Challenger to Cael/PSU/NLWC

Started by rjchev141, April 30, 2024, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrkdad and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

hammer

UW is a very good school to get an education from. Very hard to get in also. UW has a great atmosphere of get togetherness, lots of opportunities for college age students to to. With that said it comes done to as an athlete, how you feel the coaching staff is going to help you reach the athletes goals. Teammates also factor in on this also to some degree. UW may not be a good fit for some, maybe some of the athletes just want to get away from their home also and not be a short distance away.

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrestle_4ever on May 07, 2024, 01:48:05 PMDT to Stillwater and suddenly I'm a cowboys fan. Hoping the magicman can sink State College. The fate of NCAA wrestling depends on it!!

Go Pokes  ;D

Not sure if this helps college wrestling or just continues to separate the haves from the have nots. Reports are that DT is receiving a million dollar salary, a new facility and a boat full of NIL money. Apparently Chad Richison is behind it. He is a billionaire former Central Oklahoma college wrestler who has joined the giving pledge.

hammer

Quote from: vsmf2010 on May 08, 2024, 04:24:23 PM
Quote from: wrestle_4ever on May 07, 2024, 01:48:05 PMDT to Stillwater and suddenly I'm a cowboys fan. Hoping the magicman can sink State College. The fate of NCAA wrestling depends on it!!

Go Pokes  ;D

Not sure if this helps college wrestling or just continues to separate the haves from the have nots. Reports are that DT is receiving a million dollar salary, a new facility and a boat full of NIL money. Apparently Chad Richison is behind it. He is a billionaire former Central Oklahoma college wrestler who has joined the giving pledge.

Have you seen the Central Oklahoma wrestling facility and sports facility that Chad Richison has donated to at UCO? Now if he is on board at Okie State maybe now they can have the best facility in Oklahoma. Cannt hurt wrestling having a billionaire on board!

Ledger

Quote from: hammer on Yesterday at 07:11:25 AM

Go Pokes  ;D

Have you seen the Central Oklahoma wrestling facility and sports facility that Chad Richison has donated to at UCO? Now if he is on board at Okie State maybe now they can have the best facility in Oklahoma. Cannt hurt wrestling having a billionaire on board!
"Cannt hurt wrestling having a billionaire on board!" - Famous last words.

hammer

Quote from: Ledger on Yesterday at 07:50:33 AM
Quote from: hammer on Yesterday at 07:11:25 AM

Go Pokes  ;D

"Cannt hurt wrestling having a billionaire on board!" - Famous last words.

This man does alot for Oklahoma wrestling in general. Sure it doesn't bode well for others but I cannt knock a person for supporting what he loves.

Barou

Quote from: bigoil on May 06, 2024, 02:27:59 PM
Quote from: hammer on May 06, 2024, 12:43:19 PM
Quote from: bigoil on May 06, 2024, 08:50:33 AM
Quote from: Barou on May 06, 2024, 08:06:11 AM
Quote from: Numbers on May 05, 2024, 06:30:19 PMSome of you make it sound like Bono has not offered the elite Wisconsin guys.  If wrestlers choose other universities that is not all on Bono.  It takes both sides.

I think most people have been pretty clear that the frustration is Bono not signing the Wisconsin elite kids.  Isn't about not offering.  Nothing will change with Bono at the helm.  If I was a Wisconsin kid I wouldn't be looking at the Badger program. 
Can you expand on the why you would choose not to go to UW because of Bono at the helm?

Over the past few years I think all of the reasons have been stated to the point of kicking a dead horse.
Asking Barou his reason.

Well a few things I'd say.  1.) The trajectory of the program is not good.  I would think even the biggest Bono supporters would share that observation.  As it stands right now I would say PSU is more likely to have more national champions than UW has national qualifiers.  2.) The failure of the RTC.  Again, I think the biggest supporters can make the observation that the RTC has been managed poorly.  3.) Way better options.  I can't say definitively that Bono has character issues but they've certainly been called into question.  Askren never really gets into detail how things went south there but something happened and right, wrong, or otherwise there are a lot of people that trust Askren's judgment.  Probably doesn't hurt that Askren is a way more visible figure than Bono.  Doug Schwab, Brian Smith, Cael Sanderson, David Taylor, etc appear to be high character guys.  I wouldn't think twice about sending my kid to be part of Doug Schwab's program.  Do you think the same can be said about Bono?  Fortunately for Bono and his supporters McCintosh and UW don't care about wrestling.  Unless Bono can pull some magic out of the transfer portal UW is looking to have their worst year in over a decade.
JHI Mafia

dman

I'm not saying the UM does or doesn't care about wrestling, but curious as to the "why's" people think that they don't?  Seems like McIntosh goes to the matches.  They gave Bono a high paying contract.  I get the wrestling room isn't the greatest but I heard there are plans for that when they redo the football "stuff".  And the UW "sticking with" Bono doesn't mean they don't care about wrestling, but rather he really hasn't screwed up too bad at this point to just fire him with no plan in place.  I also believe if there was a chance the Badgers could get a David Taylor type head coach, and the UW had the financial backing to pay him and the wrestlers, I truly believe the UW would do so.  At the same time I have a hard time believing the UW is hurting for money.

My $0.02 for UW to even begin to compete with the Penn St.s, OKST's, etc....UW needs to bring in a big-name DT type coach, build the wrestling facility sooner than later, make amends with the Askren's (ex. hire one of them), and keep the AWA and other club kids in state at all costs.

asdf

Quote from: dman on Yesterday at 10:58:19 AMI'm not saying the UM does or doesn't care about wrestling, but curious as to the "why's" people think that they don't?  Seems like McIntosh goes to the matches.  They gave Bono a high paying contract.  I get the wrestling room isn't the greatest but I heard there are plans for that when they redo the football "stuff".  And the UW "sticking with" Bono doesn't mean they don't care about wrestling, but rather he really hasn't screwed up too bad at this point to just fire him with no plan in place.  I also believe if there was a chance the Badgers could get a David Taylor type head coach, and the UW had the financial backing to pay him and the wrestlers, I truly believe the UW would do so.  At the same time I have a hard time believing the UW is hurting for money.

My $0.02 for UW to even begin to compete with the Penn St.s, OKST's, etc....UW needs to bring in a big-name DT type coach, build the wrestling facility sooner than later, make amends with the Askren's (ex. hire one of them), and keep the AWA and other club kids in state at all costs.

IMO the UW admin and fan base do support the wrestling program.  Until recently (David Taylor, et al), Bono and his staff were one of the highest paid coaching staffs in D1 wrestling.  While the RTC appears to be doing very very little in regards to NIL, senior level development and overall anything it is right in the middle of financially funded RTCs year in and year out.

I would assume it is the responsibility of Bono and the the admin to locate the big whale type donors and that is a big part of what is missing.  If UW-Eau Claire athletic dept can find one so can Badger wrestling.

https://www.uwec.edu/finance-administration/county-materials-complex/

Another example is what Little Rock has done in a state with NO wrestling history in just 5 years. Think they were .5 points from Badgers at nationals, did not lose anyone to the portal and actually picked up a couple portal kids.  This article should be used as the template on how to build (or re--build) a program. It a pretty impressive story.

https://armoneyandpolitics.com/greg-hatcher-arkansas-wrestling/

bigoil

Agree with what is being said by Barry, dman and asdf.

If you look at badger wrestling aside from the room, which is the same room many of us went to camp in 40+ years ago the other facilities and amenities UW brings are right up there. They fly to meets, World class lifting literally outside the wrestling room, nutritionist, and strength and conditioning. A former wrestler as an AD.

RTC transparency needs to improve no doubt.