Tyler Graff

Started by theunionchair, March 20, 2014, 12:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Harris on March 22, 2014, 09:00:50 PM
Thank you Tyler Graff for being the ultimate competitor over the past 5 years.  When others jumped ship, you chose to stay and fight.  For that you have my utmost respect and admiration.  Although you did not win tonight, you already won when you chose to stay.  From all of us at Badger nation, I thank you and will miss your determination and fight.  You are a great role model and leader for the younger wrestlers on your team and throughout the state.  Well done!  You will be missed.  Without you, I don't know where the Badger wrestling team would be right now.  You were the rock that helped steady the team in the middle of a storm.  

Well said Harris!  Thank you so much Tyler for all the joy you have provided Badger Nation over the years.  Calling you a Rock for the team is absolutely correct.  You will certainly go down as one of the greatest Badger wrestlers ever! 
Thank You

CLC FAN

Thank you Tyler.  Rock in a storm is absolutely correct.

jaguarwrestler

Not disappointed that he lost just how he lost... seems like he always gives Ramos the match Ramos is looking for... can't go 8 minutes on you feet without putting Ramos in more danger. I think Tyler is a much better wrestler than Ramos just not against him. Great career great to finish in the finals, one of the best to ever come through UW
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

maggie

Yes, congrats Tyler....tough match, but not a bad yr or bad way to go out...NCAA finals...Can't beat it!...win or lose...thanks for the 5 yrs...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

stp

Quote from: Harris on March 22, 2014, 09:00:50 PM
Thank you Tyler Graff for being the ultimate competitor over the past 5 years.  When others jumped ship, you chose to stay and fight.  For that you have my utmost respect and admiration.  Although you did not win tonight, you already won when you chose to stay.  From all of us at Badger nation, I thank you and will miss your determination and fight.  You are a great role model and leader for the younger wrestlers on your team and throughout the state.  Well done!  You will be missed.  Without you, I don't know where the Badger wrestling team would be right now.  You were the rock that helped steady the team in the middle of a storm.  

hear hear!   two thumbs up

Has Graff graduated yet?  Hoping he's around for another year or two.

/e - meaning as a grad assist.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

stbird

Looked like a 1 count, a break, and a 1 count to me but these refs count back points at basically anything less than 90 degrees.  It's a shame to lose like that.  I hate it for Graff!  He's been my favorite Badger for a long time!  Congrats on a great career and I look forward to seeing him beat all these guys in freestyle in the coming years!

Quote from: woody53 on March 22, 2014, 08:59:16 PM
Daring move. Right or wrong, Thank you Tyler for taking UW Wrestling to another level!

Troy Grindle

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 22, 2014, 09:18:39 PM
Not disappointed that he lost just how he lost... seems like he always gives Ramos the match Ramos is looking for... can't go 8 minutes on you feet without putting Ramos in more danger. I think Tyler is a much better wrestler than Ramos just not against him. Great career great to finish in the finals, one of the best to ever come through UW

I thought the same thing with the match.  Tyler's style has always been wide open with a lot of offense.  He seemed like he wanted to slow the match down and push it into overtime from the get go.  Maybe a match strategy by the coaching staff?  He just didn't seem to wrestle the type of match that he usually does.

Four time all American pretty impressive.  I believe the only other 4 timer AA's at UW have been Kemp, Hauntke, and  Pritzlaff.
And then there was that.

imnofish

Great accomplishment and career from Tyler!  Not trying to be negative, but when they interviewed Barry, he stated that he had advised Tyler to only stand up from the bottom and not do any rolling around from there.  Barry's advice was obviously spot-on.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on March 23, 2014, 12:08:37 PM
Great accomplishment and career from Tyler!  Not trying to be negative, but when they interviewed Barry, he stated that he had advised Tyler to only stand up from the bottom and not do any rolling around from there.  Barry's advice was obviously spot-on.

It looked like when they showed Barry at the end of the first OT, he was a little miffed that Graff didn't attempt to win it right there before the two 30 second rounds.

theunionchair

Quote from: Houndhead on March 23, 2014, 01:04:21 PM

It looked like when they showed Barry at the end of the first OT, he was a little miffed that Graff didn't attempt to win it right there before the two 30 second rounds.

You are absolutely right, Houndhead. Barry was furious, probably because of going into overtime, but also because Tyler didn't have any quality shots against Ramos in the in the first OT. Ramos as usual, didn't have any either. Ramos learned his lesson against Colon in the Midlands and used that strategy throughout the NCAA's.

Not sure what the strategy was here, but I think if they could have called a timeout in the between the 3rd and 1st OT, the UW coaches would have told Tyler to go for broke as you have nothing to lose. Ramos is the champ and the only way to unseat him is to go after him. Ramos pressed the action without taking any shots. Tyler was backing up and, on two occasions in the third, was actually running away from him. Ramos kept going forward. I was hoping that Graff would reset and pop a deep shot on Ramos. He didn't and Ramos, again, kept going forward, never letting Graff reset.

Bottomline, smart, pressing style without taking shots by Ramos avoided any stalling calls against him. Graff could have had at least a shot to win, but he needed to get in on a double. Hard to do against Ramos.

whatever

While that certainly was shocking to see Graff committ wrestling-finals-suicide with that move, you do have to give Ramos credit.....after Graff scrambled off his back, that WAS a pretty sweet move by Ramos to take him back to his back for the 2 count.

In Ramos' case, he epitomizes the saying : it's better to win ugly than lose pretty....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

padre

Rough way to lose....went totally against what Barry was explaining about his strategy on the bottom was supposed to be just minutes earlier in the match.  Kudos on a great career!!!

hammer

Congrates to Mr Graff!!!!!!! I have enjoyed him for the past 5 years and wish him well.

I sure hope he sticks around because with guys like Theike, Taylor, Jimmez and Lantz, I believe he would be a great asset in the room for that young talent.

digimon

NCAA Finalist and 4-time AA. That's a pretty darn good resume in D1. Congrats to Tyler and the coaching staff. Graff stayed, weathered the storm when all inappropriate term3 broke loose with DP. The Badger Nation is very proud of his accomplishments and I hope he sticks around to train with our lighter weight wrestlers in the room next season.

buc65

Quote from: theunionchair on March 23, 2014, 01:27:16 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on March 23, 2014, 01:04:21 PM

You are absolutely right, Houndhead. Barry was furious, probably because of going into overtime, but also because Tyler didn't have any quality shots against Ramos in the in the first OT. Ramos as usual, didn't have any either. Ramos learned his lesson against Colon in the Midlands and used that strategy throughout the NCAA's.

Not sure what the strategy was here, but I think if they could have called a timeout in the between the 3rd and 1st OT, the UW coaches would have told Tyler to go for broke as you have nothing to lose. Ramos is the champ and the only way to unseat him is to go after him. Ramos pressed the action without taking any shots. Tyler was backing up and, on two occasions in the third, was actually running away from him. Ramos kept going forward. I was hoping that Graff would reset and pop a deep shot on Ramos. He didn't and Ramos, again, kept going forward, never letting Graff reset.

Bottomline, smart, pressing style without taking shots by Ramos avoided any stalling calls against him. Graff could have had at least a shot to win, but he needed to get in on a double. Hard to do against Ramos.

+1 ... "Ramos is the champ and the only way to unseat him is to go after him." This was the first NCAA title for Ramos.  He finished 2nd as a Junior and 3rd as a Sophomore.