WIAA

Started by crossface21, January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

"It's quite different than yelling loser. God bless you, MNbadger."

Only by the slightest of degrees which is my point that you obviously missed or can't understand.
I don't need your meaningless blessing but knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

imnofish

Quote from: bkraus on January 13, 2016, 02:54:30 PM
This is not a new thing the WIAA just brought up.  They have had some sort of policy governing sportsmanship since 1997.  I talked with our AD about this and the WIAA sends out these memos a couple times a year.  This one happened to be about sportsmanship and gave examples.  I think it is unfair of everyone blasting the WIAA like they have been, and I have been outspoken about WIAA decisions in the past. 

I can tell you at our school, we had a PBIS initiative about sportsmanship and how to act at events.  It helped out the level of sportsmanship at our events a lot.  It made the students think about what they were saying and it did great things.  I just think that is what the WIAA was trying to do, just didn't get it across in the best manner.

+1 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wraslfan

Quote from: MNbadger on January 13, 2016, 06:29:56 PM
"It's quite different than yelling loser. God bless you, MNbadger."

Only by the slightest of degrees which is my point that you obviously missed or can't understand.
I don't need your meaningless blessing but knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.
I didn't miss your hysterical angst, errrrr....your point.  It's just that I don't waste my time trying so hard to find something to be offended by, or creating something to worry about as (apparently) some like you do.  I know it's all the rage now, but I don't care for it.  I find yelling "AIRBALL" funny and it's also fun for the students cheering their school on.  Kind of like when students stomp their feet in the stands when someone is put to their back in a wrestling match.  If the athletes with that delicate an ego can't handle these scenarios, they should take up sewing, join choir, or find another hobby that won't ever create any embarrassment or criticism to harm their fragile minds.   

MNbadger

Yelling "airball" (just one example) is nothing like stomping your feet.  A very poor comparison at best.
You need to be intellectually honest here.  Why do you ( does anyone) yell "airball" (again, just one example)?  You are making fun of a player for missing the shot, or trying to encourage them to miss.  Is this not taunting?  I believe a player would be penalized for just such behavior.
As far as you thinking yelling "airball" funny that is enough said about you.  Maybe someone else thinks yelling "loser" or "you suck" is funny (both of which I have heard at sporting events so people DO think these things are funny and appropriate).  
And I think you are going way over the top in seeing any "hysterical angst" in my post.  I am simply pointing out the weakness of your position on this.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

aarons23

Quote from: MNbadger on January 13, 2016, 09:27:21 PM
Yelling "airball" (just one example) is nothing like stomping your feet.  A very poor comparison at best.
You need to be intellectually honest here.  Why do you ( does anyone) yell "airball" (again, just one example)?  You are making fun of a player for missing the shot, or trying to encourage them to miss.  Is this not taunting?  I believe a player would be penalized for just such behavior.
As far as you thinking yelling "airball" funny that is enough said about you.  Maybe someone else thinks yelling "loser" or "you suck" is funny. 

You are being way too judgemental. ....and certainly overboard on your line of thinking on this....your not looking for a position on the WIAA board are you......every chant mentioned in the wiaa letter was nothing to be offended about.  Lifes not rainbows and unicorns.....especially not sports.  My daughter gets it all the time when she gets a foul or shoots an airball ( actually this chant doesnt happen that often) .  Two weeks ago my daughter fouled out.....the entire crowd errupted in cheers. ...at first it bothered me that grown adults would cheer this....but then I realized it was truly a comiment to her and her ability.  After the game I asked her about it.  She said "dad i dont pay attention to that.....they are just cheering on their team and having fun"
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: wraslfan on January 13, 2016, 02:40:45 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on January 13, 2016, 09:49:32 AM
Wraslfan, miss the political threads?  ::)
Not really. I'm sorry if that "offended" you.  ;) Liberals are the ones acting on this feel good garbage. Kind of hard to deny that. Just pointing out the obvious, if that's politically incorrect, I'm sorry.

typical from your side, point out what to fear and who to fear but have no real solution about to extort fear!

I have no problem with  letting the kids have some fun. Certain chants and such for a parent I actually enjoy them during a game. I like watching the home teams fans and such.

I do have a problem with parents and students getting real personal or out and out taunting an opposing athlete. No just for it and plus they are high school kids.

This has become a laughing stock situation on Minnesota radio. Heck even the KARE 11 anchor Randy Shaver was speachless when told about these so called bands!

I also cannt help but laugh at the weekly or bi-weekly emails I get forwarded to me about what the WIAA wants. Certain undergarments, what they can wear or not or how those kids should act. Really is the WIAA the moral police also?

I say the WIAA should worry about making sure they championships are set and have guidelines and then leave it up to the schools for they just plain stupid stuff.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Schools have a responsibility to help students learn to be productive, respectful adults. Failure to provide guidance in that regard leads to less self-control in a variety of settings, including the classroom. The kids see the athletic facilities as a part of their overall school, so attitudes and behaviors in one part of the school tend to also appear in other areas. School leaders have the challenge of creating and maintaining a culture of responsibility and respect, so students are more likely to succeed socially and academically. We adults see school athletic events as an entertainment source, thus mirroring our attitudes and actions as pro sports fans. In reality, they are not the same. They have different purposes and are really focused on different beneficiaries.  I think we ought to at least be able to acknowledge that and appreciate the intent of the WIAA, however misguided we might perceive it to be. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wraslfan

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 13, 2016, 10:25:37 PM
Not really. I'm sorry if that "offended" you.  ;) Liberals are the ones acting on this feel good garbage. Kind of hard to deny that. Just pointing out the obvious, if that's politically incorrect, I'm sorry.

typical from your side, point out what to fear and who to fear but have no real solution about to extort fear!

I have no problem with  letting the kids have some fun. Certain chants and such for a parent I actually enjoy them during a game. I like watching the home teams fans and such.

I do have a problem with parents and students getting real personal or out and out taunting an opposing athlete. No just for it and plus they are high school kids.

This has become a laughing stock situation on Minnesota radio. Heck even the KARE 11 anchor Randy Shaver was speachless when told about these so called bands!

I also cannt help but laugh at the weekly or bi-weekly emails I get forwarded to me about what the WIAA wants. Certain undergarments, what they can wear or not or how those kids should act. Really is the WIAA the moral police also?

I say the WIAA should worry about making sure they championships are set and have guidelines and then leave it up to the schools for they just plain stupid stuff.
Typical of "my side" to point out the facts? My point (though annoying to you and your side) is true. These idiotic rules are always done from "your side"....always. Why would I, or anyone propose a solution when there isn't a problem? That's what the WIAA did here. They made up a problem. Like I said, they are looking for something to be offended by. This has become a national laughing stock, not just in MN. The only two people I can find that think this is a good idea are MNbadger and Imnofish. They are entitled their opinion, but I'm entitled to disagree. You apparently feel the same way I do about the ruling, it's just that you don't like that I accurately pointed out the people that are responsible for these types of rules.   

ramjet

I am thinking this is getting blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION,

The WIAA simply sent out a reminder about sportsmanship and frankly reasonable behavior. Each School Diatrict has the responsibility to enforce rules in thier house. Most Districts do good job of this. Let's not get carried away on this. The original issue social media and total disrespect and vulgar language just brought to the surface a real issue that being social media. The WIAA does not have the authority to circumvent the 1st Amendment of the Consistution nor are they trying too. They just want to remind everyone that using vulgar language in a chant etc is poor behavior and poor sportsmanship. It not like they have 1000 special agents to enforce some unenforceable edict.

Calm down its just a memo.

Our society is SOOOOOOO overprotective it's just obscene.

bigoil

Sending a reminder to use good sportsmanship is being responsible.

Sending out a memo on what the WIAA feels would NOT be good sportsmanship is within their control and the majority have "voted" that they disagree with the words the WIAA finds NOT good sportsmanship.

Could you imagine if the NCAA told Duke they couldn't jump up and down while the opponent is shooting free throws?

Blair Walsh needs it quiet to kick his game winning field goal :)

Dale Einerson

I believe the WIAA over-reacted, and significantly. I think the national attention to the WIAA over-reaction is well deserved.  Sometimes life in the bubble needs to be questioned, this is one of those times.

Love the duct tape over the mouths. Creative, fun; point made. Reminds me of the time the Lodi H.S. student body put tape on their backsides before the forced "Day of Silence" pep rally.

My Uncle was on the Board of Controls for the WIAA years ago, very much looking forward to lunch on Monday with him, will be interested to learn of his perspective.

Did anybody tell Iowa before they come to the Kohl Center tomorrow night?  And, suggest a big soda over/under bet for the first taker...how many more Iowa fans will be in attendance than Wisconsin fans?

MNbadger

To be honest the NCAA and NBA are not WIAA.  High school is very different from college and professional sports. 
Instead of "airball", is it fair to yell 'miss" and clap any time a HS basketball player misses?

I can honestly say I have not ever done any of these type of chants at games (including when I was younger but to be up front, you'd never see me at a basketball game anyway).  I try to cheer for my team and cheer a great takedown, escape or goal.

No one is saying you can't cheer.  Odds are people will still yell "airball" but if you are honest with yourself you know this is a negative thing to do.  Just because we have always done it does not make it ok.  Just because you find it fun does not make it ok either  History is full of examples.

Overall this really means little to me.  I just have trouble when I see people screaming and squealing, trying to justify their actions and defend something while not being intellectually honest.

littleguy301

Quote from: wraslfan on January 14, 2016, 06:54:45 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on January 13, 2016, 10:25:37 PM

Typical of "my side" to point out the facts? My point (though annoying to you and your side) is true. These idiotic rules are always done from "your side"....always. Why would I, or anyone propose a solution when there isn't a problem? That's what the WIAA did here. They made up a problem. Like I said, they are looking for something to be offended by. This has become a national laughing stock, not just in MN. The only two people I can find that think this is a good idea are MNbadger and Imnofish. They are entitled their opinion, but I'm entitled to disagree. You apparently feel the same way I do about the ruling, it's just that you don't like that I accurately pointed out the people that are responsible for these types of rules.   

"MY SIDE" what the heck? I have clearly stated I do NOT mind these things, I only mind when they get personal from parents or students no need from that. Also group swearing chants at the high school level are out for me but have fun with airball and ones like that.

So easy to point out what is wrong, who is as fault but offer not substance of your own.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

ramjet

Quote from: bigoil on January 14, 2016, 09:39:35 AM
Sending a reminder to use good sportsmanship is being responsible.

Sending out a memo on what the WIAA feels would NOT be good sportsmanship is within their control and the majority have "voted" that they disagree with the words the WIAA finds NOT good sportsmanship.

Could you imagine if the NCAA told Duke they couldn't jump up and down while the opponent is shooting free throws?

Blair Walsh needs it quiet to kick his game winning field goal :)

Ha ha the point being everyone is pretty much ignoring the edict.

As far the WIAA overreacting; who has seen the memo?  What precisely does it say? Word for word.

bigoil

Google it ram. It reminds of sportsmanship then goes on to list such chants as airball, etc.