Sites needed- Postseason

Started by DarkKnight, December 18, 2020, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkKnight

I see on the www.wiaawi.org page there are still sites needed for some regionals and sectionals. Also probably sites needed for state tourneys.

I am hopeful some facilities will be stepping forward to host.

tomfox

I talked our AD at last nights duel meet. He said Rhinelander is welling to host D1 State in our new dome, but would need help from the WIAA in running the tourney. It sounds like they talked about it briefly a few weeks ago. I hope they connect and get it worked out.

padre

Quote from: tomfox on December 19, 2020, 06:47:49 AM
I talked our AD at last nights duel meet. He said Rhinelander is welling to host D1 State in our new dome, but would need help from the WIAA in running the tourney. It sounds like they talked about it briefly a few weeks ago. I hope they connect and get it worked out.

Awesome to hear.  They definitely have the facility.

Rumor is there won't be fans so unfortunately these sites will have to sacrifice the money making for a year.  I hope they will.

bigoil

I have no idea on plans for fans but WIAA doubles the capacity allowed by most schools for Football. Had to allow 4 people in per player if you were to host where as many districts had only allowed 2 spectators during the regular season. It was also free to attend during the regular season but $6 for playoff.

DarkKnight

No fans physically present should be fine with us all.

However, we fans should pitch in money to help this go, and then be able to watch these tournies online as they are happening. The host site can still make a little money and everyone can be happy.

bigoil

It looks like Volleyball allowed fans (2-4 per player) does anyone no for sure?

Alumni

Fans? Tournament series? You must be hearing things most of us aren't. Has the WIAA made a statement I haven't heard about?
Didn't think so.

DarkKnight

Quote from: Alumni on December 20, 2020, 01:16:41 AM
Fans? Tournament series? You must be hearing things most of us aren't. Has the WIAA made a statement I haven't heard about?
Didn't think so.

Alumni, I'm sure you know what fans are, and what a tournament series is.

littleguy301

Quote from: DarkKnight on December 20, 2020, 12:27:10 PM
Quote from: Alumni on December 20, 2020, 01:16:41 AM
Didn't think so.

Alumni, I'm sure you know what fans are, and what a tournament series is.

I think we will hear more over the holidays
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

NoFooForU

I attended the Christmas Sparty event this past weekend in Wis. Dells.  They had 40 HS dual teams on Friday.  Teams/Kids wrestled 5-6 duals.  I'm sure there were over 1,000 spectators.  Oh yeah, there was also a youth dual event and youth tournament on Friday.  Saturday they had the individual tournament. 

These events can happen safely.  WIAA.... take notice.  You're not the only game in town.  Learn something from the private sector. 

MatScoutWillie

SCHOOLS HAVE TO STEP UP AND HOST!!! IF THEY DON'T, IT'S AN EASY OUT FOR THE WIAA. 

DocWrestling

Imagine being an AD asked to host.  Think of all the hassles in management with likely backlash from community and school board along with no monetary incentive.  This could be a bigger hurdle than we think.

Basically asking an AD to give up a Saturday to be mask police and make no money for your school all the while ticking off teachers, custodians, etc for bringing in more risk of exposure.

I think some of the best wrestling communities will be willing to step up but how many are there?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on December 22, 2020, 01:56:48 PM
Imagine being an AD asked to host.  Think of all the hassles in management with likely backlash from community and school board along with no monetary incentive.  This could be a bigger hurdle than we think.

Basically asking an AD to give up a Saturday to be mask police and make no money for your school all the while ticking off teachers, custodians, etc for bringing in more risk of exposure.

I think some of the best wrestling communities will be willing to step up but how many are there?
I think there were about 7 missing, almost all in Division 1. Some of those could be doubled up as regional/sectional sites.

DocWrestling

In general the great majority of schools that are still virtual are in D1
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!