Did you know D1 State bracket matrix only uses 7 brackets?

Started by Micah, February 17, 2019, 10:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micah

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Publications/Winter_Sport_Regs/wrestlingtournregs.pdf

You can view all 7 possible brackets on page 13 of the PDF.  As you can guess with only 7 possible brackets not all the possible matches are loaded into the matrix.  Some sectionals are never grouped in the same qtr bracket unless they wrestle first round.  

Example:  sectional G is never in a qtr bracket with sectional E unless they wrestle first round.  

This means the champs from those sectionals will never be in the same qtr bracket.  If you look at your sectional and all 7 different brackets you will notice your sectional champ will be paired with the same 2-3 sectionals in every bracket.

Example: G champ is paired in qtrs with F and H champ 3 times, A champ 1 time.

G champ is never paired in qtrs with B, C, D, E champ

What do you think about the matrix?

Micah

It's only sectional champs that cannot Be in the same qtr bracket.

Example: sectional E Champ 106 Rivera Stoughton - sectional G champ Men Falls. These two kids can never be in the same qtr bracket.  

The winner/loser of these sectionals can be paired rd 1.  But there is not a bracket draw where these two sectional champs can meet round 2

Micah

You will find that the (stoughton sectional E) and (Arrowhead Sectional G) winner and loser match up twice in round 1 (126,182). I bet you cannot find a single bracket where a champ from E and G can meet round 2 if they both win.

126 is bracket 1 on the matrix the bracket number counts up each weight.

132 - 2
138 - 3
145 - 4
152 - 5
160 - 6
170 - 7
182 - 1 and the cycle starts over again

195 is the same exact bracket as 132

Micah

Here are sectional assignments to go along with corresponding letter.  For those of you that looked at the matrix on the pdf.

https://www.wiwrestling.com/2019-wiaa-high-school-sectional-regional-assignments/

Micah

Qtr bracket sectional champ pairings

Sectional A champ is paired in the qtrs with the champ from every sectional

Sectional B: A-1, C-3, H-3 (never paired with D, E, F, G)
Sectional C: A-1, B-3, D-3 (never paired with E, F, G, H)
Sectional D: A-1, C-3, E-3 (never paired with B, F, G, H)
Sectional E: A-1, F-3, D-3 (never paired with B, C, G, H)
Sectional F: A-1, E-3, G-3 (never paired with B, C, D, H)
Sectional G: A-1, F-3, H-3 (never paired with B, C, D, E)
Sectional H: A-1, B-3, G-3 (never paired with C, D, E, F)

It is like this every year

Micah

D1 113 Bird and Minor had a 42% chance of meeting second round if they both won sectionals.  Sounds pretty random to me, hello Thursday night  :-\

Same for Spuhler vs Whitehead 42% chance

But at 145 O'Toole vs Mechler 0% to meet in qtrs if both win sectionals.

As I am no math genius but I do recon the probabilities for every qtr final match between sectional champs should be around 14%.  As you can see some work needs to be done here.

M-Town Fan

While I am in support of seeding the individual state tournament, a way to rid the problems that Micah discussed above would be to arrange the bracketing matrix in a round robin format, where sectional champion A is always in the same spot (just like it is now) but the other sectional champions move clockwise in each bracket. For example, I have the seven different bracket styles that would be used. In the first example, sectional champ A faces sectional champ E in the quarterfinals, B vs. F, C vs. G, and D vs. H. Each example below would be used twice making sure that there are two brackets at most where one sectional champion faces another sectional champion, as opposed to the current matrix where sectional champ G only has the chances of going against three other champions. Like I said before, I am in favor of seeding the sectional champions but if we aren't going to seed them let's at least get rid of some of the monotony that the current matrix provides.

ABCD
EFGH

AEBC
FGHD

AFEB
GHDC

AGFE
HDCB

AHGF
DCBE

ADHG
CBEF

ACDH
BEFG

buc65

They use 7 matrices because there are 14 weight classes.

106 & 152 will use the the same matrix, 113 & 160, 120 & 170, etc...

They randomly choose which matrix will go to which weights each year, so no one knows where they'll end up (1st place of A on top and 2nd place A on bottom).

Micah

Quote from: buc65 on February 17, 2019, 07:45:49 PM

They randomly choose which matrix will go to which weights each year, so no one knows where they'll end up (1st place of A on top and 2nd place A on bottom).

Wrong they use 1 matrix with only 7 possible brackets.  The matrix is not even a full matrix, see above.

It's the same matrix every year.  Next year I will be able to tell exactly the three sectional champs my guy can draw if he wins his sectional. 

Example: Sectional G champ has roughly a 43% chance to draw F or H sectional champ in their qtr bracket and roughly 14% chance of drawing A

I can even tell you the odds a sectional G champ will have of ending up on the same side of the bracket as any sectional champ. 

Example: Sectional G champ has a 72% chance of being on the same side as Sectional H champ

I have looked at this pretty thorough since beginning of January. I can tell you the odds of any sectional champ matching up in the qtrs or semis with any other sectional champ and they are not all even odds lol

The only thing I cannot predict is the draw where they start the brackets.  This year bracket 1 is 126.  I thought 285 would be bracket 1.  I thought the bracket order would match 2012 I was banking on the wiaa being lazy and just rolling the order over🤷‍♂️ I was wrong.  So I can't predict first round matches, but after round 1 if you want to know who your guy will draw hit me up.  I am collecting  this data so we shall see if a pattern develops. 

buc65

Quote from: Micah on February 17, 2019, 07:48:57 PM

Wrong they use 1 matrix with only 7 possible brackets.  The matrix is not even a full matrix, see above

Great, they use one 8x2 matrix with 7 possible brackets.  The matrix is a full matrix because it covers all 16 spots.  

Not all possible brackets are included as possibilities, because we have 14 weight classes.  They randomly assign a bracket to cover weights 106 & 152, they randomly assigne another bracket to cover weights 113 & 160, and so on until all 7 possible brackets are assigned to two weight classes that are 7 spots apart from each in weight class order.

Micah

Quote from: buc65 on February 17, 2019, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: Micah on February 17, 2019, 07:48:57 PM

Wrong they use 1 matrix with only 7 possible brackets.  The matrix is not even a full matrix, see above

Great, they use one 8x2 matrix with 7 possible brackets.  The matrix is a full matrix because it covers all 16 spots.  

Not all possible brackets are included as possibilities, because we have 14 weight classes.  They randomly assign a bracket to cover weights 106 & 152, they randomly assigne another bracket to cover weights 113 & 160, and so on until all 7 possible brackets are assigned to two weight classes that are 7 spots apart from each in weight class order.

So it's acceptible that every Sectional champ other than A can only get paired up the same three possible sectional champs every year?

Micah

Here is a visual of the brackets this is a google sheet so feel free to make copies and see if you can figure out the bracket rotation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nyNhz2tWrRUrRz8wU4VIAyTX32cXPAXlJEYFLBA8X1M/edit#gid=171225999

DocWrestling

I am lost on all the math, etc but if true it should be changed.  With trackwrestling it would be easy to just randomly draw in the 8 sectionals winners and then just randomly draw in the sectional runners ups on opposite side of sectional champions.  We have these things called computers now to take over for all the nerds that created these matrices in the first place.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!