Girls At State

Started by upnortwrastlin, February 12, 2019, 01:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnortwrastlin

With girls wrestling in WI growing, I've been curious. We all know Lampe and Kilty with their outstanding performances. Have any other girls made the state tournament? How many have made sectionals?

M-Town Fan

#1 Rachel Trevino of Wausau West and #2 Josie Bartishofski of River Falls square off in the first round at the Menomonie sectional this weekend at 106!

mrv

D3 @ 120 Gabby Skidmore will stand a great chance of getting out of her sectional.  Would be the only female wrestler to qualify at a class above 106.  That's a very impressive accomplishment.

Rebecca Golueke

Another Regional Champion this year is Elizah Leonard from Wisconsin Dells(D2) at 120.  Other Sectional Qualifiers that I know of are Mateah Roehl from Johnson Creek(D3) at 113, Sarah Jankowski from Cudahy(D1) at 113, Gwen Golueke (2017 Regional Champion) from Poynette(D3) at 120, and Sofia Brynman-Metcalf from Jefferson(D2) at 126. Girls qualifying for Sectionals has occurred in recent years. The growth of female wrestling has expanded in Wisconsin and the WIAA needs to really look at sanctioning female wrestling as they are falling behind other states supporting and sanctioning female wrestlers.

OddDuck

Quote from: Rebecca Golueke on February 12, 2019, 05:01:23 PM
Another Regional Champion this year is Elizah Leonard from Wisconsin Dells(D2) at 120.  Other Sectional Qualifiers that I know of are Mateah Roehl from Johnson Creek(D3) at 113, Sarah Jankowski from Cudahy(D1) at 113, Gwen Golueke (2017 Regional Champion) from Poynette(D3) at 120, and Sofia Brynman-Metcalf from Jefferson(D2) at 126. Girls qualifying for Sectionals has occurred in recent years. The growth of female wrestling has expanded in Wisconsin and the WIAA needs to really look at sanctioning female wrestling as they are falling behind other states supporting and sanctioning female wrestlers.

Great information. Thanks for updating us :)

I feel great strongly about Skidmore's chances of making it to state. She's extremely tough... I hope she gets the job done.

I hope WIAA sanctions female wrestling in one of the next few years. I think it may happen.

ramjet

Quote from: Rebecca Golueke on February 12, 2019, 05:01:23 PM

Great info and I absolutely agree. Come on WIAA let's get with it on girls wrestling!

Steve Heinzl

That's good to hear Woody and long overdue. These girls deserve a chance to show what they can do in their own division. Or at least in my opinion.

Handles II

I'm a big fan of this idea but a couple of things...1. It should be set up from the start as 7-12th grade are combined and can wrestle either JV or Varsity at any of those grades.  2. We must acknowledge (since there is a current post about participation), that our boys teams will actually lose numbers statewide when we remove our current females. Not a huge number, but still a number. Quite a few teams have females in a varsity spot.

Quack

Quote from: Handles II on February 14, 2019, 11:56:16 AM
I'm a big fan of this idea but a couple of things...1. It should be set up from the start as 7-12th grade are combined and can wrestle either JV or Varsity at any of those grades.  2. We must acknowledge (since there is a current post about participation), that our boys teams will actually lose numbers statewide when we remove our current females. Not a huge number, but still a number. Quite a few teams have females in a varsity spot.

So are you kinda saying we shouldn't got this route, since the boys numbers are slipping and the girls numbers that are rising and keeping the over all numbers higher?

I for one, for my girls, would love to have a spot they can really be showcased at. Having a "State Tourney" for them that is held like  JV meet or an Weekend Youth Tourney, just doesn't do them and their hard work any justice.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

firemanscarry

Since girls are most likely going to be all in one division, I would love to see them worked into the schedule at boys' state. Wrestle Thursday morning all the way up to semifinals. Throw the semifinals in on Friday with the boys. Have the girls' final at the same time as the boys. It would be like we have four divisions instead of three.

The more we treat the girls like equals, the faster the sport will grow for them. I'm also a big believer in the notion that the bigger girls' wrestling gets in the state, the bigger the entire sport gets. Who are most of the fans at tourneys? Wrestlers and former wrestlers. They, along with parents and coaches who have developed our wrestlers, are the knowledgeable fan base that appreciates good wrestling. The more former wrestlers out there a decade from now, the bigger a deal wrestling becomes to everyone.

Wrestling is always a sport on the chopping block at some schools when budgets get tight. More former wrestlers means more outspoken advocates for the sport at those school board meetings.

I want to see more girls wrestling. I'd love to see more colleges develop women's programs, too. Yes, part of me wants it because I believe it's good for the sport as a whole, but also because I'm one of those people who really believe that the sport is good for the girls themselves.
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

DocWrestling

The WIAA does not allow any 7th or 8th grader to compete in a WIAA high school event.  I would consider it an extreme long shot that they will open that box with girls wrestling so don't hold your breath.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DocWrestling

Are there any discussions at the national or state level to create different weight classes for the girls?   It does not seem to make sense to have them use the same weight classes.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Rebecca Golueke

I feel qualifying for the state tournament based on the points the girls "rack up" during the four current tournaments the WIAA has offered with girls divisions would not be a fair qualifier. #1- Not all the female wrestlers in the state of Wisconsin are aware of these tournaments that are being offered.  Believe it or not, coaches, and/or AD's are not passing the information to the girls and their families. #2- The schools would have to be willing to provide transportation and a high school coach would have to be willing to coach at these tournaments. Again, believe it or not, not all schools/coaches are willing to do this.  As a WIAA event, it would have to be a high school coach not a parent. #3- As stated before, some of these girls fill varsity team positions.  They would have to not participate in four of their team tournaments.  Yes, it is an individual sport, but also is a team sport. Yes, it would have to be a choice the girls make, but they would need the support of the team, coaches, and school. I may be wrong, but aren't these tournaments listed as JV? Why would a wrestler give up a Varsity tournament to wrestle in a JV and not have it count for her record?

I like the idea of having the girls division wrestle Thursday morning at the State tournament, semi finals on Friday, and finals on Saturday the same time as the boys. That would be a wrestling showcase for all.

Handles II

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 14, 2019, 03:29:25 PM

The WIAA does not allow any 7th or 8th grader to compete in a WIAA high school event.  I would consider it an extreme long shot that they will open that box with girls wrestling so don't hold your breath.

I realise that, but this should be a sport where it is heavily pushed. And who knows, maybe it could work and then be adopted in other sports as well. Swimming and gymnastics come to mind.