Thanks Coach - the impact of Tom McGarvie

Started by TriD, July 20, 2018, 08:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TriD

For those of you who do not know, Tom had a significant impact on to two of Wisconsins National Champions in Fargo this year.

Nearly 4 decades ago, Coach Tom McGarvie started a youth wrestling club in Prairie du Chien.  It was there where the dads of Tyler (Dow) and Tyler (Hannah) were teammates in the youth program that was started in a community that didn't have a wrestling history. 

Pretty neat that all of these years later these two win National Titles in Fargo the same year.

Had it not been for Coach Tom McGarvie, I know for sure at least one of the Tyler's would not have been where he is today.

If you get a chance, thank the ones who got you started in wrestling, you never know where the sport will take you.

Thanks Coach!
Jr.

bigoil

He is a great steward for WI wrestling and this just adds to the resume, thank you for sharing.

Ghetto

Tom has done so much for the sport. We'll never know how far his influence has reached.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Jimmy

npope

Indeed, kudos to Tom and all of those other coaches that have done so much for so many.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

hanbil

Mel is completely spot on with that post. I remember back to my first practice at the B.A. Kennedy gymnasium.  Thank you Coach for giving kids an opportunity.

Tom is an all around great person.  The Wisconsin wrestling community is fortunate to have him involved in our sport.

Thanks Tom!

Dave Gerber

littleguy301

If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

OneEyedFatMan

"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

maggie

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

Great to hear things like this. Givers don't get the notoriety they should. Thanks for giving 100% Tom. You're a gem.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DocWrestling

Tom deserves many credits and thanks for sharing.

Made me think of my first wrestling experiences and coaches.  My parents know nothing about wrestling when I started.  Great memories to think about and treasure after all this time.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DKelly28

I absolutely agree with Mel and Bill (and everyone else in this thread), Tom is a tremendous asset for wrestling in WI and he doesn't get enough credit for helping to push PdC Wrestling and Baseball to the next level...people forget that he helped get the main baseball diamond at Prairie High built in 1983.

Check out these photos of Tom at work at PdC -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/DKelly28/20180730_113344_zpskqgt0cbn.jpg - from March 1981.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/DKelly28/20180730_111619_zpsm9kvisd4.jpg - from April 1983.