Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

Dear coaches from Hartford and Sheboygan South,

We already have Nicolet and Wisconsin Lutheran, plus us (WFB) at our JV tournament on Jan 26. Come on down and we will make a five woman bracket with all ranked girls at 220/285.

Make it happen.

Email me at wfbwrestling@mac.com

Bring your boys too if you want.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ocwrestler

upnortwrastlin

TomM

Will update the girls rankings next week.

Taking longer than expected....
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

woody53

Four of the young ladies have volunteered to be Mat Runners at State this year. Unless they make it. Very Cool to see the internet from them and the sport.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

firemanscarry

Does anyone know if the WIAA is even considering creating a girls' tournament series?

It almost seems like they might have girls enough to do it, but logistics are kind of tough.

Woody's mention of the girls being runners at State (if they don't make it) kind of made me think that maybe there could be a way to run the girl's tourney as a single division with the sectionals (I don't think numbers justify regionals) taking place a little earlier in the season than conference and regional weekend. Girls on their school's main varsity roster could still compete in the traditional tournament series as well. Not too difficult so far, but then the problem becomes when do we wrestle the Girls' State Tourney?

I had thought of maybe starting their tourney on Thursday morning, finishing semifinals Thursday before the boys D1 Prelims and then using four mats for the finals and having the girls in the March of Champions and wrestling finals concurrent with the boys. It could be a tremendous boost for girls' wrestling to have their finals in front of the greatest crowd in Wisconsin High School sports.

Then there's that pesky logistics thing again. School may have same coaches for boys and girls. While a school might have two wrestlers going at once for any tourney, it could conceivably come down to having a boy and a girl wrestling at the same time in a state final. That's a pretty rough choice to make for a coach. Also, I'm not sure how four mats would look. I was thinking probably put them in a square in the center as opposed to end-to-end-to-end-to-end.

The other problem becomes what to do with with a girl who makes both tourneys. It's not realistic to wrestle both in one weekend. I think they would have to choose.

I know it seems like I'm kind of jumping the gun. Girls high school wrestling is just really gaining traction in the state. But I feel like we're at a moment where we could quickly grow not just girls' wrestling, but wrestling as a whole. Having a girls' state tourney "legitimizes" their efforts, and could quite possibly inspire more girls. Schools and communities tend to acknowledge athletes that make it to state, oftentimes in a big way. Younger girls might take interest because of that. And the more people that get involved in wrestling at any level and in any way, the better it is for the sport as a whole.
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

Quack

I like some of your Ideas, and I know Woody already has aloof it figured out. But we could kinda follow the youth, as the Qualifier/Sectionals. You go to the one your High School goes to, and Wrestle. If you have girls filling a weight on your team, at the Sectional Qualifier, since it would be sanctioned for the girls, they would wrestle with the girls and not the guys. As far as coaching, most places have enough coaches to cover more than one kid at a time. You see it at every tourney. Why would this be any different?
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

firemanscarry

Quote from: Quack on February 07, 2019, 05:27:49 AM
I like some of your Ideas, and I know Woody already has aloof it figured out. But we could kinda follow the youth, as the Qualifier/Sectionals. You go to the one your High School goes to, and Wrestle. If you have girls filling a weight on your team, at the Sectional Qualifier, since it would be sanctioned for the girls, they would wrestle with the girls and not the guys. As far as coaching, most places have enough coaches to cover more than one kid at a time. You see it at every tourney. Why would this be any different?

It only feels really different to me if it would happen during the championship matches. As far as I know, no coach has ever had to miss a kid's State Finals match to coach another kid. We're still talking about a pretty rare occurrence though. They would have to be at the same weight and from the same school and both make the finals.
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

DocWrestling

Has there been any discussion by the NFHS and state associations to have different weight classes for a girls division?

It does not make a lot of sense for the girls to have the same weight classes?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

WINfan

Im my opinion this needs to be its own separate thing.

once the WIAA sanctions girls wrestling, girls should no longer be able to compete with the boys.  Or at the very least the boys state series.  Think about it, we dont let the girls track stars run in the boys state track series.

I also think this needs to be its own event/series.  Start with a big high school until the numbers warrant moving it to a bigger venue.

Start with 8 regionals, then state kinda like it is in youth wrestling. (mentioned before)

We are putting a lot of focus on getting it started at the high school level, but I would really like to see more teams starting a K-5 or k-8 girls only program in addition to the high school, so that way the numbers increase.   We need a big conference, like maybe the Wisconsin valley to be the pioneers if they haven't done so already.

ramjet

The continued emphasis on girls wrestling is a real growth area for Wisconsin.

The efforts this year to have tournaments is and are outstanding.

Having the opportunity to have the girl on our team go to two of these was really successful and for me it was fun coaching her up. The schools need to accomedate this period they have a little thing called Title 9 . But what I have seen all the coaches get it figured out and accomedate this growth area. The reason I had to coach up this young lady athlete was the that the team had another tournamanet in another town. Next year the entire team will attend the tournamanet so that the separation does not have to happen. That said it was success in that this young lady won all her matches and took 1st in both the tournaments she attended for the girls series.

Thank you to ranking committe for the rankings. It means something and continues to promote this growing division of wrestling.