Conduct during the National Anthem

Started by grahekf, December 15, 2014, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

Quote from: bkraus on December 16, 2014, 02:55:45 PM
It started being played in Major League Baseball games during WWI in 1918 during game 1 of the World Series.  Then in WWII it was played before all baseball games and through patriotism was adopted by all the other major sports leagues.  It has since, obviously, trickled down to all athletic events.  I have no problem with it at all.  Except for long bastardized versions of it.  Maybe it is the veteran in me, but the song in it's entirety is 1 minute and 21 seconds long.  Not the Whitney Houston 5 minute version.  You want to hear the best one, search Marine Corps band Star Spangled Banner.

I'm with you. When I hear someone play/sing it straight away, no added wooo-OOOO-oooo crap, I generally compliment the performer. I just like a well trained high school band to play it straight up.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wraslfan

Quote from: bkraus on December 16, 2014, 02:55:45 PM
I have no problem with it at all.  Except for long bastardized versions of it.  Maybe it is the veteran in me, but the song in it's entirety is 1 minute and 21 seconds long.  Not the Whitney Houston 5 minute version.  You want to hear the best one, search Marine Corps band Star Spangled Banner.
I could not agree more. The five minute version meant for a reality TV show audition makes me cringe.

MNbadger

"IMO I fear you didn't analyze long enough.  Maybe because at sporting events it is a time when large gatherings of Americans are present.  This to me this is a great time to take a few minutes to show respect And thankfulness to the men and women that give all of us the opportunity to assemble.  Most of us have short memories and a reminder such as the National Anthem sure can put some things in perspective.  Why you feel Army Navy games warrant the Anthem and not other events really leaves out all of us.  I'm sure everyone of us have ties with our Armed forces.  Again To have the Anthem as a reminder for our freedoms to assemble that day should be a logical reason.  JMO."

But it has nothing to do with a sporting event.  I think this overemphasizes the importance of sports in general. 

And Aarons, yes there are good arguments not to do the anthem at sporting events, the first one being above (it has nothing to do with sports).. Do you play the anthem at a family reunion?  A huge Fashion show? (maybe some do but again, why?)
No one is prouder of their country than I. 
Yes, you can play the anthem anytime you want but to say there is no good argument against it is incorrect.
It belongs in the context of our government and functions related to it.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

aarons23

Quote from: MNbadger on December 17, 2014, 08:04:22 AM
"IMO I fear you didn't analyze long enough.  Maybe because at sporting events it is a time when large gatherings of Americans are present.  This to me this is a great time to take a few minutes to show respect And thankfulness to the men and women that give all of us the opportunity to assemble.  Most of us have short memories and a reminder such as the National Anthem sure can put some things in perspective.  Why you feel Army Navy games warrant the Anthem and not other events really leaves out all of us.  I'm sure everyone of us have ties with our Armed forces.  Again To have the Anthem as a reminder for our freedoms to assemble that day should be a logical reason.  JMO."

But it has nothing to do with a sporting event.  I think this overemphasizes the importance of sports in general. 

And Aarons, yes there are good arguments not to do the anthem at sporting events, the first one being above (it has nothing to do with sports).. Do you play the anthem at a family reunion?  A huge Fashion show? (maybe some do but again, why?)
Yes, you can play the anthem anytime you want but to say there is no good argument against it is incorrect.

There is absolutely no good argument against it...your making yourself look silly trying.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Street Glide

Quote from: aarons23 on December 17, 2014, 08:38:02 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on December 17, 2014, 08:04:22 AM

There is absolutely no good argument against it...your making yourself look silly trying.

I guess you didn't read the post closely.  The sporting event is a time when a large number of Americans are together.  As Americans We are the people and sporting events is a function of our society. 

bkraus

This came off of a government website for lawyers...

The Star Spangled Banner is played at all kinds of events. It's very common to hear it played:

◦Before the start of sporting events, from grade school baseball games to professional basketball games
◦When a US athlete wins a gold medal during the Olympic games
◦Before the age of 24/7 media, it almost always was played when television and radio stations went off the air each night. Some still play the Anthem at certain times of the day, like 12 noon or 12 midnight, though
◦On US military bases at the beginning and end of each day
◦At local festivals, fairs, or other community gatherings, especially during holidays like the Fourth of July

Take it for what it is worth....
Strive for Perfection

bigG

I like the solemnity of beginning a loud event with the anthem or pledge. Just gets everyone on the same page.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

"There is absolutely no good argument against it...your making yourself look silly trying."

Ah, the "silly" card when you really don't have a good argument against.....
I'll not post again.  The anthem simply has NOTHING to do with sports, period.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

dman

I am all for living in the US where we have our freedom to say and do things (within the law); however, I will never understand the need of some to go against something like the national anthem or find reasons why it shouldn't be played....such an odd concept to me.

aarons23

Quote from: MNbadger on December 17, 2014, 10:31:03 AM
"There is absolutely no good argument against it...your making yourself look silly trying."

Your argument holds no water......it doesn't have to have anything to do with sports....it's a time to honor our country, our flag and those who served for it.  No different than saying the pledge every morning at school.  This is America...be proud of it MNbadger .
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bkraus

Not trying to drag you into an argument, but I strongly disagree that it has nothing to do with sports.  Sports, competitions, exhibitions, whatever you want to call them are the exact place where a national anthem would be relevant.  There are some countries were anthems were mandated at any social gathering, think USSR.  We are a country for freedom of choice.  Where would a better place be to celebrate that freedom of choice then at an athletic event?  It is also a place to honor and respect the past experiences and national pride of our country.  You have the freedom to not like it, and voice that opinion.  But if you feel that strongly, then I implore you to get up out of your seat and leave the arena, gymnasium, or facility during that time. 

In our sport, the pinnacle is reaching the World or Olympic stage where the anthem becomes even more relevant in sports.  The ultimate goal at that level is winning the gold and hearing your anthem played for the world to hear.  So how does that not have anything to do with sports?  Try telling that to any world/Olympic level athlete in any sport.
Strive for Perfection

Street Glide

Of course, I wouldn't post again on such a weak argument.  From what I'm reading there are many good reasons for the anthem at sporting events.  Maybe be a UWRF thing.

OneEyedFatMan

Amen and amen.

Quote from: Dale Einerson on December 15, 2014, 03:47:05 PM
Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on December 15, 2014, 03:18:23 PM
For what its worth, I can't imagine it to be disrespectful without your hand over your heart.

In my humble opinion, I think folks ought to sing along with the music/vocalist. That would be more respectful.
But so many don't even know the lyrics, let alone the notes.

Besides that, my shoulder bugs me to hold my hand over my heart ( from getting cranked on too many times).

Please don't judge me!   :P

I appreciated the post in the past, it helped me to understand what is viewed as accepted and unaccepted.

And, OEFM...it is such a small target too... ;)
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"