"Next time he shoots, break his face"

Started by PackerFan, December 15, 2014, 06:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PackerFan

During the second round of wrestling at the Waunakee Tournament on Saturday, as my son was wrestling against his opponent, the opposing coach, who will remain nameless, shouted to his wrestler, "Next time he shoots, break his face!"  Enough said I think......

Troy Grindle

That's pretty intense. 

Are you sure the coach didn't say "next time he shoots cross face"?

And then there was that.

petertherooster

While that may seem extreme that is the mentality good wrestlers need to have

wrestle

Wrestling is about intensity, physicality, and mental toughness! No where in there is anything about causing bodily harm to anyone! Hopefully someone said something to this coach of coarse if this is what was said.  Something in the same matter happened at a tournament last weekend  where a fan yelled for a wrestler to harm another wrestler.  This is not WRESTLING! If you cheer for someone to hurt another person than simply find some other sport.

neutral

Quote from: wrestle on December 15, 2014, 08:23:31 PM
Wrestling is about intensity, physicality, and mental toughness! No where in there is anything about causing bodily harm to anyone! Hopefully someone said something to this coach of coarse if this is what was said.  Something in the same matter happened at a tournament last weekend  where a fan yelled for a wrestler to harm another wrestler.  This is not WRESTLING! If you cheer for someone to hurt another person than simply find some other sport.

+1000.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Ty Clark

Let's not go totally overboard with the PC policing. Do you think the coach really wanted his kid to "break" the other kid's face? No, he wanted him to crossface him to defend a shot. "Well, the kids don't know any better!" Let's show the kids a little respect and trust that they can understand a hyperbole. Wrestling isn't supposed to be comfortable.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

boowrestle

you can run but you cannot hide.

maggie

so true TY....you shoot, and that's the chance you take...nuff said...how bad ya want it?... heck, back in the day, a very good wrestler on the team ended up having to wear a face protector during his matches, because he had his face busted every night in practice...that was simply the norm...it's like a championship boxer, ya get used to the punches sooner or later and roll with the punches...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ramjet

Quote from: PackerFan on December 15, 2014, 06:48:58 PM
During the second round of wrestling at the Waunakee Tournament on Saturday, as my son was wrestling against his opponent, the opposing coach, who will remain nameless, shouted to his wrestler, "Next time he shoots, break his face!"  Enough said I think......

Lol I have heard allot worse from parents at yout tournaments. I bet he said cross face not break his face.

bigG

There's a fine line. As a coach, I'd yell "take his head!" or "ya gotta stick his near elbow in his ear"; among many other things that could sound like bodily harm. None intended, though. Yelling "tear it off" shouldn't get you time in the penalty box.

On the other hand, there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Lots of kids crossface like wusses. They do have to learn to be mean, and their practice partners have to acclimate to what a good one feels like. Ouch. A good one can hurt the nose, causing the one receiving it to quit on the move... or switch to a double, etc., much more quickly.

I like to talk wussy when a kid is in position to do harm. Arm bar in, bottom plants his face and shoulder (looking away) and you want your kid to shove bottoms face the other direction so he'll go over.  "Be nice with that!" :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Mack

A parent once yelled for his son to "rip my son's arm off".  His son certainly tried.  It was a pretty violent middle school match.  I questioned this father's wisdom.  I'm pretty sure there were a dozen or so more useful,  specific and sportsmanlike suggestions that dad could have yelled.  I love it when parents/coaches stay in control of their emotions. It's hard. Yelling stupid stuff is easy.

HMsDad

At a karate match once where the Sensei told Jonhhy to "Sweep the leg". Boy was Miyagi upset after that!

littleguy301

I have heard some interesting things at mat side by coaches, parents and other wrestlers. I dont think anything was met to be violent but when emotions are high at times the right things do NOT come out of the mouth by those watching.

I had a parent come up to me at a middle school event and tear me a new one because of what he though a coach on my team said. The coach didnt use the right term by saying pressure forward while riding he simply said "JAM" him. The wrestler had a 2 on 1 and used his back leg to "jam" the other forward. This parent though the coach said "JAB" him and gave me a lecture as to how poor of sports we were. I took it and said nothing because it was simply a misstake and no need to take it to the next level.

Whether it was break his face or cross face, guess I will never know but please people that are in the stands or not at mat side, what is said and what is thought to be said can be 2 different things.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Wrestling is at times a brutal sport.

With this talk of saying violent things I have to ask has anyone ever heard of a passive thing to say during a match.

here are a couple of phrases that maybe coaches should say.

"be nice when you put that arm bar in"
"when you get a double leg, set the other down as nice as you can"
"when your on the bottom, take all the time you need and slowly get to your feet if you can"
"apply pressure on the head to get his head to the mat but make sure you dont do it to hard"
"finish that single leg but please be a gentleman about the finish"

Using words like slam, drive, exploded, stuff and dump seem to have a much more violent tone to them ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Maybe not some of those, but I think "keep it legal" is good advice. "Take your time" if the kid gets opponent in the head steal.

I trust the ref to call the smashface (1pt.) v. the crossface (0 pts.).

Not to make fun of PackerFan at all; but it is interesting to think what we should call all the moves to be more PC.

Crossface - Nosegraze

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.