Minnesota vs Wisconsin, Friday 1-25-19

Started by leg turk, January 20, 2019, 02:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

Quote from: billymurphy on January 25, 2019, 09:18:10 PM
What has happened to Beau?  He rarely even scores any points anymore.

Wrestling up two weight classes?

BuckyMatt

Wow, Moran is fun to watch! His scrambling and killer instinct is awesome! Definitely has AA skill!

Taking nothing away from Thor but Gable S is the real deal, Trent could not move him, he's big and strong and wrestles mad!

Model showed a ton of guts, very impressive!!

I think we beat them next year; their 125, 133, 149, 157 are all Seniors and they won all those matches!

We were in WAY better shape than them and it wasn't close, we sprinted back to the center every time and most of them went about as slow back as you can without getting hit for stalling!

Any word on Brown, Z Wicks and Christensen's injuries and how long they are out?

GradeTough

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 25, 2019, 09:21:55 PM

No movement. No quickness. No fakes. No setups. Just ties up in neutral and hangs up. If you are up 2 weight classes the last place you want to be is in a tie up especially if you aren't even attempting to score. Hard to watch to be honest. Confidence looks shot too.

Chris Hansen

Keep in mind that Dylan is a 184 wrestling 197.  So while all those assessments are true, probably not relevant in this match as both guys are fitting in where the team allows.

imwi

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 25, 2019, 09:21:55 PM

While that's true I don't think it explains it.  He lost against Wisconsin when he was with Nebraska, I think last year, on a stall call in a low scoring match

WrestlerSB80

Definitely was wondering the same thing with Beau. Definitely hasn't been his self the last couple of seasons. Still gotta love seeing him in the W singlet though.

leg turk

It seems like most of Evan's opponents are looking to stay away from the cradle.  You can tell they don't want to make a wrong move when they are underneath. 

Jimmy

Lantz wrestled great,sure would of been cool getting close to tournament time if he could of pulled off a signature win.

wrastle63

We lost the dual, but I love the way our team fought. Minnesota's Lizak, Bleise, Brolsma, and Webster all stalled their behinds off and/or gassed.

dad 2 5

Quote from: BuckyMatt on January 25, 2019, 09:24:34 PM
Wow, Moran is fun to watch! His scrambling and killer instinct is awesome! Definitely has AA skill!

Taking nothing away from Thor but Gable S is the real deal, Trent could not move him, he's big and strong and wrestles mad!

Model showed a ton of guts, very impressive!!

I think we beat them next year; their 125, 133, 149, 157 are all Seniors and they won all those matches!

We were in WAY better shape than them and it wasn't close, we sprinted back to the center every time and most of them went about as slow back as you can without getting hit for stalling!

Any word on Brown, Z Wicks and Christensen's injuries and how long they are out?

True but
3) Minnesota

#1 at 285 Gable Steveson (Apple Valley, MN) 285

#1 at 126 Patrick McKee (St. Michael-Albertville, MN) 125

#2 at 152 Brayton Lee (Brownsburg, IN) 157

#5 at 160 Ryan Thomas (Graham, OH) 165

#15 at 195 Garrett Joles (Boyceville, WI) 197

#18 at 145 Kasper McIntosh (Portage, IN) 145

Jake Gliva (Simley, MN) 141

Caleb Rea (Weir, WV) 133

Caden Steffan (Zumbrota-Mazeppa, MN) 184

2017 Ranking: NR

plus:
Minnesota   Cael Carlson   Willmar   Minnesota   149   2019
Minnesota   Baylor Fernandes   Lockport   Illinois   157   2019
Minnesota   Kevin Meicher   Middleton   Wisconsin   157   2019
Minnesota   Rowan Morgan   Mounds View   Minnesota   184   2019
Minnesota   Marcos Polanco   Bishop Amat   California   141   2019
Minnesota   Matt Ramos   Lockport   Illinois   125   2019
Minnesota   Sebas Swiggum   Apple Valley   Minnesota   149   2019
Minnesota   Martin Wilkie   Havre   Montana   157   2019
Minnesota   Devin Winston   Park Hill   Missouri   184   2019

billymurphy

The Badgers roster is extremely thin.  With this many guys out the practices could be held in a phone booth.

Harris

Reminds me of Alvarez in his first few years.  They did not win all their games but you could see a noticeable difference in the way they played.  It took a few years for the hard work to pay off but in the end it was worth it.  My wife said to me yesterday, its amazing what a great coach can do after one of the matches.  If she can see it, I think anyone can see it.  Regardless of the rankings of the recruits coming in, I think the coaching staff has proven they can take most wrestlers and get them to perform at a higher level.  That is what is exciting to me. We all knew they would be thin at the upper weights this year.  We all knew injuries could be the biggest roadblock for the team this year.  What is exciting is that they have a no excuses mentality and just come to fight.  Very encouraging.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

dad 2 5

Quote from: billymurphy on January 26, 2019, 09:48:05 AM
The Badgers roster is extremely thin.  With this many guys out the practices could be held in a phone booth.

Hopefully CB; ZW and RC will be healthy soon. Any word on how each of them are progressing towards wrestling? Zander's match count has to pretty low. How many does he need for the tournament?

leg turk

They introduced Rotondo at 125 in the introduction.  Then they forfeited.  Is that weird?  Wouldn't they just say Wisconsin forfeits 125 during introductions?  Maybe not.  So Rotondo is hurt too, or are they saving a year for him?

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Harris on January 26, 2019, 10:22:35 AM
Reminds me of Alvarez in his first few years.
Maybe Bono wants to be an Athletic Director when he's done coaching. Name Reader his successor like Barry did withBielema.