I found us a future coach.

Started by leg turk, January 29, 2016, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

"With my degree, I'm going to coach college wrestling. That's my passion." - Alex Dieringer, Oklahoma State Wrestling
https://youtu.be/zxwMCJFEr48

npope

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 29, 2016, 01:56:10 PM
"Sometimes", having tremendous success as an athlete doesn't always translate to successful coaching. Just a few names of great athletes who didn't have success at coaching: Ted Williams,Wayne Gretsky,Magic Johnson.

You neglected to mention Barry Davis, Fish. You're slipping...unless you think he doesn't qualify for that list  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 29, 2016, 02:15:39 PM
Quote from: npope on January 29, 2016, 02:02:21 PM
"Sometimes", having tremendous success as an athlete doesn't always translate to successful coaching. Just a few names of great athletes who didn't have success at coaching: Ted Williams,Wayne Gretsky,Magic Johnson.

You neglected to mention Barry Davis, Fish. You're slipping...unless you think he doesn't qualify for that list  ;)

I would think having 3 D1 titles, and a Olympic silver medal would qualify coach Davis for my list.....The difference is that I have respect for the athletes I mentioned.  

I meant that you thought he wasn't a bad coach - not that his athletic success wouldn't qualify him. But now I am guilty of stirring the pot; I should have left well enough alone. My bad.

Nat Pope

npope

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 29, 2016, 04:03:53 PM
Quote from: npope on January 29, 2016, 02:42:16 PM

You neglected to mention Barry Davis, Fish. You're slipping...unless you think he doesn't qualify for that list  ;)

I would think having 3 D1 titles, and a Olympic silver medal would qualify coach Davis for my list.....The difference is that I have respect for the athletes I mentioned.  

Sounds like we're breaking up, Fish. "It's not you - it's me. I've changed. You can do better than me."

Nat Pope

Harris

#1, I am the biggest AD fan you'll ever know or meet in your life. I consider him part of my family. I am struggling to find the right words to voice my one and only concern in regards to AD becoming a successful D1 head coach.....AD has always been a "natural" at wrestling. He is also the strongest (p4p) human being I have ever met. Meaning, a big part of his game is "God given". "Sometimes", having tremendous success as an athlete doesn't always translate to successful coaching. Just a few names of great athletes who didn't have success at coaching: Ted Williams,Wayne Gretsky,Magic Johnson.

I'm not doubting him, anyone who does would be a fool. I'm just voicing a potential concern.

Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, Tom and Terry Brands, John Smith................Lots of great wrestlers that are great coaches also.  My hope is he turns out like these guys and has a successful coaching career.

hammen

Alex has a lot of great technique, and being mentored by those coaches in that room, I imagine he has a lot of good techniques to go with a solid training perspective that would be great tools when he decides to be a coach. The man is a winner - I'm sure that will follow him wherever he goes with this sport. Would definitely love to see him back in WI.

stp

Name Bo Jo as head coach in a couple years.  He already has years experience as a "coach" and it could also possibly lead younger brother Rocky to Madison.  

no way but wishful thinking...
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

stp

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 30, 2016, 10:34:57 AM

AD IMO, would make a better candidate. Alex beat Jordan 6-1 in the semis last year.

Funny.    Pat Smith beat Tom Ryan in the NCAA finals.  Tom Ryan is still a better coach. 

TLV

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 30, 2016, 10:39:21 AM
Question: What is the typical age of a D1 head coach when they get their 1st oppurrunity?

Late 20s/early 30s. It gives them a chance do some international wrestling if that is what they want to do and some coaching as well; i.e. Jordan Burroughs and the Brand Brothers, Gable, etc.. Or if they so choose, forget the  wrestling after college and hook up as an assistant someplace: Ryan. Coaching isn't the same as wrestling. It is certainly possible to be successful in both; i.e., Gable and Sanderson. But, it is two difference skill sets. It is very similar to musicians........enormous talent as a soloist doesn't necessarily translate to success as teacher and vice-versa. If you ask contemporary violinists who the greatest violin teacher was, I suspect that most would say: Dorothy Delay........or Joseph Gingold, you no body has ever heard of.
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

badgerjohn

Question: What is the typical age of a D1 head coach when they get their 1st oppurrunity?

Very few before 30th bday.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

stp

Quote from: The Angry Fish on January 30, 2016, 04:09:34 PM

I think it's funny you would think Jordan would be a better coach.

Why is that?  You don't believe growing up as the son of a great wrestling coach and Bo most likely instructing hundreds, if not thousands of wrestlers at his dads camps wouldn't  benefit him as a coach?  

imnofish

Quote from: TLV on January 30, 2016, 04:40:10 PM

Late 20s/early 30s. It gives them a chance do some international wrestling if that is what they want to do and some coaching as well; i.e. Jordan Burroughs and the Brand Brothers, Gable, etc.. Or if they so choose, forget the  wrestling after college and hook up as an assistant someplace: Ryan. Coaching isn't the same as wrestling. It is certainly possible to be successful in both; i.e., Gable and Sanderson. But, it is two difference skill sets. It is very similar to musicians........enormous talent as a soloist doesn't necessarily translate to success as teacher and vice-versa. If you ask contemporary violinists who the greatest violin teacher was, I suspect that most would say: Dorothy Delay........or Joseph Gingold, you no body has ever heard of.

Very good point.  I bet Lou Holtz was one heck of a football player.   ;)

Some of the best wrestling coaches in Wisconsin history never were wrestlers. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

Out of all the younger than 30 crowd of wrestlers that I think could be excellent colleges coaches, the first name that comes to the tip of my tongue is.........drum roll please.....

Kyle Dake. Out of all the former NCAA champs or college guys in the past 8-10 years I think Dake is by far the most suited to be able to walk into a college room and take over with out any long stints as an assitant on the college level.

I have read some articles that Kyle would take over and run practices while he still was competing at Cornell. Also in his first year out of college he spent that in the room as a coach also. His coach and wrestlers talked very highly of Dake and how he was very good in the room and had that room at his attention.

I also think Jordan Oliver has had some good reviews in his short stint at ASU also.

To be honest I know Jordan B is in the room but I havent heard alot about him coaching but more of being in the room.

I wouldnt mind taking a chance at a younger guy with a name to run the program. If anything it would be a shock value and a name to get some bigger recruits in the door.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 31, 2016, 05:20:13 PM
Out of all the younger than 30 crowd of wrestlers that I think could be excellent colleges coaches, the first name that comes to the tip of my tongue is.........drum roll please.....

Kyle Dake. Out of all the former NCAA champs or college guys in the past 8-10 years I think Dake is by far the most suited to be able to walk into a college room and take over with out any long stints as an assitant on the college level.

I have read some articles that Kyle would take over and run practices while he still was competing at Cornell. Also in his first year out of college he spent that in the room as a coach also. His coach and wrestlers talked very highly of Dake and how he was very good in the room and had that room at his attention.

I also think Jordan Oliver has had some good reviews in his short stint at ASU also.

To be honest I know Jordan B is in the room but I havent heard alot about him coaching but more of being in the room.

I wouldnt mind taking a chance at a younger guy with a name to run the program. If anything it would be a shock value and a name to get some bigger recruits in the door.

Isn't that what we did with the last couple of coaches at UW?  I would love to see a guy like Dake get a shot here, but would he get the administrative support needed to actually build a top program?  Nobody can get it done by themselves, unfortunately.   :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!