Little guys more athletic?

Started by npope, March 12, 2014, 12:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang Fan

You don't see many athletic 220's and 285's because most of the athletic kids with the frames to carry that weight are not wrestling, they are playing hoops.  I drooled watched the wrestlers at state in those weight classes (there was probably 6 or 7 total good wrestlers across all divisions in both weight classes IMHO) and wondered what my 5'2" 105 pound 9 year old could do with another 9 years of working his tail off when he is 6'6" and 265 pounds as long as he keeps thinking basketball is for sissies!

Really ??? ??? ??? Three Div  weight classes 220 and 285 and you saw 6 or 7 good wrestlers ??? ??? Really!!! So out of the 36 wrestlers that made the podium 6 or 7 are good wrestlers...so what are the rest of them?????? They are the best of the best in Wis and are ATHLETES!!!  Many will play Div 1 or 2 Football and some will wrestle in college at different levels. I don't know what state tournament you were at but that's not what I saw there.

thequad

I think gymnasts are the most athletic, because of all the difficult moves they  have  to make
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

imnofish

Quote from: thequad on March 13, 2014, 09:00:17 PM
I think gymnasts are the most athletic, because of all the difficult moves they  have  to make

Unless they are wrestling.  Then they get thumped by guys who don't appear to be as athletic.  Kinda' like a shot putter competing in the pole vault...  or a wrestler playing basketball, etc. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

Quote from: imnofish on March 13, 2014, 09:05:44 PM

Unless they are wrestling.  Then they get thumped by guys who don't appear to be as athletic.  Kinda' like a shot putter competing in the pole vault...  or a wrestler playing basketball, etc. 

I pole vaulted (sucked and was scared of heights ;D) and threw the shot, discus, ran the 100 and was the lead in the 4X100 relay as a high school senior. Am I athletic? I was in the 190 pound range during track season and 5'8"

I still challenge basketball players to games of horse and such. While I am getting worse and usually dont win a game I still give a good fight and go down swinging. It is amazing how some many high schoolers cannt make a layup ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 13, 2014, 09:34:13 PM
Quote from: imnofish on March 13, 2014, 09:05:44 PM

I pole vaulted (sucked and was scared of heights ;D) and threw the shot, discus, ran the 100 and was the lead in the 4X100 relay as a high school senior. Am I athletic? I was in the 190 pound range during track season and 5'8"

I still challenge basketball players to games of horse and such. While I am getting worse and usually dont win a game I still give a good fight and go down swinging. It is amazing how some many high schoolers cannt make a layup ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You are evidently a jack of all trades, athletically!   8)  In college, our wrestling team used to play full court games vs the basketball team, just to get extra conditioning.  We didn't get blown out too badly, but there was no fouling out allowed.   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

pantherphotoman

[/quote]

I still challenge basketball players to games of horse and such. While I am getting worse and usually don't win a game I still give a good fight and go down swinging.
[/quote]

LG is the only guy I know who plays full-contact horse with the basketball team!  Probably learned that from Fester.  ;D ;D

littleguy301

Quote from: pantherphotoman on March 14, 2014, 08:42:27 AM

I still challenge basketball players to games of horse and such. While I am getting worse and usually don't win a game I still give a good fight and go down swinging.
[/quote]

LG is the only guy I know who plays full-contact horse with the basketball team!  Probably learned that from Fester.  ;D ;D
[/quote]

Learned it as a part time student at FESTER U ;)

littleguy301

Quote from: coconut joe on March 14, 2014, 02:50:57 PM
We're back! We thought we had settled this topic once and for all awhile. The big guys are:

-slow moving
-weak relative to their body weight
-poor technicians
-lacking intensity
-lazy

Please note we didn't call them "fatties" this time.

What is thought of as big.

What is it.

Bo Jackson at 235 had the quickest time from home to first in his time or all-time?
Ed Coan won the strongest pound for pound weightlifter in the world at around 220.
What kind of technique are we talking about, head position, hand position or base?
Not sure of this one, Ray Lewis was pretty intense at 255.
The Rock doesnt look lazy with that build, he is around 265 and looks not to be lazy either.

Fatties, well that depends on what you think should be fatties.

Mustang Fan

We're back! We thought we had settled this topic once and for all awhile. The big guys are:

-slow moving
-poor technicians
-lacking intensity
-lazy

Care to wrestle a few of these guys?????? I'm sure it can be arranged 8)  just let me know so we can set it up

Quack

Quote from: Mustang Fan on March 14, 2014, 04:41:49 PM

-slow moving
-poor technicians
-lacking intensity
-lazy

Care to wrestle a few of these guys?????? I'm sure it can be arranged 8)  just let me know so we can set it up

Sign me up, as one of the extra big guys...;)
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

imnofish

My nephew is 6'3" and about 265.  Benches 425 and can run down a (rolling out) QB from backside DT position.  Dominated offensive and defensive line play for 3 years in one of Illinois' elite football conferences.  Also a good open field tackler.  One of the few high school heavyweights I've seen who shot a great high crotch, too.  No longer competing in sports, as he is focusing on college academics (Chancellor's List every semester, so far) and working part-time to help pay expenses.  Still lifts like a madman, though.  Certainly not much fat on the guy.  Definitely very athletic....   and one heck of a musky fisherman, too! 

Army Ant

There is plenty of overlap, but on average small guys can move their own body around better than bigger guys. They tend to be stronger for their bodyweight and also have better endurance.

It isn't a coincidence that there is an inverse correlation between the weight class and the amount of action in the match. Big guys may be able to move just as quickly for short periods of time, but they aren't as coordinated and they get tired quicker. Even the big guys that don't have as much fat. Take one guy that weighs 110 and another guy that weighs 220. The 220 pounder probably doesn't have lungs that are twice the size and a heart that is twice as efficient as the guy that weighs 110. He probably has longer legs though so there is still a good chance that he can beat the 110-pounder in a 2-mile run.

Similarly, put these 2 guys on the gymnastics mat, parallel bars, rings, pommel horse, etc. and the smaller guy is probably going to outperform the bigger guy, even if they are both very learn. How many 6'1" gymnasts do you see in the Olympics?

Again, these are generalizations and there is a lot of overlap, but there is still a definite difference on average.

Quack

Take a yoyo and let the string out and swing the yoyo in a circle. The end closest to your hand, the small end, looks to be moving faster and the out side, the big end, is moving slower. Just like the little guys and the big guys, it is just an Optical illusion. And I am sticking to my theory... ;D
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

imnofish

Quote from: coconut joe on March 15, 2014, 01:33:57 AM

-slow moving
-poor technicians
-lacking intensity
-lazy

How many did you have in mind?  I'm not sure if my back can hold up to the stress of tossing these tubs around.

...or getting tossed around BY them.   ;D

imnofish

Quote from: coconut joe on March 16, 2014, 02:46:43 AM
Quote from: imnofish on March 15, 2014, 10:35:50 AM
Quote from: coconut joe on March 15, 2014, 01:33:57 AM

-slow moving
-poor technicians
-lacking intensity
-lazy

How many did you have in mind?  I'm not sure if my back can hold up to the stress of tossing these tubs around.

...or getting tossed around BY them.   ;D
we're just talking about HS kids right?  Give me a month or two to work on cardio and I'll be fine.  No one wants to she coco die, right?

Nope.  Today there are some big, strong, teen heavyweights, though.  Old guys might have the edge briefly, but we would pay a huge price the next day - even with a good cardio base.  The joints just ain't what they used to be, once you hit 30.   :P