Book Club!!!

Started by DrSnide, September 27, 2013, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 08:44:00 AM
Quote from: dman on October 11, 2013, 08:39:34 AM
Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 08:28:51 AM
Quote from: imnofish on October 10, 2013, 07:12:34 PM
Why would someone be so intent on "discrediting" an inspirational book, based on the personal experiences of a medical expert?  Personally, I found the book interesting, plausible, and inspirational.  Read the book and decide for yourself, rather than let someone talk you out of it prematurely. 
I'm only inspired by truth.

::) ::)
What?  You're giving me eye roll emoticons for a comment promoting truth?

dman

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 08:48:38 AM
Quote from: dman on October 11, 2013, 08:44:33 AM
Why would someone be so intent on "discrediting" an inspirational book, based on the personal experiences of a medical expert?  Personally, I found the book interesting, plausible, and inspirational.  Read the book and decide for yourself, rather than let someone talk you out of it prematurely. 

Hey, quit that!

:-*

DrSnide

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 08:48:38 AM
Quote from: dman on October 11, 2013, 08:44:33 AM

Hey, quit that!

I believe the appropriate response is

>:( >:( >:(

That would show him

;D
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

dman

Roo

My Mother was a High School English Teacher, and both she and my Father were/are voracious readers. I literally have 4 large boxes of books in my basement to "read". Every time I go home I come back with 2,3 or 4 more books that I "should read".

Last ones have been  The Inner Circle, by Brad Meltzer, great fiction book about inner circle secret Presidential stuff.   Black Wind, by Clive Cussler another fiction book about submarine stuff...good read. Killing Lincoln, by Bill O'Reilly....easy read and interesting.

I love war history stuff,  "Eye Deep in inappropriate term3", the story about trench warfare in WW1....I count myself as lucky not having to go through that. And then Vietnam- A History....written in conjuction with the PBS series....read that this last summer.

imnofish

Read the book, then decide what is true. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

imnofish

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: imnofish on October 11, 2013, 10:16:07 AM

Truth is not something you get to decide on for yourself. 

Exactly!  That is my point.  You have let someone else determine that for you, before actually reading the book. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

DrSnide

No apparently its what this Potter person tells you is the "truth"
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

imnofish

Quote from: DrSnide on October 11, 2013, 10:40:57 AM

No apparently its what this Potter person tells you is the "truth"

+1

Handles II

On of my favorite books as of late, Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. Chuck and my brother-in-law sort of ran in the same crowd at UND so he got me turned onto some of Chucks books.
Downtown Owl is a pretty quick read but very entertaining, great ending.

Big House

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk

People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

Handles II

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: Big House on October 11, 2013, 12:59:28 PM
Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
I read that.  Who here has saved someone with the Heimlich maneuver?
I have...twice. My son once two years ago, and a guy eating a brat at a bar. It's weird, having needed to do it scares me. Like with my son, what if next time I'm not there.

bigG

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 01:20:43 PM
Quote from: Big House on October 11, 2013, 12:59:28 PM
Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
I read that.  Who here has saved someone with the Heimlich maneuver?

I have once. Kid waiting for a bus, sucking a jawbreaker and playing around started turning blue. I didn't wear kid gloves with that fourth grader. Thing came out, all was well. Boneheads.

I'm very surprised I never needed it. I generally eat like a pelican.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.