2016 - 2017 Roster

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, June 20, 2016, 12:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billymurphy

I see Ritter as the alpha male and he will eat
his meals where he decides. (Christensen and Robertson will have to prove me wrong)
Ritter wrestled at 184 last year, so why would he change?(you do not think Barry would intervene do you?)
The others will have to change weights.  Based on summer tournaments,
we have a couple of guys that are ready to challenge Peissig at 197.
And I agree that Robertson at 174 was a disaster. (zero energy)

Taylor was great to watch and I will miss him.
But now, I am no longer as confident that the Badgers will finish
in the top half at the Big Ten Conference Tournament.
And Martinez, with his two national titles, is moving up to 165 lbs from Illinois
and will force Jordan to get better or settle for second place.

mkm13

Jimenez gave up size/strength to the top guys at 125 last year.  Unless he gains a lot of strength, I hope he stays at 125.

npope

If JJ is on the roster (i.e., not red-shirting) and at 125, I can't see Lantz ever seriously considering the cut. If JJ is contemplating a move up, it creates a log-jam at 133...with nobody with a proven track record of success at that weight. Even if JJ leaves 125, I don't think I would like to see Lantz try to make that cut. We have seen any number of similar efforts to plug a hole in the line up in recent years by having a kid cut too much weight - and in each attempt it essentially "ruined" the kid, e.g., the Kellihers, Lubeck, Robertson, etc. That strategy simply hasn't worked well for the Badgers. I would rather see the Badgers cede a forfeit than to ruin a kid for no productive outcome.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

littleguy301

I hear the plan is for JJ to reshirt and Lantz make his way down to 25. Not sure if that is going to work due to situation that have be mentioned but good luck to Jens if that is the plan.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

mkm13

The potential of the team took a big hit with Taylor out and Jimenez apparently redshirting. Too bad as this year had a chance to be very good with Jordan, Medberry, and Taylor all being seniors.

I would think Cullen will push for the 125 spot, even if Lantz is trying to cut.

We need some guys to step up who did not have success last year.

Handles II

Stickley was 20-9 last year unattached at 141 and can probably make 133 without much difficulty. He's also from the same HS as Taylor and Jordan (cousin to Jordan). I think he could be our guy. But we are all speculating at this point. :D

stp

* Hoping RT sits majority of the season and comes back the final month, for conference and (hopefully) NCAA's.   

* unless his hip has gotten worse than last season and it's possible he'll do more damage. 
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

dad 2 5

I see RT made an announcement that he is got be done. Have to say thanks for a guy that worked hard on and off the mat and brought great intensity to the room and match after match. I, we, wish him the best!

sudden_victory

Ryan Taylor needing hip surgery and having to end his career is very bad news. I'm glad he was All American, probably would have been twice if not for injury.
Life is a bowl of cherries.

Musky Hunter

Quote from: leg turk on June 23, 2016, 06:51:02 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on June 23, 2016, 05:56:49 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on June 22, 2016, 10:03:54 PM
Lol done? Highly doubt that. Could see him moving up again but not done.

Why would he move up, 2 years ago he started the year at 25

where is Musky hunter, maybe he can fill us in on this?

Been tight lipped out of respect.  The kid only went one speed and is a great young man.  It flat out sucks that his body won't let him continue.  Let us all learn a lesson from this and when he was getting bashed last season it was his body was giving out.  So much goes on behind closed doors that most on this place assume.  From bashing the Coach, AD, Wrestlers, marketers etc etc etc.  They are all just like us but with a ton more talent and work ethic.  Props to RT for giving my kids an athlete role model and showing them true work ethic and passion for something you love.  Now we can catch some fish and shoot some turkeys and deer.  We can only hope he stays around here and coaches some of the youth all the knowledge he has. 

jaguarwrestler

If JJ is taking a RS then Lantz being 125 makes perfect sense. If JJ is wrestle 125 then it makes no sense. No way I see JJ at 133, he doesn't even look big at 125. If he cuts down starting now it should not be an issue imo. 133 is a blow but Eli is pretty solid and I think we will be better this year at 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, 197 and HWT versus last year so we should still be fine.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Musky Hunter

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on June 26, 2016, 10:20:17 PM
If JJ is taking a RS then Lantz being 125 makes perfect sense. If JJ is wrestle 125 then it makes no sense. No way I see JJ at 133, he doesn't even look big at 125. If he cuts down starting now it should not be an issue imo. 133 is a blow but Eli is pretty solid and I think we will be better this year at 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, 197 and HWT versus last year so we should still be fine.

so u want lantz at 25 and stick at 33?  jj to rs?  u seem to always have the answers.  have u been in the uw room to see this?

wrestle03

Lantz trying to cut to 125 is a disaster in my opinion. 

bigG

Thank you, 03. I didn't want to be the first to suggest that maybe Lantz doesn't have that weight to give. Seems like a bit of a push to me.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

mkm13

I am not sure Lantz would win at 133 over Stickley, so the option for Lantz might be to go to 125 or be a backup.