Wrestlers Transferring Schools....

Started by Razor Ramon, November 05, 2020, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor Ramon

In the Madison area there are a few wrestlers that have transferred to schools just outside of Dane County, so they can have the chance to compete this season.

Is this happening in other parts of the state as well?

Dizzy

Ghetto

That becomes a very complicated issue. Once they set foot in a school, they (in general) cannot compete for another school, unless they have physically moved residences. With virtual learning, I would imagine it is once they were marked present. Either way, it seems like a mess.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DarkKnight

Quote from: Razor Ramon on November 05, 2020, 12:20:00 PM
In the Madison area there are a few wrestlers that have transferred to schools just outside of Dane County, so they can have the chance to compete this season.

Is this happening in other parts of the state as well?

Who are these few wrestlers, and are they able to compete at their new schools?

imwi

That sure sounds like some sketchy stuff to me and if they are doing it, I sure wouldn't be talking about it on this forum.  Unless you are trying to rat someone out.  With the transfer rules, I don't see how what you are describing would be possible.

littleguy301

From my understanding that if a school doesnt offer tye sport you compete in, you can transfer schools.

I have heard various outcomes but if your schools administration signs off I think you have a chance of competing right away. Dont quote me but there is some legal jargon. Also if you have been bullied is another case of transferring and being able to compete right away
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

dman

I'm sort of fine with it actually...the opportunity shouldn't be taken away from the kids anyway, so if they get creative and find a way to participate, well good for them I guess.

madeyson

If both schools agree, give the kids an exemption for the year - not fair for the kids to lose the opportunity because of where they live/go to school when others can. I hope if this starts happening there isn't fans/parents/coaches that put up resistance to this.

wrestlingfan32

So for clarification purposes what if a junior wrestled for a school first two years than COVID hit. School is offering zoom practices but no guarantees of actually getting to wrestle a single competition. Could that wrestler be exempt from the rule saying they don't offer the sport or is that still offering it? And do the rules apply to transferring to a private school? And if they transfer as a junior would they be able to wrestle their senior season at the original school or are they stuck at the new school?

imwi

I didn't mean to imply I was against it, just that with the current transfer rules, I don't see how they'd be able to do that.  Ghetto said it better than I but then I see in another thread, he's going to transfer to the Dells to coach, so who knows?   ;D

Fan32 if you want the real answer to your questions, I'd email the WIAA.  And are zoom practices really a thing?  How are the academies practicing & traveling to tournaments and we're talking about zoon practices for the schools?

littleguy301

Quote from: wrestlingfan32 on November 06, 2020, 09:53:41 AM
So for clarification purposes what if a junior wrestled for a school first two years than COVID hit. School is offering zoom practices but no guarantees of actually getting to wrestle a single competition. Could that wrestler be exempt from the rule saying they don't offer the sport or is that still offering it? And do the rules apply to transferring to a private school? And if they transfer as a junior would they be able to wrestle their senior season at the original school or are they stuck at the new school?

I would guess they would be at the new school for their senior year.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

downtown

I can't stress this enough.  No parent should ever go on what they read on the forum for their kids future eligibility on transferring after their freshman year.  The only person that has a say in if your child can transfer and still be eligible immediately is the WIAA.  Talk with your AD and the wiaa directly to find out exactly what needs to happen.  If not you might be really disappointed in the outcome.