Wrestling and Responsibility

Started by coastguard, October 01, 2020, 10:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastguard

I believe that wrestling can happen this year for high schools.  However, we have to think differently about how it will happen.  We will see how high school football goes with the spread of the virus.  I believe that wrestling can be safer than football if we choose to practice differently.  If we try to do things the same and pretend like it doesn't exist in schools or even in clubs it doesn't stand a chance in the mind of school and health officials.  I believe that practices need to be in small groups and this will impact the length of practices for coaches and the cleaning that must happen in between each cohort.  Competitions can happen, but it will need to be duals or quads.  Perhaps this year- we can figure out a way to have state for only team championships at the Varsity and JV level.  Just a few thoughts.

TomM

Good statement coastguard

Vigilance while outside of practice as well for athletes would be a benefit. Facemasks and social distancing at all times in public groups (school, work, shopping etc.). Really a 24 hour 'job' to stay safe for your sport. Not just a 'practice time' practice.

Those abiding by safe procedures need to be thanked and thank each other for being 'heros' for their sport and community and family. It's an all-around challenge for everyone.

cohort
co·hort  (kō′hôrt′)
a. A group or band of people.
b. A companion or associate.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Handles II

Excellent points from you both.
Add in parents and relatives need to also make it their job to mask-up and social distance whenever possible. Wrestling is a sport full of sacrifices, but we love it in spite, or because of those sacrifices. Ensuring that we can have it will take all those involved to do a little bit more than they are used to. We CAN do this. But will we??  My knowledge of many wrestling families/coaches says we won't. Far too many are not doing what is needed.
Perhaps this mornings news will change some opinions, attitudes, and efforts? One would hope.

MNbadger

This came out yesterday....MSHSL
Wrestling will start on November 30th.
14 week season.
Only duals or triangulars, no tournaments.
16 date max.
32 individual match max.
Quote from: coastguard on October 01, 2020, 10:29:16 AM
I believe that wrestling can happen this year for high schools.  However, we have to think differently about how it will happen.  We will see how high school football goes with the spread of the virus.  I believe that wrestling can be safer than football if we choose to practice differently.  If we try to do things the same and pretend like it doesn't exist in schools or even in clubs it doesn't stand a chance in the mind of school and health officials.  I believe that practices need to be in small groups and this will impact the length of practices for coaches and the cleaning that must happen in between each cohort.  Competitions can happen, but it will need to be duals or quads.  Perhaps this year- we can figure out a way to have state for only team championships at the Varsity and JV level.  Just a few thoughts.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DarkKnight

An individual tourney can happen.

At regionals, all present wear a mask if not wrestling at that time. If you are sick, you do not attend regionals.

Team state and individual state can go on, just limit spectators to 40% capacity, stay in your own crowd, and don't make a huge fuss over a couple virus cases. Really. and wear a mask. Relax.

bigG

Quote from: DarkKnight on October 02, 2020, 12:03:31 PM
An individual tourney can happen.

At regionals, all present wear a mask if not wrestling at that time. If you are sick, you do not attend regionals.

Team state and individual state can go on, just limit spectators to 40% capacity, stay in your own crowd, and don't make a huge fuss over a couple virus cases. Really. and wear a mask. Relax.

Sounds do-able!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

I believe that the WWCA is working on things.

We need to get rid of the 7/7 for this season for sure, and then going forward it can just continue to be a thing.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Great points for sure!

Get rid of the 7 and 7 for sure and allow teams to ,manage a schedule that they can feel it works formtye safety of the team.

Nice forward thinking by Minnesota. I am not saying we have to follow their lead but at least that is something we can start with.

Limit fans and push masks when not wrestling and mask for fans and let's do it,
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

padre

So no post season planned for any of the sports?  That's going to be tough to keep kids focused and even willing to put in the effort.  Scheduling nightmare also trying to find duals and abilities to host.

littleguy301

Quote from: padre on October 03, 2020, 05:28:02 AM
So no post season planned for any of the sports?  That's going to be tough to keep kids focused and even willing to put in the effort.  Scheduling nightmare also trying to find duals and abilities to host.

I see that also. Though I have a feeling that some outside organization will have stuff and I am sure there will be other tournaments.

I do agree with your thinking though, I would rather have a 2 week season with a state series then 14 and none

MNbadger

LG.... I am sure we all want a state tourney.  The point is trying to make this work for kids while simultaneously keeping the exposure to a minimum.  I know the thinking of the MSHSL is more than the people in the building at the time of the event.  It brings many people into an area(even if they can't be in the arena).  The parents have to bring the kids into town from all over the state.  Even if they are not in the venue, they are in motels, bars, restaurants, etc.  One may or may not agree but that is their thinking.  This is why they are not having a state football series either.  They are(at least at this point) just doing "Section" football.
Quote from: littleguy301 on October 03, 2020, 08:45:30 AM

I see that also. Though I have a feeling that some outside organization will have stuff and I am sure there will be other tournaments.

I do agree with your thinking though, I would rather have a 2 week season with a state series then 14 and none
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

padre

Yep. Would rather practice for a postseason than run around trying to figure how to get duals in with nothing at the end.  Sounds bad but I know the realities of how tough it will be to keep it together without that carrot in front of the kids. Very few high school football teams think they have a chance to get to a state tournament plus too many teams chose spring while probably 50 percent of kids In wrestling think they could have a chance if they work hard enough...individual over team.  Sad for those football teams that had a chance as those would have been memories that lasted a lifetime.

DarkKnight

It is very doable. Events happen safely now. I'm sorry, but yes I'm a big proponent of claiming a state title. not just to wrestle a few duals against neighboring schools and call it a season.

We can let top individuals and top teams face off in a barely populated gym.  I know people don't want it to happen, but I don't see an increase in risk with proper measurements in place.

Televise it so people can watch from home.

We don't need to let all the kids down by taking away their dream of wrestling to get to state, place at state, or win state, by telling them to find other things to do besides wrestling for WIAA accomplishments.

littleguy301

Quote from: MNbadger on October 03, 2020, 08:58:51 AM
LG.... I am sure we all want a state tourney.  The point is trying to make this work for kids while simultaneously keeping the exposure to a minimum.  I know the thinking of the MSHSL is more than the people in the building at the time of the event.  It brings many people into an area(even if they can't be in the arena).  The parents have to bring the kids into town from all over the state.  Even if they are not in the venue, they are in motels, bars, restaurants, etc.  One may or may not agree but that is their thinking.  This is why they are not having a state football series either.  They are(at least at this point) just doing "Section" football.

Do you read posts or just pick out something to argue something about?

I posted that I liked Minnesota idea to get kids wrestling. I have posted several times that in Wisconsin wrestling is the biggest money maker and I know the wiaa knows that.

Also, I agreed with padre about having a state series. My personal belief is to wrestle for something like a state title. I also want the kids to wrestle regardless and I will do what it takes to help that happen!

Badger, I am not attacking what Minnesota has done, I like it and seems to be a plan for starters. Something Wisconsin can look at because I can get behind the Minnesota plan for sure.

Like I also states i am sure the WWF will have something in place if the wiaa doesnt have a state championship. Or something that will be good for the athletes for sure.