Wrestling and deer hunting do not mix or it is hard to mix

Started by Kjohnson, October 26, 2013, 11:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

Fall sports have summer vacation?August.  Spring has Easter break and the end of school. Winter sports have Christmas Break and Deer Hunting/Thanksgiving.

I guess every sports has to work around holidays and vacation. Very frustrating for coaches and families. 

I know my son was mad because he had to leave a family holiday early because of wrestling practice. His coach worked with him as much as possible, and that made it easier. 

I guess there is no way around holidays, vacations and practice.  Now that my kids are done wrestling, I thought we could hunt. Know they coach and we have the same problem.

What do other schools do about deer hunting and Christmas Vacation

bkraus

Family first.  We will work around the rest.  I know I have to miss the practices falling the weekend after Thanksgiving due to out of town family.  How can I hold the kids to a different standard?

This is my opinion and by no way means what any program should do.
Strive for Perfection

Handles II

I've stopped fighting it. I no longer schedule practice after T-giving, and try to limit it to 4 over holiday break. Parents happier, kids happier (well most of them, not the hardcores) coaches happier, and overall, I think there isn't a difference in the long run.

DocWrestling

Coachees, parents, and athletes need to simply see the big picture and realize that skipping practice for deer hunting, thanskgiving, and Christmas really will have very little negative affect and may have a positive affect.  Those that are motivated will still work out at home.  I think leaving those times to families will refresh coaches and wrestlers.  I love the holiday tournaments but I think if I was head coach, I would just give all of Christmas break off and then come back and work hard refreshed. Also allows some healing time.   Maybe more kids would go out.  Coaches can give homework too and put the responsibility on the athlete to do some shadow drilling on own or some conditioning.

Maybe the kids will do better to peak in February.

Losing a practice to a snow storm is no big deal so why is it over deer hunting or Thanksgiving. 
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

uncle Fester

we start poaching in mid august and get enough meat piled up to stay out of the soup lines..
we didnt come here for a picnic

maggie

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Street Glide

Quote from: uncle Fester on October 28, 2013, 12:48:22 PM
we start poaching in mid august and get enough meat piled up to stay out of the soup lines..

Fester you do know that you can now use firearms or bows to get your deer!!  Just a FYI for you.

uncle Fester

yeah street glide you should come down and see my small taxidermist operation I got going in the brooder house on my days off...been selling all the 150+ racks to cabellas...
we didnt come here for a picnic

littleguy301

Quote from: Street Glide on October 28, 2013, 05:36:27 PM
Quote from: uncle Fester on October 28, 2013, 12:48:22 PM

Fester you do know that you can now use firearms or bows to get your deer!!  Just a FYI for you.

Man, now you went and confused FESTER about these new inventions called firearms.

Or better yet, now FESTER will set his arms on fire before he goes and hunts ;) or worse yet, he will tattoo flames on his arms ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Street Glide

Quote from: uncle Fester on October 29, 2013, 07:59:01 AM
yeah street glide you should come down and see my small taxidermist operation I got going in the brooder house on my days off...been selling all the 150+ racks to cabellas...

Fleet of trucks
Limo operator
Fester University Professor
Taxidermist
Professional Deer Hunter

Only fester can get 26 hours out of a 24 hour day!!!

digimon

Start the Wisconsin High School wrestling season Dec. 1st. Having less than 45 matches in a season wouldn't be a bad thing. Stay away from Thanksgiving and Deer Hunting.

bigG

Quote from: Street Glide on October 29, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

Fleet of trucks
Limo operator
Taxidermist
Professional Deer Hunter

He's sort of the Wisconsin version of Chuck Norris.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Kjohnson

Quote from: digimon on October 30, 2013, 05:40:50 AM
Start the Wisconsin High School wrestling season Dec. 1st. Having less than 45 matches in a season wouldn't be a bad thing. Stay away from Thanksgiving and Deer Hunting.

And football playoffs don't overlap with winter sports

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on October 30, 2013, 06:39:19 AM
Quote from: Street Glide on October 29, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

Fleet of trucks
Limo operator
Taxidermist
Professional Deer Hunter

He's sort of the Wisconsin version of Chuck Norris.

Well Chuck Norris is just a version of FESTER ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

boowrestle

I really dont see a problem,here is our practice scedule,we do wrestle over christmas(bi state)our 1st match is a dual meet on dec 3rd///2.5 hr AM practice on weds(day before thanksgiving),2.5hr AM practice Fri (day after thanksgiving),2.5hr AM practice dec 23&24,leave for bi state 3pm on 26th(PM practice 26th in LacCross).
you can run but you cannot hide.