Bracket Seeding

Started by Jbsi, February 18, 2024, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbsi

Can someone tell me how this seeding works for 5he state tournament. It looks like all are seeded? I am unable to locate the seeding criteria and I see win percentage didn't matter, head to head didn't factor, previous state placement wasn't taken into account, I am truly not understanding.  Who is on this committee? Is there someplace I can locate more info?

No One Cares

Quote from: Jbsi on February 18, 2024, 04:58:00 PMCan someone tell me how this seeding works for 5he state tournament. It looks like all are seeded? I am unable to locate the seeding criteria and I see win percentage didn't matter, head to head didn't factor, previous state placement wasn't taken into account, I am truly not understanding.  Who is on this committee? Is there someplace I can locate more info?

https://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Publications/Winter_Sport_Regs/wrestlingtournregs.pdf

Page 54

Scramble_king

Should seed the sectional champs and fill in the bracket from there. Wiaa current criteria is terrible. Freshman are screwed. Shouldn't matter wha you did last year.

tex

I think this was all hashed out 2 years ago and then they tried to tweek it. I believe last year in d2 allmost every top 4 seed made the semis. Not sure on d3 or 1 but i think it was a high percentage. I know last years placeing does count for something as it should and head to head also is in the equation. I would be interested to see how many 1 or 2 seeds made the finals.

No One Cares

Quote from: tex on February 18, 2024, 09:16:04 PMI think this was all hashed out 2 years ago and then they tried to tweek it. I believe last year in d2 allmost every top 4 seed made the semis. Not sure on d3 or 1 but i think it was a high percentage. I know last years placeing does count for something as it should and head to head also is in the equation. I would be interested to see how many 1 or 2 seeds made the finals.

*tweak
*almost
*placing

tex

Last year 1-3 seeds
Div 1 27 of 28 made finals
Div 2 26 of 28
Div 3 25 of 28
93 %

1 or 2 seeds
Div 1 23 of 28 made finals
Div 2 23 of 28
Div 3 19 of 28
77%

Here are the numbers. Not opinions, just facts.

Numbers

Quote from: Scramble_king on February 18, 2024, 08:01:47 PMShould seed the sectional champs and fill in the bracket from there. Wiaa current criteria is terrible. Freshman are screwed. Shouldn't matter wha you did last year.
Enter the large tournaments and earn wins over top wrestlers and common opponents.

Or just win matches this weekend and be the bad draw!

2pointTakedown

The winners are the D1 15-16th seed kids who most likely get to wrestle in the wrestle backs instead of the mid seeds who loose 1st round and are out.

There are kids wrestling the sectional final 1st round all over again as well.

Just need to tweak a few things. Good though to seed top 4

beastmode

Quote from: Scramble_king on February 18, 2024, 08:01:47 PMShould seed the sectional champs and fill in the bracket from there. Wiaa current criteria is terrible. Freshman are screwed. Shouldn't matter wha you did last year.

Please give direct examples of freshman that got screwed?
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

Dunn County

Quote from: 2pointTakedown on February 19, 2024, 08:06:10 AMThe winners are the D1 15-16th seed kids who most likely get to wrestle in the wrestle backs instead of the mid seeds who loose 1st round and are out.

There are kids wrestling the sectional final 1st round all over again as well.

Just need to tweak a few things. Good though to seed top 4

Your take on winning is interesting and not the norm.  Everyone except you would rather have a risk of going 0-1 with the benefit of a 50/50 chance of getting a win and advancing to day 2 anyway.

Your take is that you would rather get pinned on Thursday and Friday than have a 50/50 chance for a win.  I have no problem with that but just realize you are not the norm. 

Numbers

Well for 1 year in Wisconsin wrestling history after 1953 (when state was 4 man brackets) everyone had at least two matches - 1984! 

In 1985 5th/6th was added to the podium.  The bracket worked for 8 man brackets in Class B and C.  But in Class A if you lost to a quarterfinal loser, your season was over. 

In 2001, the Division 2 and 3 fields expanded to 12 qualifiers and the frustrated "1 and Done" wrestling community expanded as well.

What are the chances that after commemorating 40 years of this ____, it will be fixed for the 2025 tournament?

CLC FAN

Quote from: Jbsi on February 18, 2024, 04:58:00 PMCan someone tell me how this seeding works for 5he state tournament. It looks like all are seeded? I am unable to locate the seeding criteria and I see win percentage didn't matter, head to head didn't factor, previous state placement wasn't taken into account, I am truly not understanding.  Who is on this committee? Is there someplace I can locate more info?

I know there was a link provided, but it's pretty important that the community knows.  There is no committee.  There is no special consideration.  These criteria are followed:

b. Tournament Pairings
At the individual state tournament, seeding criteria will be used for all competitors. Trackwrestling will seed all 16 wrestlers in D1 and seed
all 12 wrestlers in D2 and D3 at the Individual State Tournament using the following criteria:
(1) Head-to-head competition
(2) Competition against common opponents
(3) Returning state champion
(4) Returning second or third place finisher in previous season
(5) Returning fourth through sixth place finisher from previous season
(6) Sectional champion
(7) Returning state qualifier in previous season
(8.) Winning percentage in the current season

So if we just take the posters in this thread and make a hypothetical bracket

jbsi (undefeated, DNQ last year, Sectional Champ)
noonecares
scramble king  (undefeated freshmen, Sectional champ)
hutgoose
tex
numbers  (State runner-up last year, sectional 3rd, 5 losses on the year)
2pttakedown
beastmode (one loss sectional champ, Qualified last year)
Dunn County (one loss sectional champ, 5th place last year)

So we would lay out a 9 by 9 table and compare each wrestler against all 8 others.
Without a BUNCH more information, we can't say much for sure, but
the undefeated freshmen (Scramble king) would not lose the seed point to anyone based on criteria 1 or 2.
He would win the seed point against nooncares, hutgoose, tex, and 2pttakedown. 
IF he hasn't beaten numbers or anyone numbers has lost to, than Numbers would get the seed point over him.  Same thing for beastmode and Dunn County.  So AT WORST, Scramble king is the number 5 seed.  If he's beaten others in the bracket or beaten people that others have lost to, he could be as high as the number 1 or 2 seed.

I could see an argument for removing (previous year state qualifier).  That isn't really as strong an indication of current year strength as the others, but it's also the second-to-last criteria, so the only way you have an argument there is if you didn't win your sectional and someone else didn't win theirs, and you have a better win record, but he got to state last year and you didn't.  Kinda splitting hairs there. 

No One Cares

Quote from: CLC FAN on February 19, 2024, 01:21:05 PM

I know there was a link provided, but it's pretty important that the community knows.  There is no committee.  There is no special consideration.  These criteria are followed:

b. Tournament Pairings
At the individual state tournament, seeding criteria will be used for all competitors. Trackwrestling will seed all 16 wrestlers in D1 and seed
all 12 wrestlers in D2 and D3 at the Individual State Tournament using the following criteria:
(6) Sectional champion

noonecares
hutgoose
tex
2pttakedown

So we would lay out a 9 by 9 table and compare each wrestler against all 8 others.
the undefeated freshmen (Scramble king) would not lose the seed point to anyone based on criteria 1 or 2.
IF he hasn't beaten numbers or anyone numbers has lost to, than Numbers would get the seed point over him.  Same thing for beastmode and Dunn County.  So AT WORST, Scramble king is the number 5 seed.  If he's beaten others in the bracket or beaten people that others have lost to, he could be as high as the number 1 or 2 seed.

I could see an argument for removing (previous year state qualifier).  That isn't really as strong an indication of current year strength as the others, but it's also the second-to-last criteria, so the only way you have an argument there is if you didn't win your sectional and someone else didn't win theirs, and you have a better win record, but he got to state last year and you didn't.  Kinda splitting hairs there. 

I got screwed. I think I am gonna transfer to Kaukauna.

Numbers

Quote from: No One Cares on February 19, 2024, 01:31:13 PM
Quote from: CLC FAN on February 19, 2024, 01:21:05 PM

b. Tournament Pairings
(6) Sectional champion

noonecares
hutgoose
tex
2pttakedown

I got screwed. I think I am gonna transfer to Kaukauna.
Are you sure you will be varsity at Kaukauna?

It looks like someone boosted my credentials so with a decent seed I should be able to avoid the 1 and Done!