LATEST RANKINGS: February 1 / Rankings #5 / Wisconsin Wrestling Online

Started by TomM, February 01, 2021, 05:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

Quote from: SP on February 02, 2021, 07:33:51 PM
Quote from: panther93 on February 02, 2021, 02:52:11 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 02, 2021, 11:59:07 AM
Until 2002? Only 2 made state. Just think back in pre 2002. How many 3rd place sectional kids that did not make it. While it sucks for sure, I think those kids in years past made out in life alright.

Dont like the reduction one bit! Just informing that this isn't the first time it has happened either.

You are correct, but since then the top three in D2 and D3 has been the norm, and this is coming from a guy that took 3rd twice under the old system ( I can live with it because that was how it was.)  The problem lies in our reason.  There really wasn't a reason to scale them back,  a 12 and 16 man bracket can be wrestled in a day.  It happens almost every weekend in a "normal" season.

This is the same group of kids that had their spring season canceled, fall season canceled or limited, and no sense of normal for over a year.  I don't see them cutting teams for basketball or hockey, useless I missed someting there.

As a coach, I'd much rather have one of my kids have the ablilty to wrestle at state as a 3rd, than to have parents watch their kid at state. 

Just my two cents, but then again the WIAA doesn't need them.

This is the problem with Wade. He wants the money from the few fans. I understand that the situation is tough but it is suppose to be about the kids. Many other ways for WIAA to make ends meet without  taking opportunities away from kids. At least we know what is important to Wade.

Bingo!  So ridiculous!

And for those who say "Well it was like this before", it is so unbelievably flawed.  Please enlighten us as to when there was a pandemic that barely even affected kids, but yet so many opportunities were taken away from them?? Or how about when a governing body unilaterally made decisions to prioritize fans over the kids wrestling...remember, this is a State WRESTLING Tournament, not a State FAN WATCHING Tournament.  The utter complacency by some of you "supporters" and "coaches" is what is going to kill the sport and/or drive it to be 100% a club sport.  Probably the same people that turn around and complain about wrestling clubs.  Oh wait...the kids will go on and life a happy life regardless...SMH....

wrastle63

Quote from: CoachZ on February 01, 2021, 06:36:01 PM
I probably shouldn't even post this but I have a soft spot for the 285's and I'm bored. Rankings clearly don't mean anything, question though. Why is it when 220's go up to 285, they get ranked above those 285's that have been there all year? Typically you see that when kid drop in the lighter weights. I think I've seen this before, I could be wrong though. On Saturday I saw two ranked at 220 move up to 285, one is staying home this weekend and the other was in a dog fight in the regional finals. He won but it wasn't as easy as everyone likely thought it would be!
Guy who took 3rd at the regional also beat Klister who somehow got the #1 ranking 5-1 at the Holiday tournament.

littleguy301

Quote from: SP on February 02, 2021, 07:33:51 PM
Until 2002? Only 2 made state. Just think back in pre 2002. How many 3rd place sectional kids that did not make it. While it sucks for sure, I think those kids in years past made out in life alright.

Dont like the reduction one bit! Just informing that this isn't the first time it has happened either.

You are correct, but since then the top three in D2 and D3 has been the norm, and this is coming from a guy that took 3rd twice under the old system ( I can live with it because that was how it was.)  The problem lies in our reason.  There really wasn't a reason to scale them back,  a 12 and 16 man bracket can be wrestled in a day.  It happens almost every weekend in a "normal" season.

This is the same group of kids that had their spring season canceled, fall season canceled or limited, and no sense of normal for over a year.  I don't see them cutting teams for basketball or hockey, useless I missed someting there.

As a coach, I'd much rather have one of my kids have the ablilty to wrestle at state as a 3rd, than to have parents watch their kid at state. 

This is the problem with Wade. He wants the money from the few fans. I understand that the situation is tough but it is suppose to be about the kids. Many other ways for WIAA to make ends meet without  taking opportunities away from kids. At least we know what is important to Wade.

While trying to keep from bashing or ripping........wow something i have thought for several years $$$
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Married with children

Tough regional, easy regional, 2 to state, team points determines team state I'm just happy there wrestling!!!

littleguy301

I totally get what your saying and well in hope you have alot of memories of 3rd place.

My son was a 3rd place at sectionals and placed well at state. Gosh I look back at those Jackson fox days in the ne sectionals. I think you had 3rd place sectional guys winning state.

I dont know why the wiaa cut to 2. I suppose a person can say it was to get fans into the event. Strange last 2 weeks for sure but it is also head scratching.

bulldog

So...I am trying to wrap my head around the issue on this thread. Are people upset because only top two out of sectionals are going to state for D2 and D3? So are people upset because there are limited opportunities in wrestling?

Is this the same group that every year has a big debate on cutting weight classes (thus limiting opportunities)?

dman...I agree with your rant...it is complacency that will kill this sport...but don't make changes to reduce opportunities for participation. Make more opportunities...

ChargerDad

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 03, 2021, 09:12:22 AM
I probably shouldn't even post this but I have a soft spot for the 285's and I'm bored. Rankings clearly don't mean anything, question though. Why is it when 220's go up to 285, they get ranked above those 285's that have been there all year? Typically you see that when kid drop in the lighter weights. I think I've seen this before, I could be wrong though. On Saturday I saw two ranked at 220 move up to 285, one is staying home this weekend and the other was in a dog fight in the regional finals. He won but it wasn't as easy as everyone likely thought it would be!
Guy who took 3rd at the regional also beat Klister who somehow got the #1 ranking 5-1 at the Holiday tournament.

As fast as those matches were happening on the consolation bracket in the dells it's possible that's just a gas tank thing.  15 minute waits, and those wrestlers weren't getting much more than that, barely time to pick yourself up, get a quick drink of water, catch your breath, and wrestle.  It's also about who adjusts better up a weight class to what is often a little different style of wrestling.

littleguy301

Quote from: ChargerDad on February 04, 2021, 10:55:41 AM

As fast as those matches were happening on the consolation bracket in the dells it's possible that's just a gas tank thing.  15 minute waits, and those wrestlers weren't getting much more than that, barely time to pick yourself up, get a quick drink of water, catch your breath, and wrestle.  It's also about who adjusts better up a weight class to what is often a little different style of wrestling.

It is all about match ups!

These kids know that non school tournaments have short breaks and they usually are ready for the most parts.

When high ranked kids go at it there could be several different outcome. All some results tell me is that wrestler was better that day but on another day they could have different results.

Hats off to all wrestlers these next 2 weeks!

Ledger

Are you saying if A beats B, and B beats C, then C could still beat A?  That's crazy talk!

NoFooForU

Quote from: Ledger on February 04, 2021, 01:40:44 PM
Are you saying if A beats B, and B beats C, then C could still beat A?  That's crazy talk!

who cares where they are ranked.  that has no impact right now.

DarkKnight

I'm pretty sure a 195lber (Wertel) won D2 285lbs at state last year. Klister owned Wertel in the season and was a runner up at 195. Wertel jumped from 195 to the 285lb class and cruised to the title.

So yea I would say Klister is the favorite here. I'd put my money on him.

littleguy301

Quote from: DarkKnight on February 04, 2021, 09:11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure a 195lber (Wertel) won D2 285lbs at state last year. Klister owned Wertel in the season and was a runner up at 195. Wertel jumped from 195 to the 285lb class and cruised to the title.

So yea I would say Klister is the favorite here. I'd put my money on him.

I wouldn't count out daffison or Hoffman just yet  ;D ;D ;D

Kmack44

Kind of a side topic, but they should just place top 8 this year. Why is it that they will leave two individuals out of placing? They made it in a tough year and they might as well be awarded for it. Any suggestions?