January 15 / Rankings / Wisconsin Wrestling Online / #3

Started by TomM, January 15, 2021, 06:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Quote from: Wrestling Novice on January 20, 2021, 02:35:52 PM
Quote from: Narwhal on January 20, 2021, 01:56:00 PM
Myself and friends have looked at and studied the assignments of schools for years. It is impossible to place teams into assignments that are 'geographically perfect' in the opinion of everyone. Every possible combination will result in some school(s) being assigned that are 'closer' to another regional and or sectional than one or more that are apparently further.
Novice, what you seek, a completely perfect geographic distribution of schools, can not be done.
Add to this impossibility of geographic perfection the fact that team strength is annually a bone of contention in assignments.

Pick a regional or sectional. Draw a line around all schools in that area and those near it. You will find it is as good as possible.

It could not even work out if you were able to actually physically move the geographic location of any school(s) you wished.
Also, I suggest that even if the assignments could be laid out to your satisfaction, they would not meet the satisfaction of numerous other individuals.
JMO

I would use Geography as a second way to divide teams, the first would be the quality of teams. 

It's not difficult to use the assets at hand.  Coaches come to mind.  Who better to ask?  Who knows the teams better? 

If they can figure out basketball and football, they can do so with wrestling.  The fact that they choose not to and we let them is sad. 

I mean seriously, last year Burlington and Mukwonago were in the same Sectional.  How difficult would it have been to switch one so that both teams make it to state?  Anyone at that team Sectional knows what a great match that was. 

I pick on D1, but  I know the same happens in other divisions. 

This isn't rocket science.  Heck, this isn't geography.
Sectionals should be divided by geography NW, NE, SW, and SE. An easy first fix would be to seed the sectional and at least split up the top 4 teams in each sectional. Nothing will ever be perfect, but that at least gets the top 4 teams separated and in a normal year lets them decide who is going to state head to head in a dual.

SP

You are forgetting that Wade does what is easiest for him. Our coaches asard. sociation should.be the group communicating to WIAA what we want as coaches. Read the notes on the thread about post season. So many opportunities to ask follow up questions and they didn't. Until the coaches association organizes themselves better, the voice of the coaches will not be heard. Other sports have made strides with WIAA because they have a more unified voice backed up by actual facts on what the coaches want.

Proactice leadership!
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

dman

Quote from: SP on January 20, 2021, 09:00:37 PM
You are forgetting that Wade does what is easiest for him. Our coaches asard. sociation should.be the group communicating to WIAA what we want as coaches. Read the notes on the thread about post season. So many opportunities to ask follow up questions and they didn't. Until the coaches association organizes themselves better, the voice of the coaches will not be heard. Other sports have made strides with WIAA because they have a more unified voice backed up by actual facts on what the coaches want.

Proactice leadership!

This!!!

padre

Quote from: SP on January 20, 2021, 09:00:37 PM

Proactice leadership!

Did you also read where he was very forceful with the 8 qualifier thing would not change?  Have you ever thought there have been examples of effort and hitting a brick wall?  Both sides have to play for there to even be a game.

TomM

Where are the results from last night?
Many duals wrestled and almost none have results posted online.

Hard for a ranking committee to rank based on results when the results are not shared.

What goes?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

SP

I get that it takes two to tangle but the WIAA has been that way forever. Knowing this means we need to take another approach to get things done. The fact that basketball is being treated differently than wrestling .ages me mad. Show me the science that they used to make that decision.

I am not picking on current or past WWCA members, I am saying our approach towards them has to change if we want a stronger voice and not the voice of a few. Most coaches feel they have no voice. We have so many ways to communicate online now. If Wade knew that our leaders were going report back to all of the members, he might act as a partner and not a dictator. That is suppose to be the way it works.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

padre

Quote from: SP on January 21, 2021, 09:57:21 AM
I get that it takes two to tangle but the WIAA has been that way forever. Knowing this means we need to take another approach to get things done. The fact that basketball is being treated differently than wrestling .ages me mad. Show me the science that they used to make that decision.

I am not picking on current or past WWCA members, I am saying our approach towards them has to change if we want a stronger voice and not the voice of a few. Most coaches feel they have no voice. We have so many ways to communicate online now. If Wade knew that our leaders were going report back to all of the members, he might act as a partner and not a dictator. That is suppose to be the way it works.

You are correct coaches feel trapped.  If you send complaints you are reported to your school and basically told to be quiet.

padre

Quote from: TomM on January 21, 2021, 08:42:06 AM

Hard for a ranking committee to rank based on results when the results are not shared.

What goes?

I swear it's worse this year than previous years.  Not having enough time is not even an excuse.

SayHey42

Quote from: padre on January 21, 2021, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: TomM on January 21, 2021, 08:42:06 AM

What goes?

I swear it's worse this year than previous years.  Not having enough time is not even an excuse.

The rankings mean nothing besides a side conversation piece. But it is frustrating as a fan to not be able to see results.

It seems quads are the most notorious for not being updated. I offered our coach to update track for the team but he didn't seem to care.

Lunatic Fringe

Off topic comment.

Looking at Quad results.  Diel from Arrowhead hasn't wrestled in a while and didn't wrestle in their quad last night. Word on the wrestling rumor mill is he's out for the season. 

Can anyone confirm or deny this? A returning state champ being out would be big news.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on January 22, 2021, 09:13:29 AM
Off topic comment.

Looking at Quad results.  Diel from Arrowhead hasn't wrestled in a while and didn't wrestle in their quad last night. Word on the wrestling rumor mill is he's out for the season. 

Can anyone confirm or deny this? A returning state champ being out would be big news.

No one from Arrowhead is going to say anything about that?  Would you?  My guess is he'll be back for regionals. 

DarkKnight

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on January 22, 2021, 09:13:29 AM
Off topic comment.

Well, you have to ask yourself, how good is your rumor mill? Or are you the start of the rumor mill?

If nothing else, just wait til regionals.

djc030

Are there going to be new individual rankings coming out prior to regionals?
Thanks

DarkKnight

Does the Sun shine every day? I'm thinking so.

A ton of kids will be dropping for regionals, so we shall see. but a new rankings would be nice.

NoFooForU

Quote from: djc030 on January 25, 2021, 01:02:11 PM
Are there going to be new individual rankings coming out prior to regionals?
Thanks

while it is great to sit back and look at where every kid is ranked, it doesn't matter.  Especially this year when we only see a small fraction of wrestling.  And, to top it off, we probably wont see any matches this week leading in Regional events.  Hard to know where every kid is going to be weighing in on Saturday.  A better option would be to rank AFTER Regionals.