Started by TomM, January 15, 2021, 06:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrestle171

Wow a d2 kid has 1st period pins over the the number 1 and number 4 ranked kids in d3 and closer match with the number 1 overall kid in d2 than the number 3 ranked kid but he keeps dropping in the ranks ever time they come out!

NoFooForU

Quote from: wrestle171 on January 15, 2021, 07:58:20 PM
Wow a d2 kid has 1st period pins over the the number 1 and number 4 ranked kids in d3 and closer match with the number 1 overall kid in d2 than the number 3 ranked kid but he keeps dropping in the ranks ever time they come out!

its rankings.  its only for us sitting behind computers. 

wrastle63

But got outplaced or got beat by every guy above him correct? That is kinda how rankings work FYI.

bigoil

Losing a closer match is not really a consideration in ranking. I do believe that 4/5 should be lower than 6 but that isn't that big of a deal, they don't seed based on rankings, oh wait we don't seed!

DarkKnight

I agree man, it's crazy... it's also crazy he's got the #1 and #2 in his sectional, so, definitely getting a rough draw... tough weight also... losing to #5 at state last year doesn't help the cause in the rankings i am guessing, for your #6 wrestler.

Ghetto

Send results, etc. to the rankings committee so they have the information.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

CityGuy

I like the sect/reg addition. Can we get the grades 9-12 back on the next set of rankings please?

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on January 19, 2021, 03:56:07 PM

#1 beat # 2,3 6 this year
#2 returning state place winner
#3 state finalist
#3 pinned 4 last week
4 beat 5 last year
5 beat 6 last year.

wrastle63

Quote from: bigoil on January 20, 2021, 12:10:51 PM

#3 state finalist
#3 pinned 4 last week
4 beat 5 last year
5 beat 6 last year.
How dare you use actual logic(H2H results) while talking about rankings!

DarkKnight

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 20, 2021, 12:22:21 PM

#3 state finalist
#3 pinned 4 last week
4 beat 5 last year
5 beat 6 last year.

Agree, the rankings were logically done there.

What matters the most is the end of season results, so it'll be fun.

Also, what is the worst about D2 220 is that I see the top 12 ranked guys are from Sectional A or Sectional B. No ranked guys from Sectional C. All 11 guys behind Hopke made state last year... and only 3 or 4 of them get to return this year. Alot of battles ahead. Not fair, but that's life.

So, some kids are getting opportunities in Sectional C and Sectional D at D2 220.

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 20, 2021, 12:39:34 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on January 20, 2021, 12:22:21 PM

#3 state finalist
#3 pinned 4 last week
4 beat 5 last year
5 beat 6 last year.

Also, what is the worst about D2 220 is that I see the top 12 ranked guys are from Sectional A or Sectional B. No ranked guys from Sectional C. All 11 guys behind Hopke made state last year... and only 3 or 4 of them get to return this year. Alot of battles ahead. Not fair, but that's life.

So, some kids are getting opportunities in Sectional C and Sectional D at D2 220.

No. It's not fair.  Consider this.  Wade told me the D1 portion was done based on geography.  Well I can tell you that there are schools closer to Wilmot than Racine Case.  I can tell you that there are schools closer to West Allis Central than Racine Horlick. 

So Wade?  Do you want to explain geography to me?

Ledger

[/quote]

[/quote]
I have to believe some of these kids will be dropping to 195 lbs or moving up to HWT for regionals.

Jbsi

#3 state finalist
#3 pinned 4 last week
4 beat 5 last year
5 beat 6 last year.

#1 beat # 2,3, 6 AND 7 this year.  That sectional is going to be tough at 220

Wrestling Novice

Quote from: Narwhal on January 20, 2021, 01:56:00 PM
Myself and friends have looked at and studied the assignments of schools for years. It is impossible to place teams into assignments that are 'geographically perfect' in the opinion of everyone. Every possible combination will result in some school(s) being assigned that are 'closer' to another regional and or sectional than one or more that are apparently further.
Novice, what you seek, a completely perfect geographic distribution of schools, can not be done.
Add to this impossibility of geographic perfection the fact that team strength is annually a bone of contention in assignments.

Pick a regional or sectional. Draw a line around all schools in that area and those near it. You will find it is as good as possible.

It could not even work out if you were able to actually physically move the geographic location of any school(s) you wished.
Also, I suggest that even if the assignments could be laid out to your satisfaction, they would not meet the satisfaction of numerous other individuals.
JMO

I would use Geography as a second way to divide teams, the first would be the quality of teams. 

It's not difficult to use the assets at hand.  Coaches come to mind.  Who better to ask?  Who knows the teams better? 

If they can figure out basketball and football, they can do so with wrestling.  The fact that they choose not to and we let them is sad. 

I mean seriously, last year Burlington and Mukwonago were in the same Sectional.  How difficult would it have been to switch one so that both teams make it to state?  Anyone at that team Sectional knows what a great match that was. 

I pick on D1, but  I know the same happens in other divisions. 

This isn't rocket science.  Heck, this isn't geography.