Stanford cuts wrestling

Started by DocWrestling, July 08, 2020, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on July 16, 2020, 11:18:32 PM
I want to see in writing where it says a big ten school has to provide any sport!  I would think baseball or even men's soccer or other sports would be on that list higher than wrestling and not every school has those.
I had always heard that it was bad to offer olympic sports and last time I checked baseball was a LJ olympic sport and we know one school that doesn't have that.

Ino

This is the UW athletic department football $:

Total revenue: $157.66 million.
Total revenue from football ticket sales: 15.2 %.
Football-game profit: $26.97 million.
Potential loss: $81.6 million.

Lost football season would crush Big Ten schools, including Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State:
https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2020/07/rutgers-faces-50m-hole-lost-football-season-would-crush-big-ten-schools-including-ohio-state-michigan-penn-state.html

DocWrestling

The only expenses that will be less will be travel and if any coaches have to take pay cuts.  Otherwise all their expenses from facilities, employees, scholarships, and services will remain the same with no revenue.

They had I believe 85% renewal for season tickets even with the COVID-19 and offering season ticket holders a chance to take a year off.  They will now have to give back all that ticket money as well as all the donations for the seat licensing fees.

If they can at least have TV without fans they might be able to break even but have no money to fund other sports.

If football is lost, I see no way they are going to have basketball either.  Sports will not be the same for years to offset these losses unless bailed out by taxpayers.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

I think taxpayers are going to be bailing out a whole ton, on top of a country that's wracked up a lott a debt already.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Quote from: DocWrestling on July 16, 2020, 11:18:32 PM
I want to see in writing where it says a big ten school has to provide any sport!  I would think baseball or even men's soccer or other sports would be on that list higher than wrestling and not every school has those.

Evidently no specific sport inclusion requirement other than that of football, according to the 2016-17 BigTen Conference Handbook  https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/iuhoosiers.com/documents/2017/2/6/Big_Ten_2016_17_Handbook.pdf

Membership section (page 28)

3.1.1 Eligibility Requirements. To be eligible for membership, a university must sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football that includes a minimum of (a) seven varsity intercollegiate sports, including at least two team sports, involving all-male teams, and (b) eight varsity intercollegiate sports, including at least two team sports, involving all-female teams.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

badgerjohn

Quote from: TomM on July 16, 2020, 06:08:58 PM
Is it certain the Big Ten requires wrestling to be offered?

Not certain.  Absolutely not required.   One of the worst falsehoods ever perpetrated upon fans of the sport.  Yep, even worse than a mechanical failure causing the lights to go dim at that football game in Vegas.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

Ino

Barou

Quote from: badgerjohn on July 17, 2020, 09:29:12 PM
Quote from: TomM on July 16, 2020, 06:08:58 PM
Is it certain the Big Ten requires wrestling to be offered?

Not certain.  Absolutely not required.   One of the worst falsehoods ever perpetrated upon fans of the sport.  Yep, even worse than a mechanical failure causing the lights to go dim at that football game in Vegas.

You are spot on (for both situations).  The Big Ten wrestling myth was researched extensively by Jason Bryant and proven to be non-existent. 
JHI Mafia

MNbadger

Realizing this is a dire, extraordinary situation I remember the UW system getting castigated for building up their reserves too much..................
Quote from: Ino on July 21, 2020, 04:55:48 PM
Wisconsin Athletics' revenue hit:

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/football/wisconsin-athletics-revenue-hit-from-covid-19-could-pass-100-million-without-a-football-season/article_8bdf70cc-1927-53b1-a70d-ae5f77482064.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

They do have some $ in a reserve fund just not enough to cover the loss of an entire year of operating revenue.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan