Stanford cuts wrestling

Started by DocWrestling, July 08, 2020, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

smacks

And Standford has a $27.7 Billion dollar Endowment fund!  And yes, that is a "B" in front of "illion."  Let's hope other Universities and colleges (who may not be as financially secure as Standford,) don't start using the Covid Pandemic as an excuse to cut their athletic offerings under the guise of needing to save money.

Ghetto

And according to the document, isn't coming back. So ridiculous.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Binfiller

Marshall Kools was going to Stanford. Anyone have the inside scoop if he is considering going anywhere else?

MatScoutWillie

Pure mismanagement like usually.  Came across Adam Tirapelle on Twitter and he had this to say:

Stanford has an AD, 2 Deputy AD's, 4 Executive Associate AD's, 1 Senior Associate AD and 5 Associate AD's in addition to 4 support staff (assistants).  That's 13 AD's for 1 University!!!!

That's 1 "director" for every 2.75 sports programs. 

bigoil

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on July 09, 2020, 07:39:05 AM
Pure mismanagement like usually.  Came across Adam Tirapelle on Twitter and he had this to say:

Stanford has an AD, 2 Deputy AD's, 4 Executive Associate AD's, 1 Senior Associate AD and 5 Associate AD's in addition to 4 support staff (assistants).  That's 13 AD's for 1 University!!!!

They also have more administrators than coaches and didn't cut any of them.

Ghetto

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on July 09, 2020, 07:39:05 AM

I'm going to assume that they will keep all those administrators even though the sports will get cut.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

I would guess that Stanford budget is higher than most d1 programs with just travel expense. Being west coast not alot of close duals or tournaments per say and Stanford seems to get to some of the bigger tournaments.

I would agree that when sports co e down to money it is the big 2. Though I thought Wisconsin actually turned a profit in like 4 sports not to long ago.

After reading more about Stanford problem, sounds like a 12 million a year operating short coming and some coaches have taken pay cuts the math just doesnt add up. Cutting those 11 programs will make up the short comings? So basically they have said the programs dont cost very much for sure and a major college like Stanford cannt make it up, that seems to me a cop out to and they wanted to cut them.

Sounds like Stanford did well this past year even with the basketball tournament getting cancelled and all springs sports and coming out 12 million in the hole. I mean they were still putting money into the cancelled sports by having kids on campus, meal plans, training, housing, training and places to play expensive.

Sanford sounds like major corporations with way to many people in management and probably getting paid top dollar and sounds like they cannt manage money very well.

Though if they dont have football this fall, I see serious problems with funding for any sports
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: Luke Louison on July 09, 2020, 10:51:56 AM
Quote from: Binfiller on July 08, 2020, 10:23:07 PM
Marshall Kools was going to Stanford. Anyone have the inside scoop if he is considering going anywhere else?

I don't want to discuss the Badgers too explicitly and have Tom move the post, but what do we think? He came on late in his career, which means his recruiting rankings (not on Flo's 2019 Big Board) probably don't truly reflect his talent.

He finished his senior season with a record of (44-0), and best I can tell he had 28 pins. The only non-pins I see on track are 10-2 over Will Ahnen in the Badger State finals, 12-5 over Seamus McLain (2nd at 195, D3) in the On The Water finals, 12-2 over Drake Anderson (4th at 195, D1) and 7-6 over Mason Diel (1st at 182, D1), both at the Warhawk Duals, and 9-3 over Rudy Detweiler in the first round of State. There are 11 results unaccounted for, which may be forfeits or maybe not.

Plus, if he got into Stanford, he's likely brainy. Smart kids are kind of a cheat code in college recruiting, as they qualify for academic scholarships, and don't use up much of the 9.9.

Any interest, Badger fans?

The real problem is weight. If he could get to 184, given roster composition, he'd be Pete Christensen insurance. He'd be there if Pete can't get to 184 or ultimately doesn't have it. If not, he'd be blocked by Braxton at 197 either 3 or all 4 years.

Maybe he still goes there for a year, gets some tournaments in and his door opens up big time for alot of schools. Plus Stanford isnt a bad place to start your education and have on your resume.

Numbers

I was hoping Stanford was going to become a prime D1 college wrestling program for the women.   California has great high school girls wrestling.

littleguy301

Quote from: Numbers on July 09, 2020, 01:31:52 PM
I was hoping Stanford was going to become a prime D1 college wrestling program for the women.   California has great high school girls wrestling.

I thought of this and that would solve the title 9 issues they stated. I think womens wrestling will actually help some of the colleges alot.

bud

nobody has mentioned Stanford's #41 or #49 stud Real Woods. I believe he was a redshirt Freshmen, could see him in red and white!!!
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!

littleguy301

Quote from: bud on July 09, 2020, 03:00:50 PM
nobody has mentioned Stanford's #41 or #49 stud Real Woods. I believe he was a redshirt Freshmen, could see him in red and white!!!

65 pounder wasnt bad either ;)

DocWrestling

I don't think many people are arguing some of the sports they cut because they are very low participation sports in the US but wrestling and men's volleyball don't make a lot of sense.

I do fear that more wrestling teams will be cut as budgets get balanced with what is leaning more and more towarss a year of no fall or even winter sports meaning tons of lost revenue in football and basketball.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Oz125

I'm sure most of you were thinking that this might happen as we continue to go through this pandemic. Let's face it, if football and basketball can't have a season, there is no doubt that other wrestling programs will get cut. How many more programs will get cut? What program(s) in the B10 should worry?