Best wrestling programs

Started by thequad, January 23, 2018, 02:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on January 24, 2018, 02:11:25 PM
Quote from: thequad on January 24, 2018, 02:10:14 PM
Boy this is great to see all these stats coming out I didn't expect to see such a large response!
We will have to start a thread about the most successful coaches.

They're going to have to update the state brochure if you want that information!

https://www.wiaawi.org/Sports/Wrestling/StateResultsArchive.aspx

look at the right margin, lists all the team champions and runner-ups points scored and coaches.

FinalWord

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on January 24, 2018, 03:31:28 PM
Are there coaches that have won with multiple teams? If not, it doesn't do much to do coaches.
Fred Lerhke; Monroe and DC Everest
Chad Steldt; Ellsworth and Fennimore
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

gablesgrip1

The Ithaca/Weston has had 5 state champs, but if you add them all up they have a total of 20(Ithaca with 18)

gablesgrip1

gablesgrip1

thequad

I wonder what the records are for Lodi?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

DKelly28

The SWAL/SWC has such a deep history for producing some really good wrestlers and teams. Here is Prairie du Chien's head-to-head record all-time since 1969 (when the program began) against the other 12 programs that make up these two conferences:

Belmont/Platteville - 18-13
Boscobel - 11-27
Cuba City/Southwestern/Benton - 8-18
Darlington - 2-2
Dodgeville - 18-13
Fennimore - 8-19
Iowa-Grant - 1-1
Lancaster - 7-24
Mineral Point - 0-1
Richland Center - 12-35
Riverdale - 2-18
River Valley - 9-37

PdC is 276-353-1 in duals all-time but if you take away the records against those 12 programs (96-208)....the Hawks are 180-145-1 all-time in duals. Pretty astounding difference between results in and out of conference over the years.

bigG

I'd like to see the new blood (Holmen) take it this year.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigG

bigG

I figured. Gopod stuff, man. I think it was Llorca that was from Ithaca that was just a scary beast.

npope

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on January 24, 2018, 10:12:08 AM

What this really cements for me is that Kaukauna, Ellsworth, and Luxemburg-Casco are relatively new phenomena, while Stoughton, Rapids, Coleman, and Mineral Point have more longevity as programs. If I do this post again in 10 years, I'd expect to see Kaukauna near the top.

Excuse me...Ellsworth has, as a meaningful force, been around since the late 1970s and consistently been a "player" in the team title equation; they aren't "relatively new" to the equation.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

imnofish

Quote from: npope on March 03, 2018, 06:21:12 PM

What this really cements for me is that Kaukauna, Ellsworth, and Luxemburg-Casco are relatively new phenomena, while Stoughton, Rapids, Coleman, and Mineral Point have more longevity as programs. If I do this post again in 10 years, I'd expect to see Kaukauna near the top.

Excuse me...Ellsworth has, as a meaningful force, been around since the late 1970s and consistently been a "player" in the team title equation; they aren't "relatively new" to the equation.

No kidding!  I think they probably even made their mark before that.  They were brutally tough when Kirby Simes was there. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

imnofish

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on March 03, 2018, 11:17:44 PM

From the beginning of the earth until 1992, Ellsworth had one second place finish and no first place finish.

1992 is recent? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

imnofish

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on March 03, 2018, 11:25:59 PM
Quote from: imnofish on March 03, 2018, 11:20:14 PM

We've been giving out team state titles since 1940.

1992 is recent?
From the beginning of the earth until 1992, Ellsworth had one second place finish and no first place finish.

Yes, but it was a totally different dynamic back then.  Still, they have been a strong program for more than 40 years, with plenty of good individuals.  Sorry, but that's not what I would call recent.  To be clear, I am not from Ellsworth, but I've watched them pretty closely for the past 40 years and they were already strong before I came to the area. 

imnofish

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on March 03, 2018, 11:38:00 PM
Quote from: imnofish on March 03, 2018, 11:32:04 PM
Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on March 03, 2018, 11:25:59 PM
Quote from: imnofish on March 03, 2018, 11:20:14 PM

1992 is recent?
We've been giving out team state titles since 1940.
Yes, but it was a totally different dynamic back then.  Still, they have been a strong program for more than 40 years, with plenty of good individuals.  Sorry, but that's not what I would call recent.  To be clear, I am not from Ellsworth, but I've watched them pretty closely for the past 40 years and they were already strong before I came to the area. 

Your opinion is noted.

I'm not offering an opinion. I'm simply saying that every single Ellsworth title, along with 7 of their 8 runner up finishes have come since we went to the dual format. You literally can't contest these facts. They are inarguable. I'm sorry if they hurt someone's feelings.

My feelings aren't hurt at all.  I'm not an Ellsworth resident or fan.  I get what you are saying.  Just pointing out that they aren't just a recent phenomenon.  That's not an opinion.