Rising Tide lifts all boats

Started by wrestler_73, March 03, 2017, 10:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

My example above was of a D III program.  No one was interested in supporting it.
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2017, 10:56:10 AM
If we have USA wrestling fees, we should invent a UW Wrestling card for $10 and require for youth tournaments.

Problem is that our D3 programs need even more help probably so where does the money go?

My thoughts are if UW is a top program that only helps all the D3 programs and UW-Madison should have great outreach to the D3 programs in the state and helping them in other ways.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrestlemania

"I believe that a unified voice from Wisconsin wrestling fans could make a difference."

I believe it's the only way. We don't have to do anything until the job comes open but when it does a mass and broad statement of support from the state's wrestling community I think will make Alvarez pay attention instead of just rubber stamping whoever Davis picks to succeed him.

MNbadger

What experience did Sanderson have when he got the Iowa State job?  I think he completed college in '02, trained for and won the Olympics in '04, and got the head job in '05.  Not 100% but it's close to that.

No, but when PSU hired him he had 2004 as an asst, 2005-2006 head asst, 2007-2009 Head Coach.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

Ben's just different. He made his name with funk and pins. Both bring people out and get people loud. The best have trademarks. Gable just relentless attack, Cale was undefeated and lived on the ankle pick. Every match, including his Oly gold. I see Ben as revamping our style to aggression, smarts and never run otta gas training. He also knows how to raise funds. He's a great marketer for himself and would do the same for his crew. I see a lot of Ben influence in current college wrestling. Let's use that trademark funk/pin. I'd love to give the chin a chance.

Just talking dreams here, but it's fun to do.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MarkK

Whoever it is as long as they are "taking home the hardware."
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

DocWrestling

I don't disagree with your point about another program.  Kids in Wisconsin get ripped off on scholarship opportunities in just about every sport.  The UW system has been very unsupportive.  I would love to see the UW system invest in making one of the state schools Wisconsin State and rebrand it much like Minnesota-Mankato became Minnesota St.

Wisconsin has a ton fewer scholarship sports/opportunities in every sport than compared to Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, etc.  I am not including Michigan and Illinois because they are much more populated states but Michigan is not that much more.

That is the main reason why our D3 sports programs are so successful.  Many kids that would be on scholarship if they lived in other states.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DocWrestling

We have five football players form here leaving the state to play at Minnesota-Duluth (2), St. Cloud St (2), and Minnesota State because of scholarship opportunities
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

Quote from: getyourpoints on March 07, 2017, 08:19:30 PM
Doc,
I think the UW system treats local kids very unfairly as well.
I think in the past the D3 programs could compete with D2 and maybe some small D1 programs. But I have several friends that work and coach at the D3 level that would tell you the gap has become much bigger between D3 and D2 athletes, size and speed. Look at the ST Cloud roster and you will see kids from all over the US.

To be fair, I think that trend reflects HS wrestling and specialized athletes. The D1 schools aren't going to look at the local hero kid; but the one with national prominence. Those will be the students with the focus (and $$$$) to go to national tourneys regularly.

bigG

It is across the board. Kids who are B-Ballers tend to be more focused on that one sport. Where I am money is THE main thing that stops many kids who have poor parents from going to nationals.  anew four wheeler sure ain't in the books. A new toaster can be a struggle (extravagance, I know). Every sport has more upper-eschelon training opportunities they can go to if they have the inclination and money. I'm glad money is no big deal where you are. For rural poor, the dream of their kid being a state/national champ ain't happening. They rely on local coaches/school opportunities. Where I am it isn't a small percentage. it's not even a consideration to blow that kind of money on a sport; unless the parents want it to happen and they have the cash. Most don't have the cash, thus they don't think nationals.

IMO, specialization has created the rift between D1 and the rest. I don't think there is a sinister undertone to D1 sports undermining D2 and 3. I do tell kids with D1 dreams to be careful what they wish for. Scholarships are a two way street and they may be adjusted to attract new talent. Also, if you're under scholarship and the coach wants you to cut like crazy, then go up, and back down, you're doin' it. Best HS athlete I've ever seen went D3 so he could focus on school and still play sports. I'm great with that.