Rising Tide lifts all boats

Started by wrestler_73, March 03, 2017, 10:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 05, 2017, 04:52:49 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 05, 2017, 01:07:13 PM
Exactly! Ben Askren is worth the gamble because I doubt you're going to attract a broad and deep pool of coaches, particularly head coaches with track records of success, interested in the UW job. So why not take a chance who will immediately attract attention, perhaps even some good recruits which can be start of a foundation of success.

My advice is based largely on the knowledge of who will be making this decision and that's Barry Alvarez. He will more than likely give great deference to whomever Barry Davis will designate as his successor (which most people feel will be Trevor Brandvold). To overcome this will require two things 1). an impressive interview which will wow BA with its attention to detail and planning and 2). as I said, a grassroots upswelling of support from the state's wrestling community which is designed to impress Alvarez and influence his decision-making process.

Basically what Ben has to do is say: "I can coach UW to a Big Ten title and here's how I plan to do so."  And with so many people wanting to see hime get that chance, my hope is Alvarez will say "So many people in the state want him and he seems to know what he's talking about and has the connections which can help boost the program, what there's to lose? There may well be a lot to gain."

I would be totally surprised if Alvarez would do anything before Barry's contract is up other than give him another extension. In my mind, UW wrestling isn't going to be important to  anyone until Alvarez is gone. That's the only chance of Davis being gone. Remember what Barry said, His favorite time of the year was when he gets a contract extension

Well BA will probably keep giving BD the extra year so Davis will likely always have 3 extra years under contract.  The present (and future) of Wisconsin wrestling is in the hands of Barry Davis.  The good thing is Davis does care about the program.

The next two years may be long for some on this board.  Yet with a third location of AWA now open in Wisconsin, Askren continues to help Wisconsin's future in this sport.

head57

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 05, 2017, 04:52:49 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 05, 2017, 01:07:13 PM
Exactly! Ben Askren is worth the gamble because I doubt you're going to attract a broad and deep pool of coaches, particularly head coaches with track records of success, interested in the UW job. So why not take a chance who will immediately attract attention, perhaps even some good recruits which can be start of a foundation of success.

My advice is based largely on the knowledge of who will be making this decision and that's Barry Alvarez. He will more than likely give great deference to whomever Barry Davis will designate as his successor (which most people feel will be Trevor Brandvold). To overcome this will require two things 1). an impressive interview which will wow BA with its attention to detail and planning and 2). as I said, a grassroots upswelling of support from the state's wrestling community which is designed to impress Alvarez and influence his decision-making process.

Basically what Ben has to do is say: "I can coach UW to a Big Ten title and here's how I plan to do so."  And with so many people wanting to see hime get that chance, my hope is Alvarez will say "So many people in the state want him and he seems to know what he's talking about and has the connections which can help boost the program, what there's to lose? There may well be a lot to gain."

I would be totally surprised if Alvarez would do anything before Barry's contract is up other than give him another extension. In my mind, UW wrestling isn't going to be important to  anyone until Alvarez is gone. That's the only chance of Davis being gone. Remember what Barry said, His favorite time of the year was when he gets a contract extension

He is never going to simply let it coach's contract run out.  He will extend a year right up until he retires or is fire. You can't have a college coach two years left on their contract try to recruit kids who will be asked to be there for for five years.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

wrestlemania

The presumption is, as I understand it, Davis probably has 2-3 seasons left in him.

I have explained why Davis has been kept on for so long and its not just under BA. Pat Richter could have canned him in the late 90s after three straight losing seasons if he wanted to and chose not to. And at this point it's not worth it, especially with Davis the all-time winningest coach in school history. All the accomplishments he's had in his career are the same as any other UW wrestling coach. While canning him might make some feel better, a new coach with the same structural problems won't cure anything and would destabilize the situation (what if it takes Askren some time to turn things around?). What needs to change is the culture and structure and support of the sport at Wisconsin, which is why I and many others like Askren because he would represent such change. Thus he needs to start planning for that eventual future if he's still interested.

Ty Clark

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 05, 2017, 05:57:47 PM
The presumption is, as I understand it, Davis probably has 2-3 seasons left in him.

I have explained why Davis has been kept on for so long and its not just under BA. Pat Richter could have canned him in the late 90s after three straight losing seasons if he wanted to and chose not to. And at this point it's not worth it, especially with Davis the all-time winningest coach in school history. All the accomplishments he's had in his career are the same as any other UW wrestling coach. While canning him might make some feel better, a new coach with the same structural problems won't cure anything and would destabilize the situation (what if it takes Askren some time to turn things around?). What needs to change is the culture and structure and support of the sport at Wisconsin, which is why I and many others like Askren because he would represent such change. Thus he needs to start planning for that eventual future if he's still interested.

Bingo. The best move right now would be to go to Madison Area Technical College and start a JUCO program... It would show Alvarez (or the future AD) that he has the ability to build a collegiate program and demonstrate the ability to recruit. More importantly, it would establish a local feeder for the UW. If the plan is to wall off the borders, then there may be a few that need a year or two of JUCO to get things straightened out, and it could act as an overflow for underclassmen to save room on the UW roster (and they could still train with the Badger Wrestling Club).
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

wrestlemania

Not a bad idea if he's itching to coach somewhere soon.

woody53

Quote from: Ty Clark on March 05, 2017, 06:50:52 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 05, 2017, 05:57:47 PM

Bingo. The best move right now would be to go to Madison Area Technical College and start a JUCO program... It would show Alvarez (or the future AD) that he has the ability to build a collegiate program and demonstrate the ability to recruit. More importantly, it would establish a local feeder for the UW. If the plan is to wall off the borders, then there may be a few that need a year or two of JUCO to get things straightened out, and it could act as an overflow for underclassmen to save room on the UW roster (and they could still train with the Badger Wrestling Club).

Ty, Look at what MATC did in the past. Did not make a difference, for the UW . By the way MATC was very good in my era ,
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Micah

Quote from: coconut joe on March 06, 2017, 03:47:16 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 05, 2017, 10:42:45 AM
Ben, if you really want the UW post you need to do two things before it opens up:

1). Come up with a detailed, specific plan of how to take the program from the middle of he pack of the B1G to the top. You need to show how this can be done in terms of recruiting, fundraising, marketing, the staff you intend to hire and style of coaching.  The plan needs to spell out how this is to be done within the structures of the program which are set i.e limited numbers in the wrestling room, the existing facilities and strict academic requirements, because these are things you cannot change until get there and have some success.

2). Get overwhelming grassroots support from the state's wrestling community i.e. high school coaches, club coaches, retired coaches and wrestlers and Hall of Fame members etc. A large groundswell in your favor may convince the powers that be at 1440 Monroe St. to give you a chance.   

Jeez, who died and made you boss? 

Sounds like a Coup d'etat

maggie

Bennie, thank God I'm still the Public relations director,   ;)   because this young man has it going on !...No doubt that Ben could step in and coach at this level and Higher !...that's not even Debateable!  question would be, could he ever toss the yellow out for the Red?....Not a chance ni Hattie's I say ! ....Just my Opinion Tho... The Champ bleeds MEZZO Yellow !  :)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

littleguy301

Gosh, just a shot in the arm is something the Badgers team needs.

While I am sure the coaches work their respective tail ends off to produce the best they can, it is just hard competing with those history rich programs.

Not an excuse because I seriously doubt BD or any of the coaching staff is happy with their place last weekend.

being so far away from Madison it almost seems that I am from another planet when it comes to following badger wrestling.

I think Ben would bring the hype back to the entire state and then over a period of time, I do think ben would do a great job because I dont think his ego would stop him from bringing in some top coaches.

Side note, I do like what the assistants at the Badgers are doing.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Barou

I first saw this thread today.  Actually seems like there is some momentum to get Askren the job.  If Alvarez actually cared, an Askren hire would increase attendance at dual meets both home and away!  That would be the shot of adrenaline the program needs.

If anyone is putting together a formal effort to bring this to the attention of Alvarez, let me know!
JHI Mafia

Barou

Quote from: getyourpoints on March 07, 2017, 08:34:13 AM
This is just a bunch of old guys talking on a forum, no one is acting on anything they see on this blog.
If Ben wants the job I suggest he puts his resume together and send it in. Then put on a suit and tie (no sandles) and go meet with BA. He would most likely have to serve as BD assistant for a transitional period.
Sorry to bring reality to the dream.
I think if it was transitioned to Ben correctly he could build a power house team.

Why does he need to be a BD assistant?  Why a transitional period?  The 5 years in the MIZZOU room as a wrestler and the years as an assistant at MIZZOU and Arizona State haven't been enough experience?  It's not like he would be taking over from a good HC like Sanderson, Smith, etc.  The idea is for the new guy to bring in his own approach.  What experience did Sanderson have when he got the Iowa State job?  I think he completed college in '02, trained for and won the Olympics in '04, and got the head job in '05.  Not 100% but it's close to that.

I agree though, old guys on the forum don't matter.  It's a wrestling forum.  Old WI guys with dreams share their thoughts sometimes. 
JHI Mafia

DocWrestling

Building a wrestling only facility would be a primary goal.  I would think you could get corporate support and grassroots support for the UW program if you can get support from UW adminsitration.  It takes a coach to push to make UW different than all the others.

I have always said that youth wrestling should help UW wrestling.  Imagine if every youth wrestling tournament raised their fee $1 and that $1 was given to the UW wrestling program.

A lot of money could be raised and everyone would feel like they were part of the program.  It is going to take the entire state to help make significant changes to help the new coach no matter who it is.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrestler_73

This is a forum...and our opinions may have no impact on the decision makers for the  next HC for the Badger wrestling program.  I believe that a unified voice from Wisconsin wrestling fans could make a difference.

Personally, I am excited that Ben has interest in the position. 

MNbadger

J Rob promoted this idea strongly. " Imagine if every youth wrestling tournament raised their fee $1 and that $1 was given to the UW wrestling program. "
I tried suggesting something similar when we competed in a large WI tournament.  I suggested each team increase their fee and the increase go to the college program that ran the tourney.  The program was struggling at that time (though any program needs money of course). My proposal fell on deaf ears.  The only team that was willing to do it was ours and we were from another state. 
I had suggested each team pay an extra $100.00.  With 50
+ teams that would be a nice shot each year for the collegiate program.  Let's assume on average each team had even ten parents there, each contributing  $10.00, an easy deal, right?................Nope.

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 07, 2017, 08:57:34 AM
Building a wrestling only facility would be a primary goal.  I would think you could get corporate support and grassroots support for the UW program if you can get support from UW adminsitration.  It takes a coach to push to make UW different than all the others.

I have always said that youth wrestling should help UW wrestling.  Imagine if every youth wrestling tournament raised their fee $1 and that $1 was given to the UW wrestling program.

A lot of money could be raised and everyone would feel like they were part of the program.  It is going to take the entire state to help make significant changes to help the new coach no matter who it is.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

DocWrestling

If we have USA wrestling fees, we should invent a UW Wrestling card for $10 and require for youth tournaments.

Problem is that our D3 programs need even more help probably so where does the money go?

My thoughts are if UW is a top program that only helps all the D3 programs and UW-Madison should have great outreach to the D3 programs in the state and helping them in other ways.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!