State Division for 6 and under. Thoughts?

Started by TomM, October 06, 2016, 11:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

C'mon!   I don't think there would anything hugely wrong with having a 6U state but do think there are a lot more negatives versus positives.

But, you seem to be inferring that the best wrestling states are somehow better because they have 6U state championships or that they know or care more about wrestling?  There is no way states have better wrestling because they have 6U wrestling.  They have it because nobody said no and USA, NUWAY, and AAU all knew they could make a lot more money from it!

Just like our Saturday morning tournaments! Tournaments are not set up to have an altruistic way of trying to figure out who is better and rank the kids.  They are set up to make money first and secondarily provide opportunities.  No tournament exists if it does not make money.  That is why we have an awards race at youth tournaments.  It is a marketing attempt to get more wrestlers and make MORE money.  That is why tournaments call themselves "national" tournaments when they really have kids from maybe 10 states and there is no qualification to get there.  They are selling but we don't always have to buy!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Numbers

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 11, 2016, 03:43:19 PM
Doc,
I am not suggesting 6u makes those states better. What I am saying is what's wrong with shadowing states with strong numbers and good results.
I am only digging in because we seem to always argue for less on the forum and when I read other states wrestling sites the tone seems to be more of a let's try attitude.
Let's try to double the amount of Greco/Freestyle area tournaments in Wisconsin during the March to May 2017 period from the amount of 2016 tournaments held.  Then increase the 2018 tournaments by 50% from the 2017 amount.

So if the 8U and up Greco/Freestyle athlete participation doubles over the next two years in Wisconsin, this could happen!  It could be done!  Just need all districts to start scheduling March-April practice times and book facilities for Spring 2017.

So Wisconsin can do more to advance youth wrestling skills development and numbers (without focusing on kids 6 years old or younger).  So WWF and/or WWCA can add this topic to the statewide meeting agendas this month and see what areas of the state want to go down this path.  Somebody needs to lead, and others need to support.

How is that for a can do attitude?

DocWrestling

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 11, 2016, 03:43:19 PM
Doc,
I am not suggesting 6u makes those states better. What I am saying is what's wrong with shadowing states with strong numbers and good results.
I am only digging in because we seem to always argue for less on the forum and when I read other states wrestling sites the tone seems to be more of a let's try attitude.

Maybe I am just getting old and think less is more!  ;D  I like to think outside the box and try new things but this would not be one I would be in favor of.

I am just getting a bit tired of youth sports seasons being longer and having more competitions than the high school season. This is not a problem just in wrestling.  Youth basketball and youth hockey started here before youth football was over and high school seasons for them don't start for another month and the youth seasons do not end until well after the high school season.  I am such a proponent of 3-sport athletes and it is getting impossible from a time and cost commitment for families.  I have four kids in many different sports and you can see the fatigue in their faces at times.  My only goal is to try and get them to the finish line by enjoying the sports and competing all the way through high school no matter their ability because I think that will give them the character and work ethic to excel in life.  I believe that is the true benefit of sports.  Nobody cares what your successes were when you are 30 and your priorities have nothing to do with sports in general but more about what you learned in practicing and competing.

The even more funny part is that I am in favor of delaying the start of wrestling season a week and maybe dropping to 5 tournaments a year rather than 7 and the HS season is already shorter than the youth season These kids need to get their lives back and have some fun in other ways also.  I just see coaches and athletes needing more Saturdays off!  If kids absolutely love wrestling and cannot get enough there are plenty of pre-season opportunities and even more in the post-season and there is nothing wrong with that.

Handles II

A much more meaningful and better direction to go for the whole of the sport, and the kids would be to promote JHI rather than 6 year-old state. As Doc said, it's about the money, and I'm 100% positive I can do a real poll of MN coaches and it would conclude that  more and earlier wrestling isn't better for their programs. Oh wait, I did that last year.  ;)

DocWrestling

I will agree that the disorganization of middle school wrestling and seasons is one of the biggest problems.  We need to get an organized season and have their own tournaments and get them away from the K-8 youth tournaments!  Could maybe be the only time in history I might be in favor of WIAA getting involved which is kind of funny because we fought to get out of WIAA because of conflict with WIAA season and club/WWF season.

I would love to see it go back to duals, weight classes, teams, etc.

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on October 12, 2016, 01:11:50 PM
I will agree that the disorganization of middle school wrestling and seasons is one of the biggest problems.  We need to get an organized season and have their own tournaments and get them away from the K-8 youth tournaments!  Could maybe be the only time in history I might be in favor of WIAA getting involved which is kind of funny because we fought to get out of WIAA because of conflict with WIAA season and club/WWF season.

I would love to see it go back to duals, weight classes, teams, etc.
Our MS season is just like that Doc with a couple individual MS tourneys, two multi dual meets and several meets with multiple schools matching kids up by weight and ability. This is better than a dual with a school or even two schools as you now get multiple matches for multiple kids. Amazing how many kids weigh the same!

padre

Quote from: H. Hogan on October 12, 2016, 08:07:23 PM
Heck why wait till 6, start the state level tournament once they are potty trained, heck we can even have a "in diapers" division!!! Mat side changing tables!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Do a straw poll of 4 people from wrestling states and if they like the idea let's do it.  ;D

They will have to be in the earliest regional and state group as to not miss their naps.

On that note at state 6U tournaments do they take an hour off and let the kids get their blankies and take their nap?  I don't think my kids at that age ever stayed up a whole day.

Mack

I was hoping this meant 6 weeks and under.  I think if you don't get the kids out on the mat shortly after exiting the womb, the kid's  kinda screwed in terms of winning any high school state title.  And, just totally forget collegiate wrestling.  I see kids trying to get into the sport at 6 and 9 months, and I'm like, nice try.