Refs

Started by Wrestlologist, February 28, 2016, 05:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrestlologist

My complements to the refs at State.  I had good seats and watched all five sessions.  As a whole, the refs did really well.  Since I was neutral on most bouts, the refs made less mistakes than when I am biased for a certain wrestler.

There were only a few matches where a call was questionable. Why do we have have multiple refs when the second ref NEVER overrules the main ref?  Also, stalling rules should be the same all match.  Some refs can "feel" the towel boy coming and seem to call stalling on the leader when the action is the same as the ref allowed throughout the match.

A video should be made of Larry the ref to train new refs. He made "full motion" calls and seemed to enjoy his work. He empathized with the loser and proudly held up the arm of the winner.  A+ job.

All in all - great job refs.  Keep up the good work.
Always do what is right ... God doesn't grade on a curve.

woody53

Never is not true as the Assistant did help the Head Official this past tournament.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Wrestlologist

Woody, you would know. I change my post to say "almost never" instead of never.  However, I do not remember seeing a match in which the assistant caused the head official to overrule his original call.  I couldn't watch all matches at once, so I may have missed it.
Always do what is right ... God doesn't grade on a curve.

woody53

I am not at liberty to state the examples. (that would bring more attention) But there were three times this weekend were the Assistant helped the Head Official make the correct call. And that is just what I know of.

DocWrestling

I saw an assistant ref call locked hands that the head ref did not see.

Seemed like more calls of locked hands and grabbing the head gear than I have seen in the past.

The fact that there are no controversies means they did a good job.

I know I need to brush up on what technically is "potentially dangerous" and what technically is an escape.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

thequad

Yes, I agree they did a very good job.

I have said for many years that it would be great if stalling could be more consistent. But I don't see how this can be accomplished, since every referee looks at a situation different. JMO
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Quack

I seen a ref look at the clock with .02 on it and then grab and flip his disk. Not really sure how a ref of state caliber could do this. For the most part I think the refs did a pretty decent job.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

npope

In arguably the most visible match of the entire tournament, the assistant ref waived off a locked hands call by the head ref in the Kilty v. Anglin match.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

woody53

Quote from: npope on February 28, 2016, 06:27:26 PM
In arguably the most visible match of the entire tournament, the assistant ref waived off a locked hands call by the head ref in the Kitly v. Anglin match.
It is very hard to see them Zach is in the neutral (standing) position. You have to know his body actions. The correct call was made.

Quack

Quote from: woody53 on February 28, 2016, 06:29:59 PM
In arguably the most visible match of the entire tournament, the assistant ref waived off a locked hands call by the head ref in the Kitly v. Anglin match.
It is very hard to see them Zach is in the neutral (standing) position. You have to know his body actions. The correct call was made.

That match had be tough to officiate
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

woody53

Quote from: Quack on February 28, 2016, 06:40:12 PM
Quote from: woody53 on February 28, 2016, 06:29:59 PM

That match had be tough to officiate

It was from talking to the Officials. They did a great job.

ksbird

The referees did a great job regional sectionals and state. We need more people so sign up and put the strips on. Great job guys, I have worked with several of you, and some well... I wont comment but a great job in 2015- 2016 for sure!!!!

CLC FAN

Quote from: Wrestlologist on February 28, 2016, 05:37:53 PM

A video should be made of Larry the ref to train new refs. He made "full motion" calls and seemed to enjoy his work. He empathized with the loser and proudly held up the arm of the winner.  A+ job.

Agreed about Larry Gorres.  He is one of the best refs I have ever met.  I've had the honor of working with him as a ref at youth regionals for a number of years, and he refs 1st and 2nd grade matches with the same effort and passion.  It is truly admirable.  I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but Larry, along with a few other high-quality refs, is retiring after this year.  This was Larry's last year at the state tournament.  He has given much to the sport and will be missed.  Thank you for all the years Larry!

Batman

Div-3 182 pound final (Bornbach vs. Joles). If you watch the match on track, from 10:54 to 11:06 what's the reasoning for Joles not being given a defensive takedown/nearfall? Reffing was very good, that match just sticks out in my mind. I could be wrong, but I felt points should've been awarded.

Ghetto

Probably because there is no such thing as a defensive takedown or nearfall. Guessing that's why it wasn't called.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove