Wrestling State tournament- team before individual?

Started by DocWrestling, January 19, 2016, 11:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintortureagony

Division 1 schools get 2 days of school off already, because they already start early on Thursday and Division 2 & 3 schools get a half day off on Thursday.  With a new format, all schools would have 2 days off and only the teams that make it to team state have to leave school early on Wednesday for team state.  So its only a half day more then it is now.

Schools that make it to team state will need another night in a hotel for Wednesday night, but it not much different from having to drive into Madison 2 weekends in a row with today's format with individual one weekend and team state the next.

shouldvewrestled

It would be a full three days for teams not near Madison, NW part of state is 4-6 hr drive depending on where you are. Even another half day can be a nightmare for teachers to schedule around, getting the kids to actually do the work they miss. Most will do it, more than you'd think will not. It's easy to say just another half day but lots of logistical nightmares. Not to mention the team portion would be during the work week for fans.

Like I said it could work just pointing out a few downfalls of it. Woody's 8 mat proposal would be better IMO or keep it the same.

Jimmy

I'm guessing Minnesota changed their format a few yrs ago from having team and Indy intertwined to doing the team in one day.

littleguy301

mt only real complaining that I do about the state series is the fact they dont wrestle for 3rd place.

At team state they have the time, space to have those teams wrestle for 3rd place. I mean in D2 and 3 they bring down 4 teams and the losing team in the first round gets one match. I say they should be able to wrestle a second match for the 3rd place. Heck the fans make the drive and if it is truely about the kids they would give those kids 2 matches and the school and fans those schools bring down.

In D1 they also should at least wrestle for 3rd, maybe even 5th then all teams also get 2 matches.

It should be done for other sports also, it is quite an honor to make state maybe a kids or school only chance and to wrestle 1 match in the team aspect just isnt enough in my opinion.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Paul Harvey

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 25, 2016, 11:49:02 AM
mt only real complaining that I do about the state series is the fact they dont wrestle for 3rd place.

At team state they have the time, space to have those teams wrestle for 3rd place. I mean in D2 and 3 they bring down 4 teams and the losing team in the first round gets one match. I say they should be able to wrestle a second match for the 3rd place. Heck the fans make the drive and if it is truely about the kids they would give those kids 2 matches and the school and fans those schools bring down.

In D1 they also should at least wrestle for 3rd, maybe even 5th then all teams also get 2 matches.

It should be done for other sports also, it is quite an honor to make state maybe a kids or school only chance and to wrestle 1 match in the team aspect just isnt enough in my opinion.

And now you know........ the rest of the story........Good Day!

padre

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 25, 2016, 11:49:02 AM

Plus 2

bigoil

That would be cool but I don't think that is consistent with any other team sports in the WIAA.

The Last Ride

Quote from: bigoil on January 25, 2016, 02:25:41 PM
That would be cool but I don't think that is consistent with any other team sports in the WIAA.

Probably true but there are only 3 divisions in wrestling and the match lasts 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

woody53

Everything you all are bringing up, has been looked at by the Supervisors, that run the Tournaments, and the WIAA. We can make it all work. Has to be Championed by the Coaches Association first, before anything happens. As the Supervisor for the Tournament, my main goal is opportunity. That is why I have been so "Pro" Double Elimination for everyone.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!