Hello CLC Fan- Whitdale wins!

Started by determined, February 14, 2015, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike

Congrats to Whitdale for advancing to team sectionals.  It's the coaching staffs first trip back since 2004.  More impressive is they did it with only Greendale's returning mvp in lineup as Whitnall's returning mvp was out.  Very good depth on that team  ::)

Fan1

I know many people are for co-ops and indicate we have too many forfeits in the current system.  To some point, I would agree that newly formed teams or two teams struggling to field a full lineup can experiment with combining teams to try to build programs back up.  While this will help as a temporary fix for numbers, the only way to build a program is through recruiting kids to the sport in Elementary and Middle School.  Establish the feeder program and do your best recruiting in the halls of the high school until the feeder program is supplying talented kids.  It's not easy but hey this is wrestling and we preach hard work and embracing the grind, not finding a loophole to victory.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything in place to stop schools from combining to simply build a championship team.  While this co-op isn't going to beat Kaukauna, they have already robbed a solid West Allis Central team of a regional title.  Yes, I understand that the Athletic Directors from the conference (which already has two co-ops) and the principals approved the co-op.  The WIAA approval was likely a formality especially with the sob story given about declining numbers.

My question is at what point does the WIAA step in when two schools that clearly should not be a co-op do?  How about when a year one co-op wins the team state finals? 

Would anyone care if their team was knocked out of the team state tournament by a year 1 co-op in which 1 of the teams had no business adding 5 state quality wrestlers? 

This Whitnall team estimated they had 29 wrestlers returning, do you know how many teams in the state can only dream of those numbers? 

The Greendale team would have placed above West Allis Hale and Muskego with ONLY THE Greendale wrestlers that wrestled at regionals.

Even if Greendale needed a co-op which clearly there are teams in more dire situations, Whitnall should never have been an option.
Common Arguments:
1. We just want to give these kids opportunities
   What about the 14 varsity spots that were eliminated by co-oping?  What about the opportunities that were stolen from the teams you beat because you have had enough losing on your own you decided to bend the rules.  How about the 7 of the other 30 kids from your own program that could have gotten regional wrestling experience?   
2. We are thinking outside the box
   I'll give you that, the box though is the box of morals most coaches have about what you can do to help your team win.  Congratulations, you are the first ones to take it to this level.     

Out of Nowhere

I still find it funny that all of you have your undies in a bunch over a co-op but aren't screaming about kids open enrolling or moving to other schools with better programs.  I doubt you'll see any teams that lost to Wauwatosa complaining because they got a new kid on the team.  Personally, I wish everyone would just get over the whole thing and deal with it.  We should be celebrating wrestling at this time...not tearing down a team.

aggressive

Open enrollment is a family decision, not a decision that is handed down from school personnel that dictates the direction of all students and families.
As for wanting to celebrate wrestling this time of year, I agree completely. This co-op makes that very difficult.

Quack

Think about this one. A kid lives in school district A and goes to school there for a 1/4 of the year. Then switches to school District B. For years A and B have had a co-op. How do you think the WIAA handled this one?  You would think they wouldn't say a thing, since the kid never left the team, but the kid switched school. Our wonderful WIAA had a hard time with this one.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

wraslfan

Quote from: Out of Nowhere on February 16, 2015, 07:53:09 PM
I still find it funny that all of you have your undies in a bunch over a co-op but aren't screaming about kids open enrolling or moving to other schools with better programs.  I doubt you'll see any teams that lost to Wauwatosa complaining because they got a new kid on the team.  Personally, I wish everyone would just get over the whole thing and deal with it.  We should be celebrating wrestling at this time...not tearing down a team.
How many open enroll? Examples? Which program was the better program? Whitnall or Greendale? (since there were 7 wrestlers from each school)

bigG

Not many teams are made and broken by open enrollment. Not made are made or broken by a co-op. This is one exception; but it falls within the rules. Just doesn't sound like it was administered very well by the inclusion of stakeholders.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

aspan43

Pewaukee wins 31-23.  The Whitdale experiment is over, and with 12 of their 14 wrestlers tonight being seniors, next year could be rough.

neutral

Quote from: aspan43 on February 17, 2015, 09:53:39 PM
Pewaukee wins 31-23.  The Whitdale experiment is over, and with 12 of their 14 wrestlers tonight being seniors, next year could be rough.

Time to add a third team?

woodald

For the sake of OUR sport, I'm very happy with the outcome.  Your 1-year experiment didn't work and now you have to rebuild two programs.  What happens with the JV Conference Champ who didn't have a spot this year and didn't go out?  Is he welcomed back?  Cheaters don't win!

Ghetto

Quote from: woodald on February 18, 2015, 08:28:27 AM
For the sake of OUR sport, I'm very happy with the outcome.  Your 1-year experiment didn't work and now you have to rebuild two programs.  What happens with the JV Conference Champ who didn't have a spot this year and didn't go out?  Is he welcomed back?  Cheaters don't win!

It's a two year deal. All co-ops are.

They didn't cheat.

A kid who doesn't go out has no one to blame but himself.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

neutral

Pewaukee wrestlers top Whitnall/Greendale, advances to state team meet
By Joe Shinners, Special to the Journal Sentinel  -  Feb. 17, 2015

Mukwonago — The tension between the Whitnall/Greendale and Pewaukee wrestling teams has been simmering all season.

The Pirates and their coach, Ed Kurth, had the last laugh Tuesday night. They won two crucial swing matches and pulled out a 31-23 victory over Whitnall/Greendale in a dual that began at 170 pounds to win the Division 1 team sectional final and advance to the state team tournament for the fifth time.

Whitnall/Greendale, the first-year co-op that received a lot of negative attention this season, was denied a chance at state and finished 31-5. Whitnall last qualified for the state team tournament in 1995.

Pewaukee (16-3) will face Wisconsin Rapids in the quarterfinals March 6 at the UW Field House in Madison.

There was bad blood between the teams all season over the merger, but Whitnall/Greendale coach John Quinlan and Kurth finally found something to agree on in the final meeting this year. The dual was decided by the outcomes of the matches at 182 and 145. Both went Pewaukee's way and so did the Pirates' first berth in the Division 1 field after qualifying four times in Division 2. Pewaukee finished second in Division 2 last year. Both swing matches were decided in the final seconds as Pewaukee avenged a 36-30 loss to Whitnall/Greendale during the Woodland Conference dual meet season.

At 182, Pewaukee senior Jacob Becker (29-17) outlasted Whitnall/Greendale senior Ryan Olson (37-10) in a marathon seven-period thriller by a 3-2 margin on the ultimate tiebreaker. Becker scored his final point when he rode Olson in the final 15-second overtime period. It was the fourth overtime period of the match.

Pewaukee jumped out to a 20-0 lead by winning the first five matches. Sophomore Jacob Raschka (47-1) opened the dual by pinning Whitnall/Greendale junior Chase Kendall (19-13) in 1 minute 38 seconds at 170. Whitnall/Greendale came back to win five of the next six matches from 106 to 132 to tie the dual at 20-20. Whitnall/Greendale senior Josh Rinka (23-21) pinned Pewaukee freshman Caden Evers (6-14) in 2:58 to start the run.

At 145, Pewaukee senior Matt Fritchen (28-16) came through when Pewaukee needed it most. Fritchen's takedown with 15 seconds left in the third period gave him a 6-4 victory over Whitnall/Greendale senior Blake Leslie (14-5) and basically sealed the dual. Fritchen's takedown gave the Pirates a 28-20 lead with two matches remaining.

"Give them credit," said Quinlan, whose team was hurt by the absence of injured senior state qualifier Nick Monty (152). "They won the close ones. Obviously, it was a big challenge without Monty. But we had our chances. In a title match, you've got to win the close ones."

Every other match in the dual went as expected with Pewaukee dominating the upper weights, and Whitnall/Greendale dominating the lower weights.

"When we won at 182, we knew we were in control," said Kurth. "When we won at 145, we knew it was over."

------------------------------------------------------

"Obviously, it was a big challenge without Monty." =  kinda lame excuse ... since W-G won at 152  ... and would have needed Monty to move up to 160 & pin to win  -  but you know what excuses are for ...

boowrestle

Iam assumming not many individual tournies.i dont think ive ever seen a dual meet record like that before.Congrads to Pewaukee!!!!!
you can run but you cannot hide.