Stevens Point

Started by thequad, January 12, 2015, 04:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Foose4 Track is worth the 102.50 for several reasons.

It makes the tournament easier to run

Coaches are responsible for entering their own lineups prior to the meet.

Scoring of the matches are easier, settling the tie criteria is automatic

Information is instantly sent to your local newspaper, if the coach enters the contact info for their local newspapers into the system.

I have ran tournaments before trackwrestling and I have ran them with track and it is without a doubt worth every penny. Plus it can give out sport and people that cannot attend a way to keep up with wrestlers in the tournament,

JMHO

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 14, 2015, 06:06:29 PM
At some point I hope all coaches feel the understanding that part of their job is to promote the sport and generate interest.  With that they should take it seriously that results are posted and designate someone to do that for them.

Basketball and Football, etc have an increasing number of coaches that submit stats to the Wissports.com system or to their conference web sites.

I would hope that in the future It would be very simple to look up on trackwrestling and see every match of every wrestler and an updated record.  Verifying that everything is correct. This helps everyone and as I see it does not hurt anyone.

This takes coaches and it takes a program for trackwrestling.  Hopefully we are evolving that way

I can also get twitter updates on many basketball teams during their games. Obviously the head coach (in most cases Ghetto) are not the ones making the tweet but rather an assigned parent/spouse.

bkraus

While I agree on the benefits and the merits of trackwrestling for individual tournaments, it is pretty easy to run a dual tourney without it.  I would not pay the extra expense for a dual tourney either.
Strive for Perfection

DocWrestling

I do believe that if you run a tourney it is your job to promote the sport and get the results out to fans everywhere.  It only helps the sport.

Believe it or not fans in Milwaukee want to see and follow results from Hudson and Eau Claire. 
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

foose4

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 15, 2015, 12:06:38 PM
I do believe that if you run a tourney it is your job to promote the sport and get the results out to fans everywhere.  It only helps the sport.

Believe it or not fans in Milwaukee want to see and follow results from Hudson and Eau Claire. 

I still believe it's not worth $100 out of your wrestling budget (school won't be taking it out of general fund) to have the results there.  It doesn't add to your program in any way.  The local support you have and need will be there and not following on track.  It doesn't give Hudson any more support with Milwaukee knowing the results. A coach can still get results out to the newspapers and that doesn't cost anything.

I am all for getting information out there, but doing it the most cost effective for your program is best.

Also, I believe the wissports stats information is free to enter.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

boowrestle

you can run but you cannot hide.

DocWrestling

Quote from: foose4 on January 15, 2015, 12:42:59 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 15, 2015, 12:06:38 PM

I still believe it's not worth $100 out of your wrestling budget (school won't be taking it out of general fund) to have the results there.  It doesn't add to your program in any way.  The local support you have and need will be there and not following on track.  It doesn't give Hudson any more support with Milwaukee knowing the results. A coach can still get results out to the newspapers and that doesn't cost anything.

I am all for getting information out there, but doing it the most cost effective for your program is best.

Also, I believe the wissports stats information is free to enter.

This is wrestling.  We need to help ourselves and think about more than our own microscopic view.  Wrestling interest does not grow if we we just worry about the local support that can make it.  The truth is that probably 25% of a wrestlers support fans can make the trip live and even a lower percentage of each town's fans and now you add in all the fans that don't have a direct horse in the race.  I guess there is no need for us to ever know the results or stats of a Raiders-Chargers football game?  There are going to be some big matches there and that creates interest and fans which leads to excitement and growth.  Are you saying you have never looked for results for matches that you did not attend?  You charge 50 cents more on admission and it is covered easily. 

Are you telling me that all the results will be posted in the Stevens Point Sunday newspaper?  Are you telling me that all the fans will be able to go to their on-line paper and see all the match results?  Most newspapers only publish what is sent to them via trackwrestling.  And you know what in today's world, Sunday morning is already too late!  Why in the world would Milton be putting their dual on web stream if they only cared about those that can make it.

Sorry but this is one of my pet peeves in wrestling.  We kill ourselves with no promotion or results.  We can even get wrestling fans results much less the general public.

If I was a coach looking out for my own fans, I might think about only going to trackwrestling tourneys because I know my fans and family can follow along in real time.

MarkK

I'm thinking some of this has implications as to why the sport has been teetering on the olympic chopping block
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

shift

Couldn't agree more Doc!!!! Well said!!!   

Track has added so much to the sport in a positive way... I think the cost is well worth it,  going slightly off subject but cant tell you how many times ive heard parents/kids ask if its a track tourney or not cause they only prefer to attend those...  N watching my boys sitting together the night before checking there kids in there brackets is fun to watch, and as for a parent I love not sitting there hours before the tourney actually starts!!!  It also brings excitement to extended family who cant attend to follow how they do somewhat live...

thequad

If your that cheap, raise the entry fee for each team $10.25 and your cost is covered.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Mack

Track is one of the best things that ever happened to wrestling.  It has helped turn my non-wrestling family, scattered throughout the United States, into wrestling fans as they follow our kids' progress.  Track has given our boys' mostly home bound, partially blind Grandpa and arthritic Grandma an exciting way to spend their winter Saturdays. 

It's been hilarious to see my mostly non-techy parents learn their way around track, and become quite good at it.  I'm totally thankful for track, and if our school's program didn't pay for it, I'm pretty sure I'd flip the bill.

DocWrestling

Sports editors will also tell you that trackwrestling has made their jobs immensely easier which has led to more results being published.  It makes coaches jobs much easier as they simply enter in e-mails and results are sent as soon as the tournament is over.

missinghome

That makes me made when things are not on track. I love to sit down on my computer and look at all the duals and tournaments throughout the state.  It is an awesome way to stay up with wrestling. I bet I watch 25 matches a weekend from badger wrestling as well. Believe it or not fools some people have more then just there own kid or team they like to keep track of. Maybe they should quite televising the Packers because you can just read about it in the paper on Monday.

Stripes

As far as I know, it costs nothing to report your results on track. Save the 100 bucks, and just report the results. Simple enough?

Stripes

On another note, does anybody know what is up with Point's line up? They seem to have different kids and missing kids each tourney and dual. They have the makings to push hard for a conference/regional title but it just seems like pieces aren't fitting into place? Bad luck? Injuries? Strategy? Anybody have some insight?