The old days, how much weight did you cut?

Started by leg turk, March 26, 2014, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quack

Quote from: imnofish on April 01, 2014, 10:34:43 AM
Quote from: Quack on April 01, 2014, 07:06:48 AM
My senior year of football, I stepped on the scales at 225lbs, when I weighed in the second day of state I weighed 171lbs. We were really tough from 167-heavy. Our 167 was right there for weight, I was at 171lb in the 185lb class, and our Heavy was 189lbs. all three of us went to state that year.

That's pretty remarkable, considering how light you all were!  I had just the opposite situation.  The fact that our team was loaded from top to bottom resulted in me cutting 30 lbs. to make 145, just to crack the starting lineup.  Unfortunately, a late-season injury kept me out of tournaments.
We were a tough tight knit team. We had our spots and pretty much never challenged anyone for them. But we hated losing to each other in practice so we just kept making each other better. Plus you didn't want to lose a match and have the other guys do better. The week could be inappropriate term3 listening to your team mates making fun of you losing and them winning.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

imnofish

Quote from: Quack on April 01, 2014, 06:33:14 PM
Quote from: imnofish on April 01, 2014, 10:34:43 AM
Quote from: Quack on April 01, 2014, 07:06:48 AM
My senior year of football, I stepped on the scales at 225lbs, when I weighed in the second day of state I weighed 171lbs. We were really tough from 167-heavy. Our 167 was right there for weight, I was at 171lb in the 185lb class, and our Heavy was 189lbs. all three of us went to state that year.

That's pretty remarkable, considering how light you all were!  I had just the opposite situation.  The fact that our team was loaded from top to bottom resulted in me cutting 30 lbs. to make 145, just to crack the starting lineup.  Unfortunately, a late-season injury kept me out of tournaments.
We were a tough tight knit team. We had our spots and pretty much never challenged anyone for them. But we hated losing to each other in practice so we just kept making each other better. Plus you didn't want to lose a match and have the other guys do better. The week could be blazes listening to your team mates making fun of you losing and them winning.

Nothing like positive peer pressure.  8)  I remember my father telling me about taking one of his teams to a meet and none of his guys lost, but the ONE guy who didn't pin his opponent got razzed all the way home. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wrestling135

My freshmen year I would be 12/13 pounds over two days before the meet and never missed weight.  I wrestled 130.

roughandtough

Jr Year 185 for football and wrestled 152 for the first weigh in.  Sr year was about 175 for football and wrestled 152 at year end.  I weighed in at team state at 155 and that night back in the hotel room i weighed in at a lean mean 174.  Was up to 195 by baseball and decided it was time to trim up a little again.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Jimmy on April 01, 2014, 05:44:38 PM
WWF I checked records back to 1929 and can't find a 153 weight class. Did or does college have a growth allowance?

The weight class was 150 - We had a 3 lb allowance at the tournament.  At the time they did it just the opposite of high school.  At the end of the season, you had to make scratch weight - earlier in the season you had a weight allowance.  This was 1984.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Jimmy

Thanks, is this still in place or did it change when the. Weight classes. Changed?

littleguy301

Quote from: Jimmy on April 03, 2014, 01:44:59 PM
Thanks, is this still in place or did it change when the. Weight classes. Changed?

Like you ever cut weight ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: littleguy301 on April 03, 2014, 01:47:55 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on April 03, 2014, 01:44:59 PM

Like you ever cut weight ;D

Not sure how it works today.  After they moved the weights up 7 lbs, I know they had shorter time periods between weigh-ins and wrestling.  Wrestling begins something like 1.5 hours after weigh ins.  In the past, for some tournaments, you could weigh in the day before.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf