De Pere... the real story

Started by Believe It, February 17, 2017, 07:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

Quote from: woody53 on February 22, 2017, 05:03:59 PM
You do know that this went before a Judge, right. And he decided the out come. The WIAA followed the rules.

Please explain???? So an actual hearing was given and presented by both sides or did a judge just rule against an injunction?
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

woody53

Don't know what you are getting at Aaron, Both sides were allowed to present themselves to a Judge last week. After all evidence was displayed. It was determined, by the Judge, that the WIAA followed the rules. At that point the representatives for the ones asking for the injunction decided to not pursue it any farther. That does not preclude that individuals involved from taking it farther if they choose.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

padre

Quote from: woody53 on February 22, 2017, 05:57:35 PM
Don't know what you are getting at Aaron, Both sides were allowed to present themselves to a Judge last week. After all evidence was displayed. It was determined, by the Judge, that the WIAA followed the rules. At that point the representatives for the ones asking for the injunction decided to not pursue it any farther. That does not preclude that individuals involved from taking it farther if they choose.

That had to have happened awful quickly. I know they were trying to get an injunction Friday after the appeal decision and then heard they didn't get one a few hours later.

The WIAA left little time from their first declaration they couldn't wrestle and continued with another Friday morning appeal which left almost no time on the clock.

Just a question Woody...I get the rule was broken...but do you feel there was coincidence that it was reported the morning after the final dual. While it wasn't an infraction on number of duals do you believe it is possible someone caught it and didn't report it until it was too late to do anything?

Army Ant

The rules are the rules and they generally include protocol for enforcement. Maybe this is an opportunity to change how those rules are enforced but I have a feeling that some of the people that are criticizing the WIAA for enforcing the rules would do the exact same thing the WIAA did if their jobs were actually on the line.

aarons23

I'm just trying to understand this hearing....what was actually asked for, presented, decided and why?  Where did you find this information at?
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

woody53

Quote from: Army Ant on February 22, 2017, 06:08:42 PM
The rules are the rules and they generally include protocol for enforcement. Maybe this is an opportunity to change how those rules are enforced but I have a feeling that some of the people that are criticizing the WIAA for enforcing the rules would do the exact same thing the WIAA did if their jobs were actually on the line.
As people do on here, +1

woody53

Quote from: aarons23 on February 22, 2017, 06:09:20 PM

I'm just trying to understand this hearing....what was actually asked for, presented, decided and why?  Where did you find this information at?
I was part of a discussion with the WIAA today for the State Tournament

3wrestle

Quote from: woody53 on February 22, 2017, 05:03:59 PM
You do know that this went before a Judge, right. And he decided the out come. The WIAA followed the rules.

It's unfortunate that it ever came to that!
What would have been the right thing - would have been the school in the area that took notice of the error would have told De Pere staff of the mistake they were about to make so the infraction would never have happened and the wrestlers would not be paying the price for the coach and AD's mistake.

onwisconsin

The worst part of the WIAA's handling of this decision is they allowed De Pere to wrestle at regionals.  They had all the information in Wade Labecki's office to make the current decision.  They did not get new information the week of sectionals. They were just told by Kaukauna coaches how to interpret (where to look on Track Wrestling) the info they had at their fingertips.  Debatable in the future is whether this is a good rule or not (meets/tourneys vs. total individual matches).  

I strongly feel once the initial decision was made, that should have been the end of it.  Wade Labecki's comments should have been ... "I made a decision before regionals, I was wrong, but I have to stand by the decision made".  

De Pere students shouldn't have been pulled out of the tournament once they competed at Regionals because someone at the WIAA didn't know how to do their job. (Referees make mistakes ... do they go back and correct them after a match is complete). This not only affected De Pere kids, but I know of one kid that would likely be at Madison right now.  Evan Frisque would have stayed at 160 if he knew Trevor Turriff was not in regionals.   He cuts to 152 and then doesn't qualify ... so not only the did mishandling of this decision (even if they got the decision right) wrongly affect De Pere kids, it affected kids from other schools as well.

Shame on the WIAA.

wraslfan

Quote from: woody53 on February 22, 2017, 06:15:05 PM
Quote from: aarons23 on February 22, 2017, 06:09:20 PM

I was part of a discussion with the WIAA today for the State Tournament
And you offer as much detail as the WIAA does.  ::)

Full Nelson

Quote from: onwisconsin on February 22, 2017, 06:33:22 PM
The worst part of the WIAA's handling of this decision is they allowed De Pere to wrestle at regionals.  They had all the information in Wade Labecki's office to make the current decision.  They did not get new information the week of sectionals. They were just told by Kaukauna coaches how to interpret (where to look on Track Wrestling) the info they had at their fingertips.  Debatable in the future is whether this is a good rule or not (meets/tourneys vs. total individual matches).  

I strongly feel once the initial decision was made, that should have been the end of it.  Wade Labecki's comments should have been ... "I made a decision before regionals, I was wrong, but I have to stand by the decision made".  

De Pere students shouldn't have been pulled out of the tournament once they competed at Regionals because someone at the WIAA didn't know how to do their job. (Referees make mistakes ... do they go back and correct them after a match is complete). This not only affected De Pere kids, but I know of one kid that would likely be at Madison right now.  Evan Frisque would have stayed at 160 if he knew Trevor Turriff was not in regionals.   He cuts to 152 and then doesn't qualify ... so not only the did mishandling of this decision (even if they got the decision right) wrongly affect De Pere kids, it affected kids from other schools as well.

Shame on the WIAA.
+1

Don't cross your legs!

onwisconsin

Yes, as a sign of good sportmanship, the school (Pulaski) that informed De Pere they were out of compliance, could have easily informed De Pere any time prior to the morning after their last dual.   However ... they chose not to do the right thing.  Helped them get a 106 pounder to state ... so they are probably proud of themselves.

woody53

Quote from: onwisconsin on February 22, 2017, 06:38:40 PM
Yes, as a sign of good sportmanship, the school (Pulaski) that informed De Pere they were out of compliance, could have easily informed De Pere any time prior to the morning after their last dual.   However ... they chose not to do the right thing.  Helped them get a 106 pounder to state ... so they are probably proud of themselves.

Well from your last post to this one. You blame the WIAA first, then you blame a school for reporting. Which is it?

woody53

Full Nelson. Where did you get Labecki's quote?

wraslfan

Quote from: woody53 on February 22, 2017, 06:11:03 PM
Quote from: Army Ant on February 22, 2017, 06:08:42 PM
As people do on here, +1
In the real world, people don't have their careers ended, or get fired for working 6 or 12 minutes of overtime that they self report. (That is a perfect real world equivalent of this infraction) So yes, I would have voted to allow the kids to wrestle and proudly stood behind my decision and defended it to whoever I had to answer to. (Which for the WIAA is no one) How anyone can defend this decision is beyond me, but to each his own.