Still Undefeated...

Started by rankingcommittee, January 03, 2019, 12:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachZ

Quote from: factfinder on January 06, 2019, 09:34:24 PM
Quote from: CoachZ on January 06, 2019, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: factfinder on January 06, 2019, 09:21:25 PM
This is why State needs to be seated and reward kids and teams with challenging schedules. We need to get off this undefeated kick and focused on titles, I personally respect wrestlers with 10-30 losses but also own some state and national titles way way more then a great record with out a title.
Seed based on head to head match ups and seeding criteria like they do at real tournaments like the Cheese Head and ect. Its bad enough that the stupid decent plan (that has kids yo-yoing even more then if it dint exist) eliminates great head to head match ups, but threads like this push kids in to protecting there records more then stepping up to the challenge.  We are getting away from what makes wrestling the greatest sport ever!!!

Can some one start a thread on head to head match ups especially if one of the athletes cut or bumped up for hard competition!! cutting and bumping I think are equally challenging when it comes to face to face competition. I remember when we talked about huge match ups and dedication and now it about records. oh well...   

Soooo....kids that are undefeated don't wrestle tough schedules? absolutely "some" don't, there are several community's that shy away from challenges. I was very impressed that Fennimore entered the Cheese Head while some other D3 power house program's declined the invite.   Obviously a lot of undefeated wrestlers have challenging schedules as well but I stand by my point not every schedule is built the same.

Coaches and AD's set the schedule, not the kids. So you're a little off when you say "push kids into protecting records". It's really out of their hands. That said, I agree with you that a tougher season schedule helps you in the long run. In 5 or 10 years is anyone really going to care if such and such team declined the Cheesehead? Probably not. Credit to the teams that go to those tough ones though.

factfinder

Quote from: CoachZ on January 06, 2019, 09:43:36 PM
Quote from: factfinder on January 06, 2019, 09:34:24 PM
Quote from: CoachZ on January 06, 2019, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: factfinder on January 06, 2019, 09:21:25 PM
This is why State needs to be seated and reward kids and teams with challenging schedules. We need to get off this undefeated kick and focused on titles, I personally respect wrestlers with 10-30 losses but also own some state and national titles way way more then a great record with out a title.
Seed based on head to head match ups and seeding criteria like they do at real tournaments like the Cheese Head and ect. Its bad enough that the stupid decent plan (that has kids yo-yoing even more then if it dint exist) eliminates great head to head match ups, but threads like this push kids in to protecting there records more then stepping up to the challenge.  We are getting away from what makes wrestling the greatest sport ever!!!

Can some one start a thread on head to head match ups especially if one of the athletes cut or bumped up for hard competition!! cutting and bumping I think are equally challenging when it comes to face to face competition. I remember when we talked about huge match ups and dedication and now it about records. oh well...   

Soooo....kids that are undefeated don't wrestle tough schedules? absolutely "some" don't, there are several community's that shy away from challenges. I was very impressed that Fennimore entered the Cheese Head while some other D3 power house program's declined the invite.   Obviously a lot of undefeated wrestlers have challenging schedules as well but I stand by my point not every schedule is built the same.

Coaches and AD's set the schedule, not the kids. So you're a little off when you say "push kids into protecting records". It's really out of their hands. That said, I agree with you that a tougher season schedule helps you in the long run. In 5 or 10 years is anyone really going to care if such and such team declined the Cheesehead? Probably not. Credit to the teams that go to those tough ones though.

100%, the kids have no control in there schedule, that's why I said their are "community's" that shy away from tough competition. I have also witnessed kids and coaches duck tough match ups when they present themselves.

handsandtoes

Funny talking about kids not wrestling tough kids is brought up on here. Hey factfinder When you said kids don't wrestle tough kids anymore did you mean at dual meet tournaments? I believe I witnessed it first hand this past weekend when we had a very good wrestler itching for this match and low and behold once the other team had enough team points to secure the win the young man from the winning team seemed to now be hurt and could not wrestle? The match before that he beat a very highly ranked kid so what does he get to hang his hat on now? If you're basing seeding on competition he can say He beat the number 2 ranked wrestler in the state. The part that gets left out is he didn't wrestle the number 3 and number 1 the next 2 matches.So still has a great record and some beef to go with it. 

Ghetto

Scheduling isn't as simple as it may seem. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but it is a team schedule and that may not work out for everyone on the team. If you have a strong team, you can get into the Cheesehead, etc. If you have a strong individual, that isn't always the case.

We have always tried to enter scramble tournaments to give all kids the best matches they can possibly get. Teams don't always want our team with 3 wrestlers, so we have to look for alternatives.

Just some perspective.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

buc65

Quote from: Ghetto on January 07, 2019, 11:03:41 AM
Scheduling isn't as simple as it may seem. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but it is a team schedule and that may not work out for everyone on the team. If you have a strong team, you can get into the Cheesehead, etc. If you have a strong individual, that isn't always the case.

We have always tried to enter scramble tournaments to give all kids the best matches they can possibly get. Teams don't always want our team with 3 wrestlers, so we have to look for alternatives.

Just some perspective.

Any insight into why Johnson didn't bump up and wrestle Keckeisen in the dual last week?  That would have been a great match.

CoachZ

Zschernitz and Gaffey at 285 should meet up this Saturday at SCF.

Houndhead

I thought Ethan Heil #220 of Edgar was still undefeated, but i have seen him listed in recent results.

Houndhead

Sam Mitchell and Stephon Buchanon should meet at the Sparta Invite this weekend.

Ghetto

Quote from: buc65 on January 07, 2019, 02:46:29 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on January 07, 2019, 11:03:41 AM

Just some perspective.

Any insight into why Johnson didn't bump up and wrestle Keckeisen in the dual last week?  That would have been a great match.

Neither kid wanted to wrestle that match. They practice together often at club.

bkraus

Didn't Bailey injury default last weekend at Brookfield Central?
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

Quote from: bkraus on January 17, 2019, 09:20:46 AM
Didn't Bailey injury default last weekend at Brookfield Central?

Yes

scfcat

Brown is also in a meat grinder of a bracket Saturday in Scf.

mhsfan2

Quote from: Houndhead on January 17, 2019, 07:23:01 AM
Sam Mitchell and Stephon Buchanon should meet at the Sparta Invite this weekend.
One of them will have to beat Tyler Hannah-Viroqua.Hannah lost a close one to Mitchell at Bi State.

Houndhead

Quote from: mhsfan2 on January 17, 2019, 11:08:04 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on January 17, 2019, 07:23:01 AM
One of them will have to beat Tyler Hannah-Viroqua.Hannah lost a close one to Mitchell at Bi State.

I didn't notice that Viroqua was also there, makes for an awesome #195 bracket.

shift

I dunno how that works with a kids record but when Bailey got injured he finished the match and won, but then had to forfeit out of the rest of the tourney...  SO technically never injury defaulted.