Pulaski tournament 1-30-2016

Started by beswres00, January 22, 2016, 08:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jw52

Why would anyone think it's a good idea to go back to a single division in wrestling? We have 7 divisions in football and aren't there more than 3 in basketball?

matman

Foose4... I understand your point. I just feel ALL individual sports are an even playing field for anyone, so it makes sense for everyone to compete together. Either way is fine to me, just I currently wrestle in college and have a close friend/teammate from California and he always talks about how the biggest state in the country has "one division". It sounds like its an awesome tournament, and works out well for them. Not taking anything away from our division setup. Its awesome seeing three state champs being rewarded for hard work. Either way the tournament series will always be an awesome time of year! I don't think its a selfish opinion really by any means, just an honest opinion on my behalf after coming through the Wisconsin Wrestling circuit recently. I just feel like it'd help increase the level of wrestling in the state. But I feel its an unreasonable track to take anyway, it'd potentialy make a mess out of the qualifing series. And like the old saying goes "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." And currently our tournament series is far from broke! Jmo... But like you said, let's buckle up for these next five weeks!

henry33

Quote from: foose4 on February 01, 2016, 09:03:33 PM
Quote from: matman on February 01, 2016, 08:44:40 PM
Ramjet, I was thinking a large individual bracket at state, double elimination, maybe like a 32 man bracket? I really didn't think much into it, just threw the idea out there. Then for team state three divisions, the same setup as now. But I guess trouble would arise with qualifying for it since the regionals and sectionals leading up to individual state would be all one division.
Why do some people in wrestling think we should live by separate rules than other sports? You can talk about how you want it to be, but I just don't understand why some think we should have one individual tournament. Should they do the same for track and field, tennis, cross country, those are all individual sports so if we merge one let's merge them all.

Actually those that bring this up to me are being selfish and think the tournament series is about them, but it's not and never will be, it's about the kids (I am sure someone will come back and say the WIAA doesn't care, just wants money).  Does having 3 state champs a year really make it a bad thing? I personally think it's great.

Now also to those that will say "fine...trophies for all". Yeah get over yourselves before you post it, that's not what people mean when they say more chances are better.

Now off my soapbox. Lets talk positives about the next 5 weeks and enjoy them.for what they are.

henry33

2 divisions and 14 weights!  Have some of the smaller schools co-op...

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: matman on February 01, 2016, 11:07:18 PM
Foose4... I understand your point. I just feel ALL individual sports are an even playing field for anyone, so it makes sense for everyone to compete together. Either way is fine to me, just I currently wrestle in college and have a close friend/teammate from California and he always talks about how the biggest state in the country has "one division". It sounds like its an awesome tournament, and works out well for them. Not taking anything away from our division setup. Its awesome seeing three state champs being rewarded for hard work. Either way the tournament series will always be an awesome time of year! I don't think its a selfish opinion really by any means, just an honest opinion on my behalf after coming through the Wisconsin Wrestling circuit recently. I just feel like it'd help increase the level of wrestling in the state. But I feel its an unreasonable track to take anyway, it'd potentialy make a mess out of the qualifing series. And like the old saying goes "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." And currently our tournament series is far from broke! Jmo... But like you said, let's buckle up for these next five weeks!

Just curious to think why this " I just feel like it'd help increase the level of wrestling in the state" by going to a 1 division state tournament

dozer

Quote from: matman on February 01, 2016, 11:07:18 PM

I'd like to see them take the top 4 from each weight class at all three divisions and put together a tournament to find out who the "top dog" really is.  I know it will never happen, but it would be fun to watch. 
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

ramjet

Ramjet, I was thinking a large individual bracket at state, double elimination, maybe like a 32 man bracket? I really didn't think much into it, just threw the idea out there. Then for team state three divisions, the same setup as now. But I guess trouble would arise with qualifying for it since the regionals and sectionals leading up to individual state would be all one division.

Been there done that. It changed for the good, State tournament is about the best Divisions are a common occurrence even at the college level. Single division that would be a step backwards. Now if you are saying another tournament taking the top 4 from each weight class in each division and doing an overall State Champion that is something that intrigues me.

Ghetto

Quote from: foose4 on February 01, 2016, 09:03:33 PM
Why do some people in wrestling think we should live by separate rules than other sports? You can talk about how you want it to be, but I just don't understand why some think we should have one individual tournament. Should they do the same for track and field, tennis, cross country, those are all individual sports so if we merge one let's merge them all.

Actually those that bring this up to me are being selfish and think the tournament series is about them, but it's not and never will be, it's about the kids (I am sure someone will come back and say the WIAA doesn't care, just wants money).  Does having 3 state champs a year really make it a bad thing? I personally think it's great.

Now also to those that will say "fine...trophies for all". Yeah get over yourselves before you post it, that's not what people mean when they say more chances are better.

Now off my soapbox. Lets talk positives about the next 5 weeks and enjoy them.for what they are.

I would be for a single division state championship if it included more kids only. And I think it could be done. I coached in California during the 90's. They bring all their divisions together for regionals (I think it was called CIF, or maybe that was their "sectional". It was a long time ago.) I'm not sure that it would bring more kids into the sport though.

The reason that wrestling is different from the other sports is that our individual tournament has no champion. Tennis, golf, and track all determine their team champion from the individual events.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

There are still 3 pole vault champions in track, they don't have a "vault off"!

bman

Quote from: bigoil on February 02, 2016, 10:11:03 PM
They actually do because an official height is posted so everyone knows who really vaulted the highest, ran the fastest etc... However, in wrestling I think if you have different divisions you run the risk of diminishing the accomplishment if you were to have a "true" state champion by wrestling them off etc.  If there are 3 divisions then have 3 champs without causing a kid who won a state championship to go home dejected because he wasn't the "real" state champion. 

bigoil

Quote from: bman on February 02, 2016, 11:51:25 PM
They actually do because an official height is posted so everyone knows who really vaulted the highest, ran the fastest etc... However, in wrestling I think if you have different divisions you run the risk of diminishing the accomplishment if you were to have a "true" state champion by wrestling them off etc.  If there are 3 divisions then have 3 champs without causing a kid who won a state championship to go home dejected because he wasn't the "real" state champion. 

No they actually don't, if you were in any race, you can't take the time and say they are the fastest. They were the fastest of those runners in that race, someone in another heat could have let up, not pushed themselves, etc. In some of the field events you can make the argument but just because someone jumps higher, another division may not have been pushed and either passed on jumps to save for other heats, etc.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: bman on February 02, 2016, 11:51:25 PM

If you have ever been to the state track meet after an individual has the event won he/she will make a substantial increase in height of the bar for multiple reason (School records, PR, State records) making it nearly impossible to claim one division is better then the other, same thing with throwers and jumpers. Also not all divisions compete at same time or even same day so weather conditions come into play. don't buy the true State champ in Track and Field and yes I have coached at the State meet

bman

My point was obviously lost... My point is,  "if you have different divisions you run the risk of diminishing the accomplishment if you were to have a "true" state champion by wrestling them off etc.  If there are 3 divisions then have 3 champs without causing a kid who won a state championship to go home dejected because he wasn't the "real" state champion."