Robert Lee - Flo Nationals

Started by madeyson, April 05, 2014, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Quote from: Jim Rockford on April 10, 2014, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: billymurphy on April 08, 2014, 10:11:10 PM
I am just as impressed that Lee traveled to Pennsylvania rather than going to the close by tournament in Iowa.  T

I would say Flo Nationals has a tougher tournament then what Cedar Falls had this year

Really?  How can you possibly say that?

Jim Rockford

Quote from: leg turk on April 10, 2014, 02:28:18 PM
Quote from: Jim Rockford on April 10, 2014, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: billymurphy on April 08, 2014, 10:11:10 PM
I am just as impressed that Lee traveled to Pennsylvania rather than going to the close by tournament in Iowa.  

I would say Flo Nationals has a tougher tournament then what Cedar Falls had this year

Really?  How can you possibly say that?

Look at all the brackets and that's how you can tell.  A lot of tough competition from all over.  Flo Nationals is one of the best tournaments around.  They bring in all of the top guys from around the country year in and year out.    

Greco

Flo Nationals    USAW Nationals
Elem/MS 278Kids      994
HS         668CA/JR 1,259
           946    2,253

Jim Rockford

Quote from: Greco on April 10, 2014, 03:15:08 PM

Flo Nationals    USAW Nationals
Elem/MS 278Kids      994
HS         668CA/JR 1,259
          946    2,253

Yeah lower amount of numbers since Folkstyle Nationals has been around longer.  Please tell me how many AA's has Wisconsin had at Flonationals since it has been around?  Just because one had more numbers doesn't mean it is tougher.  It started in 2010 and Wisconsin has sent quite a few kids there but to my knowledge we have had 3-5 aa's there none have won it.  They also put all High School kids together so there is no cadet and Juniors.  Everyone wrestles in the same division.  So yeah I would say that Flo Nationals is a tougher Tournament then Folkstyle Nationals.

Greco

Settle down Jim. I'm just providing the numbers here for the Rockford Files.
Here are some more...

Distance from the edge of Wisconsin:
USAW Folkstyle Nationals - 1.5 hour drive
Flonationals - 9 hours

Jim Rockford

Quote from: Greco on April 10, 2014, 03:38:09 PM
Settle down Jim. I'm just providing the numbers here for the Rockford Files.
Here are some more...

Distance from the edge of Wisconsin:
USAW Folkstyle Nationals - 1.5 hour drive
Flonationals - 9 hours

I am fully aware of the numbers and the hours of the drives which has nothing to do with what my original comment it, which said Flo is tougher.  We have had 7 AA's at FloNationals and those were the studs that have come out of our state.  We also have had other studs not place out there as well.  All I am saying is the drive and the numbers have nothing to do with how tough a tournament is.  http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251144-2014-FloNationals/article/25590-FloNationals-History-and-2014-Registration#.U0cAQ_ldWSo.  I am not trying to be irrational here.  I am stating all of this to leg turk to prove how I can possibly that Flo is tougher.

Greco

I am sure that you are very proud of whomever you are defending. I just wanted to post the numbers to consider because it is a fact that when the two tournaments are the same weekend, not everyone will justify driving 7 hours further for what appears to be a smaller tournament.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for competition among businesses. That's what keeps them from becoming complacent. I am also a big fan of the Lees. I hope that USAW looks at Flonationals and strives to become even better because of its presence.

On a side note: it was cool to watch the NCAA D1 title at 157 pounds this year between Dieringer and Ness. It was a repeat of 2010 USAW Folkstyle Nationals in the Junior 145 bracket. Alex dominated more this year though. Some tough guys do wrestle at the USAW Nationals.

billymurphy

Lee is now on the radar of the coaches on the east coast.  He performed well at the tournament.
I would call it a good trip.  If he was not ranked prior to this tournament, now he will be.

wrestlinglife1

He is now ranked at 132 due to this tournament.  I can say this, we have done USAW events every year as far back as I can remember, flo was a different animal.  Awesome atmosphere.  Only Robert Lee and Devin Peterson have ever made the finals.  Many of our high school state champs have gone out there and have been eliminated in first couple of rounds. It all depends on who is in your bracket wherever you are.

Badger_Fan

Flo is tougher - Pennsylvania wrestlers + college rules make it better.  Watch the interviews on Flo of all the college coaches attending Flo - nothing but rave reviews of the rules and competition. 

littleguy301

Quote from: Badger_Fan on April 10, 2014, 05:54:15 PM
Flo is tougher - Pennsylvania wrestlers + college rules make it better.  Watch the interviews on Flo of all the college coaches attending Flo - nothing but rave reviews of the rules and competition. 

Havent you have better things to do besides watch wrestling ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think that there is a shift of were colleges rate their high school tournies.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

billymurphy

What place did Devin Peterson get?  Seems like one year he was expected to make the finals and wrestle a kid named Morgan McIntosh but Devin got beat in the semi finals so the match did not happen.

littleguy301

Quote from: futurerichguy on April 11, 2014, 08:22:12 AM
Pretty sure Devin lost to a kid named Gabe Dean by one point and ended up taking 3rd.

Devin wrestled some horses on the national level. Watched a couple do well this year in college.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Jim Rockford

Badger_Fan

Quote from: littleguy301 on April 10, 2014, 08:53:13 PM
Quote from: Badger_Fan on April 10, 2014, 05:54:15 PM

Havent you have better things to do besides watch wrestling ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think that there is a shift of were colleges rate their high school tournies.

I wasn't aware there were other things besides wrestling ....