Over-competing: The Real Reason You Aren't Successful (article)

Started by Kevin Black, April 10, 2014, 01:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Black

Isaiah 26:8

littleguy301

While I think they are trying to make over competing and over training 2 seperate things they did combine them in the story to blur it a tad.

I believe there is to much stress put on the words of WIN and LOSE and not enough on effort and development.

While I have no problem with good competition it should also monitored but the level of your athlete also. When I say good competition I am also talking about good competition in the practice room also. Nothing wrong with letting your athletes get after it but as a coach/parent you have to remember the age and the ability of those athletes competing.

Look at the college level and the NCAA in wrestling. You see the records and you see guys coming in with 20-25 matches under there belt for the season and they are taped from head to toe and I am sure they have nagging injuries to boot. I also doubt that those wrestlers had an easy match all year.

With the high school level if you see 20-25 matches at state time the first thing you think of is injuries. Also I dont see the taping and injuries that you have in college but also the competition is way different and such.

I still like to see less matches but that is just me, keep it fun and make those matches mean more or a outlet of just practicing.

Also I was told by someone, you wrestle matches in duals and tournaments to see what you need to work on in the practice room.

Nice article Kevin, you seem to be on to something and keep them coming, good reads.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet