Previous topic - Next topic

benaskren

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

OneEyedFatMan

Ben, it would be a smart move....but, as you know....its really, really tough to retire from competition when you aren't ready.

I do agree, though, that David Taylor is a good bet to be the next great college coach.

What's stopping you though?   8)   This MMA bit is a dangerous thing, and a healthy brain/body is a one time gift.

Steve Ensor
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

benaskren

At this point there are only 2 places I would take the Head Job at.

A couple years back a smaller D.1 made me the offer to be a head coach, I said I would do it, but then a lot of things fell through so I ended up moving to Wisconsin to help Coach Mesenbrink run the AWA system and continue my MMA Career. 

At this point I am enjoying the academies so much I would have to be made a good offer by a school I really wanted to be at in order to go back to the college wrestling world.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

dman

I hope WI is one of those places Ben?!?!   :)

Troy Grindle

Ben,

Great write up!  The slide for Iowa I think has been noticed by many.  The style has changed to a grind it out/not to lose instead of the old way of attack, attack, attack.  Where are the days of when Gable would be yelling at the ref to hit the Iowa guy for stalling because he was so pissed at his wrestler for stalling? 

The one thing I noticed more than anything watching the ncaa finals was when Taylor and Ruth won their finals match Cael just smiled and didn't really even get up from his chair.  Because he expected them to win.  When Ramos won Brands was going crazy.  Granted the Ramos match was exciting and Taylor and Ruth dominated but it was just a difference on that it seemed that Cael expected that they would win because they had already earned it in the wrestling room.  Didn't Brands expect Ramos to win?  Ramos had won the last four meetings in a row against Graff. 

Unfortunately Ramos style has become the new "Iowa way" of wrestling.

If Zalesky got fired for his performance as Iowa's head coach than certainly Brands would have to go with his performance during his tenure.
And then there was that.

buc65

Quote from: Troy Grindle on March 25, 2014, 09:48:12 PM

If Zalesky got fired for his performance as Iowa's head coach than certainly Brands would have to go with his performance during his tenure.

Zalesky - 7 seasons - 98-06 - 3 NCAA and 3 big ten titles, 127-34 dual record, 2 NCAA runner-ups, also finished 7th and 8th at NCAA tournament, 10 NCAA individual champs, 45 All-Americans

Brands - 8 seasons - 07-14 - 3 NCAA and big ten titles, 146-15-1 dual record, finished 8th at NCAA in 1st season as coach, 7 straight top 4 finishes, 9 NCAA individual champs, 43 All-Americans

The numbers look very similar. Zalesky's 3 titles were his first three years after replacing Gable. Iowa had won 3 straight titles and 6 of 7 before Zalesky took over. Brands won 3 straight titles from 08-10 after "rebuilding" what Zalesky left him (a team coming off a 4th place NCAA finish).

billymurphy

There were circumstances to the firing of Zalesky and hiring of Brands that
go beyond wins and losses.  That was the year Cael was hired at Iowa State.
Iowa's attendance figures were dropping under Zalesky. Iowa hired
Brands and Brands inherited a pretty lousy team in his first year.  Good choice to hire Brands though,
as bringing Metcalf to Iowa was a giant shot in the arm for the program.

Penn State and Minnesota were extremely good this year and
have set the bar very high and Ohio State will do the same next season.
Don't expect Iowa to lay down dead though.

Handles II

Brands benefited from 4 years of "dual recruitment" with metcalf being the posterboy. So I'd say it's a wash in what each recieved when they took over. Zalesky got fired because he lost some good recruits to other teams, failed to win NCAA's to the level expected by the iowa faithful. Brands is in that exact same position. The difference is that many believe the intensity of Brands equates to better coaching or more effort than did the relative calm of Zalesky. That is obviously an emotional factor, and not in any way related to the actual ability to coach or motivate their wrestlers. Beyond the win of Ramos, Iowa's NCAA results were pale compared to their abilities. Jumping up and down doesn't always motivate.
If firing Zalesky was needed based on his NCAA performance, then being consistant, and holding the same standards and values, Brands should be shown the door by the Iowa faithful that set that standard.

IMO, firing Zalesky was emotional and short-sighted, as would be firing Brands. 

stp

Speaking of DT.....

Recognize the other fella?
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

Troy Grindle

Quote from: stp on March 26, 2014, 10:28:46 AM
Speaking of DT.....

Recognize the other fella?

No.  Who is it?
And then there was that.

HMsDad

maggie

to remove the icon, would be very tough thing to do, but in the end Iowa would benefit from it, is there any loyalty to be had in college wrestling  theses days?....you my friend are so diversified in the world of wrestling right now that I can't believe ya can keep up...lol...   Your reasoning seems spot on tho... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

SP

Zalesky did not get fired for losing recruits. His firing was in the works as soon as Tom brands left for VT. The reasons why Jimmy got fired are not really the issue.
Some said that Jimmy won with Gables guys and to some extent he did but they were also his guys as he was part of that coaching staff to begin with.
Brands did have the benefit when he came because he brought guys from VT with him and he had Jimmy's recruits. If you look at the guys that actually wrestled for Iowa after Tom took over, you will find that most of his starters were Jimmy's recruits. Iowa was building back up at the time and had some young studs and if Iowa did not fire him when they did it would have been tough to do it later.

Does Brands deserve the same treatment? That is up for debate. If Cael reloads and has another top team next year people will start to talk even more. Penn State has had a great run and if he reloads and continues to put out championship teams the Iowa fans will get restless.

Not sure if David Taylor is the answer but it would sure make for an interesting story.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

OneEyedFatMan

Maybe Kyle Dake should cash in on his stardom before he gets the short end of the stick? ie....what have you done for me lately?

Quote from: SP on March 28, 2014, 09:09:23 AM
Zalesky did not get fired for losing recruits. His firing was in the works as soon as Tom brands left for VT. The reasons why Jimmy got fired are not really the issue.
Some said that Jimmy won with Gables guys and to some extent he did but they were also his guys as he was part of that coaching staff to begin with.
Brands did have the benefit when he came because he brought guys from VT with him and he had Jimmy's recruits. If you look at the guys that actually wrestled for Iowa after Tom took over, you will find that most of his starters were Jimmy's recruits. Iowa was building back up at the time and had some young studs and if Iowa did not fire him when they did it would have been tough to do it later.

Does Brands deserve the same treatment? That is up for debate. If Cael reloads and has another top team next year people will start to talk even more. Penn State has had a great run and if he reloads and continues to put out championship teams the Iowa fans will get restless.

Not sure if David Taylor is the answer but it would sure make for an interesting story.
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"