Div 1 Sectionals

Started by tyben, January 25, 2021, 10:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyben

Quick look at Div 1 Sectionals and a breakdown of where teams are and who has the best chance to make it to state as a team.  What are your picks?

Sectional A teams at Wausau East 6 of 29 ranked/HM teams:
#3 Holmen
#8 Bay Port
#10 DC Everest
HM Hudson
HM Marshfield
HM Wis Rapids

Sectional B teams at Hartford Union 7 of 28 teams ranked/HM teams:
#1 Kaukauna
#5 Slinger
#6 Kimberly
#7 Neenah
#12 West Bend East
HM Hortonville
HM Oshkosh West

Sectional C teams at Mukwaonago 4 of 28 teams ranked
#2 Stoughton
#4 Mukwonago
#9 Arrowhead
#11 Waunakee

Sectional D at Brookfield East 0 of 28 teams ranked/HM

Armdrag

crazy thing is in sectional B 5 of those 7 teams are in the same conference

DocWrestling

Do we know what sectionals are matched up against each other at state?  Basically one team is going to win a sectional on individual team points and get placed in the state championship.   That is assuming an easy semifinal dual against Brookfield East sectional winner.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 25, 2021, 11:01:01 AM
Do we know what sectionals are matched up against each other at state?  Basically one team is going to win a sectional on individual team points and get placed in the state championship.   That is assuming an easy semifinal dual against Brookfield East sectional winner.
The team state tournament is seeded.

tyben

So can two teams from the same sectional wrestle each other first round at team state if they are the 7 and 8 seeds?

Armdrag

7 and 8 seeds would wrestle the 2 and 1 seed respectively.................for two teams to wrestle each other from same sectional first round  they would have to be the 4 and 5 seeds

1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

DocWrestling

Lost my mind there.  ;D  First forgot that they were still bringing 8 to state and then forgot it is seeded now.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

NoFooForU

With only the top 2 from Regionals advancing to Sectionals, it is even more important this year to advance kids to Sectionals.  Typically, a deep team would be able to benefit at Regionals with having all their kids contribute to the team points, then have a dual versus the other Regional winner.

This year, the more kids you can move to Sectionals the more possible points your team can score (and likely taking 1 of top 2 spots).  If a weight class has a lot of tough kids at Regionals... well, this is why the D2 arm-chair commentators are complaining about Sectional B/Regional 4 where you have 5 of 7 teams ranked in D2.

I would expect some surprising results at Sectionals.

tyben

Anyone else want to try to predict which teams come out of each sectional?  I'll give my picks

Sectional A teams at Wausau East 6 of 29 ranked/HM teams: I'll pick DC Everest and Holmen but wouldn't be surprised if Marshfield or Wis Rapids sneaks in. Marshfield because they have 4-6 studs that could win it and Wis Rapids because they have the potential to win 3 weights and another 3-4 placers
#3 Holmen
#8 Bay Port
#10 DC Everest
HM Hudson
HM Marshfield
HM Wis Rapids

Sectional B teams at Hartford Union 7 of 28 teams ranked/HM teams:Kaukauna and Slinger with Kimberly being one that could get in if Slinger doesn't have a good day.
#1 Kaukauna
#5 Slinger
#6 Kimberly
#7 Neenah
#12 West Bend East
HM Hortonville
HM Oshkosh West

Sectional C teams at Mukwaonago 4 of 28 teams ranked: This one is really interesting because Stoughton and Mukwonago look to be favorites but with Arrowhead having the studs they have, winning a 28 team sectional plays right into their hand.  I'll go with Stoughton and Arrowhead but wouldn't be that surprised if Mukwonago beats one or both of them.
#2 Stoughton
#4 Mukwonago
#9 Arrowhead
#11 Waunakee

Sectional D at Brookfield East 0 of 28 teams ranked/HM:  Uh, no idea really but I'll go with Waterford and Burlington

NoFooForU

Quote from: tyben on January 25, 2021, 10:20:46 AM
Quick look at Div 1 Sectionals and a breakdown of where teams are and who has the best chance to make it to state as a team.  What are your picks?

Sectional A teams at Wausau East 6 of 29 ranked/HM teams:
#3 Holmen
#8 Bay Port
#10 DC Everest
HM Hudson
HM Marshfield
HM Wis Rapids

I see River Falls making a push, they can get some extra kids through Regionals adding to team points at Sectional.  DC Everest and Shawano will get a bunch of guys through to Sectionals as well, both could outside shot depending how Sectionals get seeded.

Sectional B teams at Hartford Union 7 of 28 teams ranked/HM teams:
#1 Kaukauna
#5 Slinger
#6 Kimberly
#7 Neenah
#12 West Bend East
HM Hortonville
HM Oshkosh West

Kimberly has the bad draw to have Kaukauna in their Regionals, so they may get some kids bumped early.  Neenah will get some kids through as well as Germantown.  But, I think program depth at Slinger will help to add points at Sectional.

Sectional C teams at Mukwonago 4 of 28 teams ranked
#2 Stoughton
#4 Mukwonago

#9 Arrowhead
#11 Waunakee

No contested here.  Both programs will get kids through Regionals into Sectionals.  Adding to potential team points.  Arrowhead does have the hammers, but their lack of depth will limit their overall results.

Sectional D at Brookfield East 0 of 28 teams ranked/HM

Brookfield East
Whitnall/Greendale
Burlington
Waterford
Union Grove

Just putting some extra teams to reference.  If Burlington has all of their kids available, they are a lock for Team State.  There are so many unknowns in this Regional, but I'll take Brookfield East.  Mostly because they made it last year so they may have some depth.

I know I went mostly chalk on my picks, but some of the rankings have changed since the original post.  These teams are ranked high for a reason.  If these are my picks, here's how I see them seeded for Team State:

1. Kaukauna
2. Holman
3. Mukwonago
4. Stoughton
5. Bay Port
6. Slinger
7. Burlington
8. Brookfield East

Giving us first round matchups:

1. Kaukauna
8. Brookfield East

4. Stoughton
5. Bay Port

3. Mukwonago
6. Slinger

2. Holman
7. Burlington

After round 1:
Kaukauna vs Stoughton
Mukwonago vs Holman

Kaukauna advances.  Toss up between Mukwonago and Holman.  But, it wont matter because Kaukauna will beat ether one.

NoFooForU

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 27, 2021, 03:50:10 PM
Neenah's regional is pretty down this year, so expect them to send almost all their guys to sectionals.  So, the safe bet is Kaukauna and Neenah from that Sectional.

And it's HolmEn, not HolmAn.    ;)

duly notad

:)

DarkKnight

Also, it will matter between Holmen and muk, and I"ll pick Holmen to be team state runnerups.

NoFooForU

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 27, 2021, 03:56:05 PM
Also, it will matter between Holmen and muk, and I"ll pick Holmen to be team state runnerups.

yes, OF COURSE it will matter.  You completely missed my point, that it wont matter between Holmen or Mukwonago.  Kaukauna wins it all.  They have the strongest team, in my opinion.

DarkKnight

Quote from: NoFooForU on January 27, 2021, 03:59:21 PM
Quote from: DarkKnight on January 27, 2021, 03:56:05 PM

yes, OF COURSE it will matter.  You completely missed my point, that it wont matter between Holmen or Mukwonago.  Kaukauna wins it all.  They have the strongest team, in my opinion.

I think you missed my point. I got your point and I corrected it. Obviously KK is the huge favorite.

NoFooForU

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on January 27, 2021, 03:50:10 PM
Neenah's regional is pretty down this year, so expect them to send almost all their guys to sectionals.  So, the safe bet is Kaukauna and Neenah from that Sectional.

And it's HolmEn, not HolmAn.    ;)

I can see Neenah making it through.  I overlooked the Regional that Slinger has with West Bend East.  That will be tougher.  If Neenah does make it, I would seed them ahead of Bay Port, at #5, and put BP to #6.