When Athens was ranked 2nd in nation

Started by MarkK, March 01, 2017, 10:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkK

What an incredible team.  I found the USA wrestling Magazine that referenced their #2 ranking.  About half way through you can read the rankings

http://www.wrestlingusa.com/0-wusaonline/Vol29wusa-online93-94/4-nov15-preview/pageflip.html

It says this:

NO. 1 Stow Walsh Jesuit (Ohio)
The defending National champions.... They will wrestle Chicago Mt. Carmel the first week of the season and then go to the Midwest Classic (this must be where they wrestled against Athens.)

NO. 2 Athens (Wisconsin)
With the school enrollment at just over 200 this is a great story.  Watch the movie Hoosier4s and you will get the point.  They were 14-0 lasst year and won the state tournaments by 98 points.  They bring back their best hope for a 4x state champ in 2x champ Kraig Underwood.  Also 2x state champ Jeremy Brunke and state champs Zinkowich and Ange.  Three 5th placers are back in Stuggen, Ellenbecker and Marohl.  Could be the best team ever.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

MarkK

The next year they were ranked 18th and this is what USA wrestling said about them.

18  Athens - Wisconsin

won last five state titles and gave Walsh a run for their money last year, on of my favorite schools.  Lost some big guns but bring back enough to win state again with future four time champ Kraig Underwood and two time champ Shawn Ange, along with runner up Kevin Stuggen.  Will have problems with duals but will be hard to beat in individual.

(an obvious statement confirming their placing 2nd to Walsh in a tournament.)
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

head57

I believe Athens also saw Mt. Carmel at the Badger tournament around this time. EDIT: Nevermind. Mt. Carmel at the Badger was a few years prior to this.

Unbelievable team for a school that size. Probably a better tournament team than a dual team, but they had guys who could pin literally ANYONE. Some funk throughout that lineup.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!