at Iowa February 5, 2022

Started by TomM, January 10, 2022, 05:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onwisconsin

I think strength is the only thing Hamiti needed against Marinelli.  That is only a product of the age difference in my opinion.   

mkm13

Not  a surprising result but Marinelli had a clear edge on their feet.  I guess hard to expect much different for a true freshman wrestling against Marinelli. 

mkm13

Everything going as expected. Iowa is really good and it is at Carver.

dad 2 5

I think we closed the gap some. Lots of work needed but there were some close matches and several young guys against veteran super seniors.

onwisconsin

Quote from: dad 2 5 on February 05, 2022, 05:00:36 PM
I think we closed the gap some. Lots of work needed but there were some close matches and several young guys against veteran super seniors.

I agree.  We have routinely seen thrashings and this was not pretty, but nowhere near the worst we have seen in the past.   

We are definitely growing and I love watching it.  Kind of like watching the Packers grow under Holmgren. 

Does seem like we need to hit on all our recruits and find another Gomez in the portal.  Hoping Rowley and Bobzien end up studs.  Then Greyson as well.   Hope someone like Calhoun really develops or other recruits.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Harris

100% stand behind Austin Gomez.  Hope they find out who yelled at him and kick them out of Carver forever!  Totally unacceptable.  #teamgomez

vsmf2010

Quote from: Harris on February 05, 2022, 06:05:36 PM
100% stand behind Austin Gomez.  Hope they find out who yelled at him and kick them out of Carver forever!  Totally unacceptable.  #teamgomez

Please elaborate. I did not hear about this.

ankle pick

Quote from: vsmf2010 on February 05, 2022, 06:18:10 PM

Somebody called him a derogatory name. Uncalled for.

PAUL

I enjoyed how Gomez gave it back to the Iowa fans.  It may come back to bite him at some point as they will remember it, but confidence and swag are a part of the sport today so good for him.  Maybe it helps to continue to develop the feeling that the Badgers are no longer anybodies "b*tches", which can only be a good thing.  Iowa loses a lot and if it's in Madison next year I think it can happen.  I don't like to predict, but I could see Marinelli getting upset by a guy in red next month. 

vsmf2010

Quote from: ankle pick on February 05, 2022, 06:23:59 PM

Not surprising unfortunately. I figured that was probably it. Same thing happened to Mark Hall before the PSU dual at CH in 2019. In an interview later it is why he said he came out so aggressive and threw Kemmerer right away. He said it probably cost him the match because he did not keep his cool.

Army Ant

Quote from: onwisconsin on February 05, 2022, 03:45:57 PM
I think strength is the only thing Hamiti needed against Marinelli.  That is only a product of the age difference in my opinion.

I agree. I thought he looked pretty good. I definitely think he coukd beat him at b10 or ncaas. Has a realistic chance. Not as strong but more athletic.

Chinpin

Who heard the slur?

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Chinpin on February 06, 2022, 06:16:23 PM

Who heard the slur?

Austin and his family

head57

I haven't been able to watch the dual. I didn't record it and it didn't show up on B1G+ yesterday morning when I checked.

My dad was convinced that Hamiti would have won that match had he had more time. Was he settled in at the end a bit? Wrestled better on the mat? I didn't ask the old man to elaborate much, so I'm curious what others thought.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

onwisconsin

There was a scramble situation that Dean created at the end of the match that could have went our way.  Definitely a could have.  It does show the creativity and athleticism of Dean. 

Marinelli did a nice job wrestling his match.