Ohio State

Started by BuckyMatt, January 14, 2020, 10:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 14, 2020, 06:40:08 PM
I broke it down to 21-16 theOSU
Hope I am wrong and the Badger can win a couple of the ones I thought would go Buckeyes.

Had I known Sebastian was not going I would have had it on the head. 

npope

Speaking of Sebastian, was he in uniform and ready to go if the dual had been close or was his lack of participation never even in doubt? You know, I get that he has had a very checkered career with respect to his health, but if not using him when the dual is expected to be close is part of the strategy then he must really be fragile.

Anybody know the details on that front for the tOSU dual?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

dad 2 5

Quote from: npope on January 18, 2020, 11:12:44 AM
Speaking of Sebastian, was he in uniform and ready to go if the dual had been close or was his lack of participation never even in doubt? You know, I get that he has had a very checkered career with respect to his health, but if not using him when the dual is expected to be close is part of the strategy then he must really be fragile.

I don't know but I am guessing it was part of the "pitch count" strategy they have him on.

npope

Quote from: Luke Louison on January 18, 2020, 12:51:28 PM
Quote from: npope on January 18, 2020, 11:12:44 AM

My sense was that they made the call once they decided the dual was out of reach. No reason to risk it if winning the match doesn't affect the dual outcome.

You're right, he was all suited up and ready to go.

Thanks.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

TomM

This is the Big Ten. There is no other folkstyle league like it. It is similar to the balance in much of the NFL. Matchups mean everything, sometimes.  Outstanding wrestlers appear average. There are NO average wrestlers.

I was and am so proud of the UW team members and their effort in every match at every turn.

People can speculate. That's free.

THIS is what I/we need to remind ourselves...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

― Theodore Roosevelt
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

mike

Quote from: TomM on January 18, 2020, 03:10:14 PM
This is the Big Ten. There is no other folkstyle league like it. It is similar to the balance in much of the NFL. Matchups mean everything, sometimes.  Outstanding wrestlers appear average. There are NO average wrestlers.

I was and am so proud of the UW team members and their effort in every match at every turn.

People can speculate. That's free.

THIS is what I/we need to remind ourselves...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

― Theodore Roosevelt
Theodore Roosevelt lays it on line and goes for the win vs perennial power Ohio St

GoodGod

Say what you want but when Krattiger lost Bono punted, Sebastian was warming up before the break.

Oldtimer

I'm not going to say there was a lack of effort at all.  It seemed there was a lack of attack.  A lot of reaction to shots to try to get in crotch lift scrambles, but Ohio State was good at finishing.  I'd like to see more attack from the guys.

BB - Seemed gassed out and wrestled defensively.  Fortunately pulled it out
SG - Looked to be counting on the ref to help him.  His guy did a lot of stalling on bottom but attacked and finished on the feet.
TM - Wow... Pletcher is fast
CM - I liked his attack.  Needs work on finishing scramble situations or keeping his ankles away from the opponent on his shots.
DS - I like the kid's guts and attack.  He's going to be good.
EW - His next level up is finishing when his opponent is broke.
Krat - He is getting better and wrestling solid against the best.  Once he learns what beating these guys feels like I think he'll be top notch
TD - Just overmatched.  I understand the strategy of pitch count, but battle tested is also important.  I'm concerned that Sebas may not have seen enough action to be at his best in March.  Just my armchair QB opinion.
PC - Way overmatched
TH - Underperformed against the backup but still won.  I'd like to see him open up and get us bonus points.  He's capable.
Beware of the northern sleeper