Looking forward to next season: 2014-2015

Started by Ghetto, May 15, 2014, 10:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Ah spring, or whatever season this is... Time to look forward to next wrestling season and all its glory. Brief look back, and also forward. Disclaimer: I know nothing about the kids scene. I never know what teams, other than ours, have coming up as freshman.

Teams in order of returning points from the conference tournament.

Cedarburg- (159 returning points) Key Losses: Isbister and Seeke. Cedarburg returns darn near everyone from a year ago. They have a solid lineup of kids who at many weights will win 35+ matches. Like all teams in the North Shore, they lack depth, but their front line talent is really good. They return 5 state qualifiers. They need to find a little guy at the bottom to compete with Arrowhead for another shot at the state tournament, as Ryan will likely be too big.

Homestead- (110 returning points) Key losses: Price and Lennon. Homestead really turned it up in February. Will they be able to find that magic again next season? Gage Zupke is their returning qualifier for next season. Homestead always has great numbers, and with AWA in their back yard, they are starting to look like a different team. Seven seniors return.

Port Washington- (99 returning points) Key losses: Rosado and Lueck. Losing four consecutive weights in a row is going to make things difficult for Port. Their goals aren't usually aimed at the conference tournament, but they are going to have to make magic to compete with Cedarburg next season, unless the kids club has a boat load of kids coming up. Zach Smith is a returning state place winner, and Preston Makoutz has been active this off-season.

Milwaukee Lutheran- (89.5 returning points) Key loss: Riederer. These guys turned in the most shocking result of last year's tournament. The best returning wrestler is Logan Moody. They'll be hard pressed to repeat a top half finish.

Bay- (88.5 returning points) Key losses: None. I'll just say it. We were horrible at conference last year. It's that simple. When other teams were bringing their A game, we were not. We will be better in 2015. We return 9 seniors.

Germantown- (84 returning points) Key loss: Higgenbotham. Zack Szohr is one of my favorite kids to watch. He's no longer going to be an undersized 106 pounder, so it will be nice for him if he can get back down there one more time. Waymon McNeal has big upside, and they return a ton of kids for a nice junior class. I think Landon Valenta will surprise some kids and be a 25 match winner this season.

Nicolet- (53 returning points) Key loss: Jack Kalloch. Nicolet is in a rebuilding stage at this point. Kalloch making the state tournament could be a nice lift for their program, which is a few years away. I like Adam Plotkin's drive and work ethic. Hope he can turn that work into wins.

Grafton- (43 returning points) Key losses: Alex Marshall and Gary Ross. Arturo Duran has been super active in the off-season, which is nice. He won 30+ matches last year, and could be at 106 again next season.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Drivingforce

Any word on Port's Brandon Fleischmann? Is he coming back or did he transfer? Just curious as he had a lot of talent.

aarons23

Ports has some transfers that will make a difference.....heck even the a Cedarburg coach bought a house in Port. ;D ;D
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

EIUwrestler1

that's just part of our under ground railroad, setting up shop in your back yard!  ;D

EIUwrestler1

Here are my thoughts on the group of 8th graders and next years NSC teams

Grafton- Another Duran coming up, they could be back to back next year, Grafton has more kids than Cedarburg working out this summer at AWA.  They look to be young and a couple years away.  They are doing all the right things at the youth level, it will just take some time to pay off.

Nicolet- at least one tough kid moving up that should be varsity ready IMO. A two time youth placer that should push some of the better kids in the conference.  You cant go to a youth tournament without seeing a bunch of little tough Nicolet kids running around.  In a few years that will pay off.

Germantown- they might have 84 returning kids.  Szohr will have to cut to make 106 this year, they were real young last year too, everyone will be a year older and a year better

Bay- 9 seniors, Fergus wrestling everywhere, Ghetto sending cars full down to Ill to wrestle FS/ Greco. I think they will be better, need to work on their numbers.

Milwaukee Lutheran- I don't get to see them much, so I don't have much to say.

Port- They lost a Rosado and I think they get a Rosado.  Impossible to replace a state champ, but I have never seen a Rosado that wasn't tough.  They will have another youth state placer coming in, but he will be at an upper class weight class, will have to see how he fits in.  One of the Moellers has been living at AWA as well, along with Makoutz and Smith.  Port will be tough again as always.

Homestead- They got healthy last year and their kids have been working hard all summer ,  They should do well again this year, The full line up is sacred and they always have good numbers, with 7 seniors they should be good.

Cedarburg- Our 8th grade class has good numbers and is very athletic, they have all been wrestling at least 3 years, we should reload OK and have a full line up for the first time in a long time.  We should also have a good sized JV squad as well.  We  have that big group of kids that will be seniors, if we can stay healthy and stay spread out with the weights, we were lucky that way last year, we should do OK again.

Just my thoughts, I haven't seen everyone coming up.  Fire away

Drivingforce

Still waiting for an answer on B. Fleischmann. aarons? moels? The young man was tough. Any word. At all?

Ghetto

Quote from: aarons23 on May 19, 2014, 08:16:27 AM
Ports has some transfers that will make a difference.....heck even the a Cedarburg coach bought a house in Port. ;D ;D

Dude shoulda moved to Bay. Highest ACT scores in the state for like the 20th year in a row.

Ghetto

We have some nice kids coming up from the middle school this year. I think two of them will have a shot at being in the varsity lineup from time to time. If I could ever coerce a heavyweight to come out, we'd have a shot at a full lineup.

With two kids graduating, we feel pretty good about where we are. After doing absolutely nothing as a team in the off-season last year, we have made some nice strides from the end of the season until now. We had a large group go to Illinois, and have a nice group going to the Hartford Duals in June. Barring injury this will be the most balanced team we've ever had. I don't know if we have the name stars we had a few years ago, but we'll be a better dual team than we have been. We'll see if we have enough to be in the top two or three in the conference.

Ghetto

So Port has some transfers huh?

Totally baseless speculation.... Ozaukee is looking for a head coach, so maybe they are from there. They had a nice 106 pounder, which would help out for sure.

Germantown had a nice group at the Hartford duals, along with a few Cedarburg kids in the mix as well.

I heard Justin Folley is moving. Maybe he'll move right down the road to WFB from Riverside. Man, a state place winner in the middle of our lineup would really make us tough there. I also heard another kid from Riverside (Chatman?) is also moving. With 10 seniors, and those two guys.... I'd like our chances with that lineup.

aarons23

Quote from: Ghetto on June 30, 2014, 10:48:31 AM
So Port has some transfers huh?

Totally baseless speculation.... Ozaukee is looking for a head coach, so maybe they are from there. They had a nice 106 pounder, which would help out for sure.

Germantown had a nice group at the Hartford duals, along with a few Cedarburg kids in the mix as well.

I heard Justin Folley is moving. Maybe he'll move right down the road to WFB from Riverside. Man, a state place winner in the middle of our lineup would really make us tough there. I also heard another kid from Riverside (Chatman?) is also moving. With 10 seniors, and those two guys.... I'd like our chances with that lineup.

Justin Folley moved to Wauwatosa West.  Was hoping for Port....but a good family decision.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Ghetto

Nothing gets by you.

I knew he was going to Tosa. Just made our chances at winning a regional title a little harder, but hey, we like to be challenged.

Man we'd have been pretty tough with those two kids in the lineup. I wish I would have known they were contemplating moving. I'd have extolled the virtues of living in Bay.

aarons23

We tried to put him up by us!  Even gave a job for the summer.  He truly is a great kid....fun to be around.  Tosa got a good one.

It's very strenuous! 

padre

Quote from: Ghetto on July 01, 2014, 01:26:49 PM
Nothing gets by you.

I knew he was going to Tosa. Just made our chances at winning a regional title a little harder, but hey, we like to be challenged.

Man we'd have been pretty tough with those two kids in the lineup. I wish I would have known they were contemplating moving. I'd have extolled the virtues of living in Bay.

Maybe an On the Water plaque this year?

Ghetto

We'd have to wrestle out of our minds to be top 8? At OTW. I think it is top 8 that officially places.

I think we have probably 6 kids who can place at OTW this year. There are two kids in our program who are going to go from nobody to 25-30 match winners this year. Whether they translate that into anything at OTW I just can't tell. Placing the year before is so important for seeding.

padre

Quote from: Ghetto on July 03, 2014, 08:32:55 AM
We'd have to wrestle out of our minds to be top 8? At OTW. I think it is top 8 that officially places.

I think we have probably 6 kids who can place at OTW this year. There are two kids in our program who are going to go from nobody to 25-30 match winners this year. Whether they translate that into anything at OTW I just can't tell. Placing the year before is so important for seeding.

Yep...highly important.  Coleman, Cedarburg and Random Lake return a lot...we will be decent with 6 placers coming back...doubt we challenge for title but top 8 would be good.