Skill levels at tourneys

Started by briggs, February 09, 2016, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jzelinski

Having skill level posted on the brackets not a bad idea. You can go on track and check what they signed up as if you want already, just have to brave the quest wifi everyone is using or walk out of the gm so your phone gets a signal. But you can find it.

DocWrestling

On trackwrestling you can pick whatever goes on the bracket with the name.

Most default to name and city/club, others name, team, record, grade, etc

You can pick what you want.  Would be easy for tourney director to change default template to add "criteria"
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ChargerDad

As previously stated, some tournaments don't do as good as a job as others at honoring the skill level put down..  But a lot of parents seem to place way too much importance on winning a local weekend tournament, and as a result, so do their kids..  What do you really want from a weekend tournament?? A 2 dollar medal, or an experience that makes you a better wrestler..  I have a big kid, and as a result, struggle to get brackets at times no matter what I would put down for experience, but my hope going into every tournament prior to today is that he get's enough competition to push him to at least struggle in one match if not take a loss.  I set the expectation going in that this is what we are hoping for.  does that make losses easy, no.. but he understands what's happening..  Today, and if he is fortunate enough to make it to Madison next week, we hope those tough matches we've had all year have prepared him to get a medal that actually means a little bit, and hoping over the course of the next few years to get ready to get one on the podium at HS State, where at actually DOES mean something!!  To me, local tournaments are a place to learn, and if you treat them like that, instead of having the expectations, and placing them on your child, that you need to win every one, you will actually place your child in a position to become a better wrestler instead of accumulating a shelf of medals and trophies that were awarded while wrestling easier competition than was available if you really put your kid at his skill level, or even bump him up a level or age group to get pushed..