Youth wrestlers and weight cutting or weight loss

Started by Jzelinski, January 19, 2015, 11:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jzelinski

I have been hearing some people talking about having their CHILDREN losing weight for youth regionals and state in march. In my opinion there is no place for this in youth wrestling! Especially for children who are only 12 and under (or even older in my opinion). Your children are growing! If you are just changing their diet a little by eating healthier for a half pound or so, ok maybe. Kids losing more than that is child abuse, all for a wrestling tournament? Makes no sense!  We are trying to make this a positive experience for these youngsters. We are placing to much emphasis on winning a youth tournament. Don't get me wrong I like to win just as much if not more than the next guy, but at what expense? I am not trying to raise a youth state champ! I am trying to foster a relationship with a sport for my young son that will teach him valuable lessons that will last a lifetime! Not burn him or her out and have them want to quit later when they are more able to decide things for themselves.

Sorry for the rant, but this topic makes me sick every time I hear a parent talking about this!

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

My son just took up the sport that I have loved for almost 40 years and my goal is for him to NEVER cut weight. I cringe when he even talks about how much cereal he can eat the day of a meet/tournament. I think there should be no weight control at all, perhaps with the exception of timing your intake on the morning of weigh ins.

The tricky part for these kids that do cut even a pound for regionals/state, they are going to have to now likely cut 2 or more pounds for a national tournament if they were to qualify.

Not in my house.

DocWrestling

The real trick is to have your kid weigh-in while holding and eating a sub sandwich or spend your time in weigh-lines talking about what you just ate.  Make sure the other kids around you hear and see you.  They will begin to call out their dads on it.

I always laugh when kids at youth tourneys are taking off everything and their socks to weigh less.  I did have my son weigh -in while eating a sandwich and the guy doing the weigh-ins freaked out a bit.  What would be his worry?  Can't a kid use that extra weight?  Are we worried about kids wrestling heavier than they are?

Just my way to make a statement while waiting in line while the few times my son has had to weigh in and we don't do many tournaments.  I never take my son out for breakfast but always did the mornings before tournaments to make a statement to him as well as myself.

The sad part is many a kid will not eat breakfast or lunch on the weigh-ins Friday for youth state.  Hockey players travel for tournaments and eat pizza and have fun.  Wrestlers starve themselves.  I wonder what the kids think is more fun.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

madeyson

A wise well known youth wrestling coach in the state once told me that once you start cutting weight you can never compete with your own weight - don't start cutting and you will never need to. I also remember him saying even as a high schooler the only meet he would cut for was Fargo - not even the regionals, sectionals, or state. My son has personally wrestled some kids this year that at later tournaments were 4 to 5 pounds lighter - and we are talking about 60-80 pound kids. Go look at the finalists for this past weekend Flo Tulsa Nationals - look at the weight some of those kids were wrestling earlier this year when the tournament wasn't so big. Don't get me wrong - during wrestling season my son is eating healthy - eggs for breakfast, lots of fruits and vegetables, chicken, turkey - and reducing the amount of junk food (i.e.pizza, candy, soda). But in my opinion that is called discipline, not cutting weight. To hear what some parents are doing to their kids - it's obvious why the sport is not gaining in popularity!

Say-Say

They see the high school kids doing it, and it becomes modeling. 

Not every high school kid has to cut weight, but since I've had kids in high school, I've never ever ever heard a coach tell a kid to weigh in with a sandwich or not to make weight, or to not worry about it.  A kid eating a sandwich on a scale at the high school level would be an insult to a teammate who had been starving all day.  Shoot, for a dual meet a kid will lose weight to take a forfeit to help out.  Or hold their weight all week and get bumped up to wrestle someone bigger. I don't mean any of that as an insult to above posters.  I get what you're saying.  ;) 

Who hasn't seen kids in HS take home the slip for parent consent to cut it, though?  Running halls, riding bikes, jumping rope.  If you don't make weight you're letting down the team.  Period.  Youth kids see that, too.

It's part of the culture.  I suppose it would have to change at the top.

Coachmom

Ok, so I'm probably gonna get my head ripped off in here but I'm gonna play devils advocate for a moment. And yes, absolutely, it does matter how how much a kid is cutting. Some do over do it, I know. I don't remember names, I was just scrolling comments. But someone talked about a kid who weighed 4# less than earlier in the year. That's very possible with just that a straight organic healthy diet and dedicated exercise. And if they have to cut a little water here and there cause someone brought a birthday treat to school, so be it. I've seen parents whose kids were .2 or .3 off and the parents wouldn't let um lose it. Why not? When were at a national my son wrestles harder than ever cause he knows it's his hard work and dedication that got him there. I bet everyone has a poster or shirt that has "mentally tough" or "real wrestlers are great cause their passion" this is where that passion and drive come in. I am trying to raise a champion AND develop a relationship with my son. We've had some our best memories, ones we'll both remember for life on the road. It's just my opinion but what valuable lessons does losing all the time do? I'm not saying your kid does, like I said I'm just giving my general opinion on cutting. But I also don't want my kid looking at me like he's not as tough or fit as the next guy. He would wanna quit then. And have a bad memory of wrestling. Right now my son is learning with hard work and dedication, you can do anything you set your mind to. This is a life lesson too. I guess all I'm saying is to each his own.

knowgangs

Quote from: Jzelinski on January 19, 2015, 11:12:49 AM
I have been hearing some people talking about having their CHILDREN losing weight for youth regionals and state in march. In my opinion there is no place for this in youth wrestling! Especially for children who are only 12 and under (or even older in my opinion). Your children are growing! If you are just changing their diet a little by eating healthier for a half pound or so, ok maybe. Kids losing more than that is child abuse, all for a wrestling tournament? Makes no sense!  We are trying to make this a positive experience for these youngsters. We are placing to much emphasis on winning a youth tournament. Don't get me wrong I like to win just as much if not more than the next guy, but at what expense? I am not trying to raise a youth state champ! I am trying to foster a relationship with a sport for my young son that will teach him valuable lessons that will last a lifetime! Not burn him or her out and have them want to quit later when they are more able to decide things for themselves.

Sorry for the rant, but this topic makes me sick every time I hear a parent talking about this!

I agree that there are some youth wrestlers who engage in unhealthy practices to lose weight, however I've also been very amused over the years by some parents who in vision starving deprived kids.  I've also noticed that often when I hear people bring this up (possibly not in this post) that many express their concerns over weight cutting NOT because they are concerned about the welfare of another child, but instead they are sharing their "concern" over the lack of success of their own wrestler and blame that on the size of a competitor or perceived weight loss.  

First, I'm not advocating weight loss to any wrestler or family.  And actually for the amount of wrestling my son has done, he has cut weight very little and when he does the loss has been minimal.  I very much agree that there are some who do it the wrong way, some parents who engage in abusive comments/behavior towards their wrestler and some who try to lose too much weight.  I agree that does occur but not to the scale that some assume.

My son has had the opportunity to compete in nearly 2 dozen states and 3 countries.  During these trips we have literately taken with us dozens of different Wisconsin wrestlers of all ages to compete at these events.  Nearly every single one was managing their weight during these trips.  Some of these wrestlers are now wrestling for D1 colleges and high schools.

We have attended more youth national wrestling events than I can count.  For the majority of kids managing their weight, it involves having a balanced diet, extra water intake and cutting out unhealthy food (soda, candy, ice cream, etc).  When my son is "cutting weight" he actually is eating more food and eating much more frequently.  Instead of soda he's actually drinking water (and the recommended amount of daily fluid intake), he's eating fruit and vegetables, chicken instead of beef and while at school he often chooses a healthy meal over a hamburger.

Here are some of the most common things I've seen done for youth wrestlers to lose weight (approx weight loss for a hydrated 90 pound 12 year old).
* Changing from an unhealthy diet to a healthy diet two weeks before event (lose 3 pounds)
* Instead of sleeping in underwear, sleeping one night in sweatshirt/sweatpants (lose 1/2 - 1 pound extra)
* Fasting two meals before weigh ins (lose 1 - 2 pounds)
* 20 minute Epson salt bath (1/2 - 1 pounds)
* Running 2 miles wearing sweatshirt/pants (1 - 2 pounds)
I don't think any of these things could be considered abusive or unhealthy.

There always seems to be a negative assumption of what "everyone else" is doing. Having spent time with many of our state's best youth wrestlers I can tell you I have never seen any of them engage in unsafe practices to lose weight.

Recently my son had a group of wrestling friends at the Dells.  Took them to a pizza buffet and two of them would only eat salad and vegetables.  Despite prodding and encouraging to eat pizza, they held firm.  Not because they didn't want pizza or fearful of their parents  (they weren't there).  It was because they had a tournament the next week and they wanted to make a specific weight.  Weight management isn't for everyone.  Having that disciple as a youngster is tough.  Even most adults don't have that discipline.  In that same respect, wrestling isn't for every kid as well.  Some kids are insecure wearing the singlet.  Some kids let their fear prevent them from stepping out on the mat.  

I think your perception of weight management on the youth level is misplaced and flat out wrong.  Will there be some crazy parents encouraging a kid to lose much weight and/or doing it unhealthily?  I agree 100%, however your perception of the process for the majority is not reality.

DocWrestling

Just remember the fun factor!  They are being "healthy" only during certain parts of the year and they will associate that with wrestling.  As they get older will they still think that is fun or are the hockey and basketball players having more fun.  Eating healthy and making good choices during the wrestling season is not physically unhealthy but it wears on kids mentally.  It also immediately teaches young kids that they can only be a good wrestler the lighter they are and that little bit becomes much more as they get older. 

knowgangs

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 19, 2015, 04:12:28 PM
The real trick is to have your kid weigh-in while holding and eating a sub sandwich or spend your time in weigh-lines talking about what you just ate.  Make sure the other kids around you hear and see you.  They will begin to call out their dads on it..... I did have my son weigh -in while eating a sandwich and the guy doing the weigh-ins freaked out a bit. ....

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 19, 2015, 04:12:28 PM
Just remember the fun factor!

I'm a bit confused?  (That happens a lot).  

In your first post you mention how you would have your son hold a sandwich in order to taunt other kids?  You said to make them "see and hear you."  Perhaps to make them feel bad?  Make them hungry?  Miserable? Unhappy?  All in order to "call out the dads".  Then in your second post you counsel all of us to remember it's just for fun.  (Which I agree 100%)  So how is instructing your wrestler to create a situation to make others feel uncomfortable creating a fun environment for other wrestlers?

Even further in your post when you say that eating healthy and making good choices is not unhealthy but wears on them mentally???  Again I am confused.  Shouldn't our kids always be encouraged to eat healthy and make good food choices?  As parents shouldn't we be helping our kids grow into productive healthy adults; helping them make good choices and providing them opportunities to increase their self-confidence, self-worth, motivation and self-discipline?  I believe all this can be done without sacrificing childhood and fun.  If any kid suffers mental anguish over the prospect of eating healthy, I'd suspect (again I'm no professional) that kid is going to have some serious health issues in their future if they don't learn to make proper food choices when they are young.  

DocWrestling

I see how you can take my weighing in with a sub sandwich as being mean to others.  I get that.  My point was to try and make kids ask their dads why they had to skip breakfast or could not eat that morning?  What is the dad going to say especially in a tournament that does not even have weight classes.

I do have a real problem with people using weight loss as being "healthy".  It is only healthy if those are the choices a child/family make year round.  Eating salad instead of pizza only during the wrestling season is not mentally or physically "healthy".  Heck eating an iceberg lettuce salad with no protein is not healthy at all for an athlete or growing boy.  Now if it has mostly spinach, eggs or meat in it, and some fresh vegetables then that is great but that is not what I usually see in kids.

To each their own.  My philosophy with my kids is that weight has nothing to do with how good of a wrestler they are or how good they can be.   My oldest is in the middle school program now and they work hard at practice every day.  I am encouraging him to eat more than he did prior to wrestling season because he is burning so many calories and breaking down muscle and I want him to grow and get bigger and stronger, not slow that process down.  The goal is to gain weight and not lose it.  As a dad that cut a lot of weight in my time, my hope is that he will never have to cut weight but if the High school team needs him to lose a few then that will be OK because he is sacrificing for the team, not because it is somehow going to make him a better wrestler.  There is no team concept in youth wrestling other than a few duals so why would any young kid try to get smaller?  Just my opinion

Jzelinski

The goal for these young wrestlers is to get them hooked and to find a love and passion for the sport we all love. Not to teach them how to maintain weight or lose weight at this point. As they progress through the years I can see us teaching the different aspects of eating healthier, making better consumption choices- Not weight cutting! I for one am not trying to teach my wrestlers how to lose weight. I will teach them how to eat to be their strongest and feel good physically and mentally in order to perform at a high level. My real irritation is the dehydration tactics and skipping meals to accomplish weight lose in order to get down to the next weight class because they will have a better chance. All for a youth event whether it be local, state, or national. Learning discipline and weight control should come at an older age than 10. They should be focused on learning technique, working hard, how to deal with success, failure, and most of all having fun. Help them develop a passion and the lifestyle will come as part of the process!

So with that being said I do not believe my perception of weight management, as some are calling it is wrong or misplaced. I know I am right on with this assessment.

I know some may be upset because they want there son or daughter to do better and feel slighted by this tactic, but that isn't me. I am purely looking at the health of these young growing future Champions! It is not healthy to obsessed with your weight at such a young age.

knowgangs

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 21, 2015, 11:10:50 AM
I see how you can take my weighing in with a sub sandwich as being mean to others.  I get that.  My point was to try and make kids ask their dads why they had to skip breakfast or could not eat that morning?  What is the dad going to say especially in a tournament that does not even have weight classes.

I didn't say it was mean--I just didn't understand if on one hand you are concerned about the happiness of wrestlers but then on the other you send your son out in an attempt to antagonize them in the hopes of proving something to their fathers?  Still makes absolutely no sense.  The two things you are expressing contradict.  Again, it really isn't a big deal--I find it funny, but at the same time for someone who says they are so concerned about the welfare of other people's kids, it makes your credibility diminish because that's not an action one would do or have their own kid do if they were truly concerned.  That's all I'm saying and no I'm not offended.

Some of the perceptions that people have are per silly as the original poster said it's child abuse if a 12 year old loses 1/2 a pound.  Their views do not match my experience of the majority of youth wrestlers in the state.

DocWrestling

Luckily the numbers of youth wrestlers that cut weight is a small minority.  The question I simply ask is why would you want to lose weight and be lighter in youth wrestling? 

Those that feel guilty often say they are just trying to get healthier and how kids are overweight.  That is easy to debate and prove that it is not healthy to do it that way (only during wrestling season or with many different strategies) and any pediatrician would back me up.   The great majority of males that end up with eating disorders are wrestlers with gymnasts and body builders just behind

Those that are honest will tell you that it gives their son a competitive advantage.  This is a tougher debate as nobody really knows either way but then the discussion is often why are you so worried about a competitive edge in youth wrestling?  Winning a youth wrestling tournament or taking last does not help or hurt the chances that the wrestler will actually wrestle in high school or how good he will be in high school.

It is even more fun to ask the kids themselves why they are losing weight?  some will say there parents want them too, most will say because they have a better chance of winning, and other will say to get healthy.

Again every poll ever done with youth athletes that asks why do they play that sport ends with the #1 answer being "because it is fun".  I am pretty sure that 95% of all former wrestlers that cut weight will tell you that cutting weight was not fun.  Most would love to have the chance to go through wrestling never cutting weight.  Heck you could as all adults if losing weight/dieting is fun and 95% would say no.  So why do it with our young growing athletes.

imnofish

Quote from: Jzelinski on January 21, 2015, 12:06:16 PM
The goal for these young wrestlers is to get them hooked and to find a love and passion for the sport we all love. Not to teach them how to maintain weight or lose weight at this point. As they progress through the years I can see us teaching the different aspects of eating healthier, making better consumption choices- Not weight cutting! I for one am not trying to teach my wrestlers how to lose weight. I will teach them how to eat to be their strongest and feel good physically and mentally in order to perform at a high level. My real irritation is the dehydration tactics and skipping meals to accomplish weight lose in order to get down to the next weight class because they will have a better chance. All for a youth event whether it be local, state, or national. Learning discipline and weight control should come at an older age than 10. They should be focused on learning technique, working hard, how to deal with success, failure, and most of all having fun. Help them develop a passion and the lifestyle will come as part of the process!

So with that being said I do not believe my perception of weight management, as some are calling it is wrong or misplaced. I know I am right on with this assessment.

I know some may be upset because they want there son or daughter to do better and feel slighted by this tactic, but that isn't me. I am purely looking at the health of these young growing future Champions! It is not healthy to obsessed with your weight at such a young age.

Great post!  Great perspective!   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!