Wisconsin Frog Boyz - TEAM TRY OUTS ARE NOW CLOSED

Started by knowgangs, August 20, 2014, 10:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowgangs

I am posting this message for Matt Ochs.  For the past couple years Matt has been putting together a Wisconsin team (Wisconsin All-Stars) that comprises some of the best middle school wrestlers in our state.  This will be their 3rd year competing in Virginia (National Middle School Duals) and Missouri (Liberty National Duals).

The following message is from Matt:

QuoteHello Wisconsin wrestlers!!! My name is Matt Ochs and I am the head coach of the Wisconsin All-star Wrestling Team. I'm looking for dedicated hard working young men to represent our great state against the top middle school athletes across America in one of the toughest duel tournaments in the nation. The Virginia Challenge Holiday Duals will take place December,12-14 2014 in Richmond, Virginia.   Weigh-Ins are on the 11th.

Any families with interest please let me know.

My son Hunter did the trip last year and was a great experience.  It's a great preparatory trip for our middle school aged youth getting ready for high school.  Wrestlers interested in the trip should be prepared or have experience wrestling at the highest level.  Virtually every match they have (possibly up to 10) will be against a state and/or national champ.  

There will be wrestle offs for spots, however Matt has final say in who makes the team.  Wrestle offs are tentatively planned for October to allow families plenty of time to make travel arrangements. Wrestle offs will be done either in Madison or Milwaukee area.  

Last year most of us flew out and some drove.  If there is some parents who cannot make the trip there is plenty of adults coming out that your wrestler will be able to go with.  Alternates will be welcomed and they will get 3 - 4 matches plus exhibition matches.  

Weight Classes
70/75/80/84/88/92/96/100/105/112/119/126/135/150/180/230

Although it is a bit difficult to determine what your wrestler might weigh in December, whatever weight you choose they must make.  Although I'm not advocating cutting weight--this is a team event and failure to make the weight you select negatively affects the entire team.  This is for middle school aged youth 6 - 8.  

For the past couple years, Matt put together this team which gave his younger brother and other wrestlers an excellent opportunity and experience.  His brother is now in high school and he has decided to continue to offer this experience to our Wisconsin wrestling youth.  I know that he spends much of his free time seeking out donations to make the event possible and to keep the wrestler's expense minimum.   He takes off time from work to be there and does a great job motivating and coaching our youth.  This event is not sponsored by any specific club nor the WWF.  In your correspondence with Matt remember it is a privilege and great opportunity for our youth to get this opportunity.  If you or your business is in the position to make a donation to the team, let me know and I can put you in touch with Matt.

If your wrestler is interested in trying out for the team (and you feel they are ready for this level of competition) you can PM me, contact Matt directly or type me on Facebook.

Jared Lewis

8/22/14 3:42 PM I've been updating the interest list so keep checking back.

Here is a list of the teams registered for the tournament.

1.Virginia Black

2. Virginia Gold

3. Central Region Elite, VA

4. Bellator, GA

5. Ohio Titians

6. 'The Crew' Dream Team NC

7. Contender Elite / Florida 2 8.

Georgia Minions Green

9. Team California

10. Texas Dynamite

11. SC Palmetto

12. Jr Terp Red, MD

13. Jr Terps Black MD

14. Jr Terps Xtreme

15. Team PA Blue

16. Team PA Gold

17. Team Abe National

18. NJ Elite

19. NJ Scorpions Gold

20. NJ Scorpions Black

21. FLA / 1

22. Team Oklahoma

23. Morris Fitness

24. Team Northeast

25. Michigan USA Gold

26. Mile High Colorado

27. Wisconsin All Stars

28. Team Utah

29. South Jersey -

30. BTW Ohio

31. Iowa Black

32. Iowa Hawks

MidwestWI

I would like to know how this list is comprised. I see several "best" middle school wrestlers are not included and some I would question being on a All Star Wisconsin Team, like for instance having a kid from another state representing Wisconsin.

knowgangs

Quote from: MidwestWI on August 21, 2014, 10:16:10 PM
I would like to know how this list is comprised. I see several "best" middle school wrestlers are not included and some I would question being on a All Star Wisconsin Team, like for instance having a kid from another state representing Wisconsin.

As I stated in the post we are seeking the best middle schoolers in the state. This is a list of those who are interested in the team and can have the opportunity to wrestle off.  From the tone of your message I get the feeling you are concerned that someone you know is not on the list and perhaps feeling a bit left out?  If that's the case and your wrestler is interested in trying out for the team, let me know and we'll be happy to include them in wrestle offs.  And honestly to come on this forum and "question" any of these kids getting an opportunity to try out for the team makes me shake my head.   

I look forward to your suggestions of kids you think should be trying out for the team.  Feel free to contact me directly.

wrestlinglife1

Technically not a MN kid. He is from the Fox Valley and was recruited to Apple Valley....

knowgangs

Quote from: wrestlinglife1 on August 21, 2014, 11:29:22 PM
Technically not a MN kid. He is from the Fox Valley and was recruited to Apple Valley....

...and he assisted our team in both Virgina and Liberty Nationals last year, as did a couple other wrestlers from other states to fill empty weight classes.

Tonto

knowgangs

@Tonto - you are all set.

@MidwestWI - I received your private email with a list of wrestlers that you felt weren't the best.  I'm guessing this was the group that you originally stated in your first comment that you questioned their qualifications to be on the team?  I checked out the names you didn't like and 3 of the 4 are former state champs and/or some had repeatedly done extremely well at national events.  The 4th placed at state many times and is a top notch wrestler with a ton of national wrestling experience.  You also gave me the list of kids you felt I "left out."  First, no one left out any kids.  I think in your zeal to express your frustration that your wrestler was not on our list, you failed to notice that I put this message on the forum (at the direction of Matt) to seek out anyone interested in joining the team.  No one has been left out--if that list of wrestlers you gave me wants to try for the team, great.  Have them contact us.  I actually think a couple of the names on that list you gave me has a good shot of getting a spot on the team, but no matter what all are given the opportunity to try--even the kids that you question...

Regarding the message you sent me telling me what aspects of this you have a problem with and telling me what should have been done last year, etc....Oh boy. 

Honestly, it's your attitude and comments that people don't like organizing events like this.  This event is not sponsored by your club.  It's not sponsored by the WWF.  Be happy that someone you don't know is organizing an event like this for our youth and opening up the opportunity to anyone.  Be happy that your little wrestler has a chance to wrestle off for a spot.  Be happy that the team organizer/coach spends his own hours getting sponsors for the event to cover the registration fees and other much of the other expenses so it's not an additional burden on your family.  Be happy he takes time off from work to give our youth this opportunity. 

I've been updating the list as more names come in.  Keep 'em coming.

Mommabear

My son participated in this event last year.  I cannot stress how incredible of an opportunity it was!  It was a great time and OUTSTANDING wrestling.

Matt Ochs did a fantastic job.  If you have an opportunity to get your wrestler on the team, do it.  You won't regret it.   

knowgangs

I spoke to Matt and he had some great news.  The team is now sponsored by the Navy Seals.  The team name is now Wisconsin Frog Team and the singlets and uniforms will reflect the Seal team name and logo. 

Wrestle offs will be at Advance School of Wrestling on Sunday October 19 in Madison, Wisconsin at 2 PM.   A WIAA referee will be there and depending on his availability Jesse Thielke will be running a team practice.  In order to be considered for the team we need your name and weight class ASAP.  Wrestlers can try for 1 weight class and will be given a 3 pound allowance at wrestle offs (plus the 1 pound allowance granted at the tournament).  So if you were going for the 150 weight class you would need to be no greater than 154 at wrestle offs (1 pound tournament allowance + 3 pound wrestle off allowance).  Questions, send me a private message.

knowgangs

Additional information was emailed out late last night.  If your wrestler is on the list and you did not receive an email let me know.

nutman

This is great!  If we are sending a team with the name Wisconsin, it appears there is very transparent process and provides an opportunity for any Wisconsin youth wrestler to participate.  Although I am sure some athletes with past success will be encouraged to try, it is clear there is an opportunity for anybody who has the ability to contribute.  Last year, two teams were organized depending on their club affiliation and coaching connections.   There were really few issues with this arrangement as both teams finished in the top 3 at Liberty.   This year it really appears that there is an effort to create a united front.

Parents if you are little hesitant to give this a try, I will tell you it will require some depth.  Based on watching my son wrestle on dual teams at Liberty the past couple of years, this is an opportunity to get 6-10 matches over the weekend. In fact, Kansas brought in some fresh wrestlers just for the dual meet on Sunday.   

To put this team together takes some time, coordination, and effort...so hat's off for organizing this.  I would also say if there are some wrestlers who are good, but maybe do not make the Wisconsin Frog Team via wrestle-offs that there is nothing wrong with another parent or coach organizing a second team to get more matches.  The dual meet team on day 2 is organized by pools and they try to separate teams from the same states.  What is so great about the dual meet is the comrade that is developed from wrestlers from different areas of the state as a result of being on a team.   

knowgangs

Quote from: nutman on September 10, 2014, 01:01:13 PM
This is great!  If we are sending a team with the name Wisconsin, it appears there is very transparent process and provides an opportunity for any Wisconsin youth wrestler to participate.  Although I am sure some athletes with past success will be encouraged to try, it is clear there is an opportunity for anybody who has the ability to contribute.  Last year, two teams were organized depending on their club affiliation and coaching connections.   There were really few issues with this arrangement as both teams finished in the top 3 at Liberty.   This year it really appears that there is an effort to create a united front.

Parents if you are little hesitant to give this a try, I will tell you it will require some depth.  Based on watching my son wrestle on dual teams at Liberty the past couple of years, this is an opportunity to get 6-10 matches over the weekend. In fact, Kansas brought in some fresh wrestlers just for the dual meet on Sunday.   

To put this team together takes some time, coordination, and effort...so hat's off for organizing this.  I would also say if there are some wrestlers who are good, but maybe do not make the Wisconsin Frog Team via wrestle-offs that there is nothing wrong with another parent or coach organizing a second team to get more matches.  The dual meet team on day 2 is organized by pools and they try to separate teams from the same states.  What is so great about the dual meet is the comrade that is developed from wrestlers from different areas of the state as a result of being on a team.   

Right now are focus is for Virginia and not Liberty.  It is impossible to organize another team for the Virginia Duals--they are full.  They only accept a certain amount of teams each year and the only reason a Wisconsin team has been getting in is because of Matt's connections with the tournament organizers.  I'm sure when Liberty comes around again (I believe in Feb) there will be enough interest for two Wisconsin teams.

Some people have asked me about the competition level at Virginia in relation to other tournaments.  In my opinion the competition level at this tournament is the toughest I've seen in the country and harder than ASIC nationals and schoolboy duals.  At ASIC nationals you have kids of all levels in a bracket.  At this Virginia tournament you can expect every single match will be against a top notch competitor.  For some states, it's extremely competitive and you'll see a lot of weight cutting and some pretty intense duals between some of the teams.

We are closing the list soon so if you have a wrestler interested you would need to PM me ASAP with their name and what weight they will go.

knowgangs

The team try out list is now closed.  We have a full list.  For those of you who submitted your wrestler's name should have received an email about wrestle offs on 10/19.  If you haven't received the email let me know ASAP.

Adian Medora
Alex Guardiola
Boyd Biggs
Brandon Micksch canceled
Brent Miller
Cade Spilde
Cole Bavery
Cole Ramos
Colton Clary
Derek Martin
Devon Gore
Eric Barnett
Eric Bauer
Gavon Brown
Grayson Vandenbush
Hudson Mountjoy
Hunter Lewis
Ian Laatch
Jackson Hauri
Jager Clark
Jake Deates
Jalen Spuhler
Joey Bianchi
Joey Colla
Jon Bailey
Jon Diener canceled
Keegan O'Toole
Kevin Meicher
Kolbe De Los Angeles
Logan Zschernitz
Lucas Nygaard
Mason Campshure canceled
Mike Smith
Nolan Parr
Paxton Creese
Payton Jacobson
Rowen Wipperfurth
Sam Mitchell
Will Raatz

wrestlinglife1

Are there results from the wrestle offs? Can you post the lineup?