Creative Recipes for Walleye?

Started by imnofish, December 26, 2014, 03:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

So far, the view from my son-in-law's living room is producing at least 2 nice walleyes nightly.  Would really appreciate any recipes that don't involve frying them.  Trying to eat healthier in 2015.   :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Go poor man's lobster.

Get some water, seasoned with salt and a bit of sugar, to a boil. You want it kind of deep.

Cut walleye into single-serving chunks. You only need to boil it for a few seconds, and you're done.

Top with butter, or olive oil with good salt, and you're on.

I'm thinking walleye might be perfect in an e'touffee. Little more work; but one of my favorite meals.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigG

I've often thought of making my own sous vide cooker (where you vacuum the meat and veggies w/some broth in a food grade bag and cook it low and slow). Seems to be a great way to cook lean cuts.

The actual sous vide cookers ain't cheap.

If you're "healthy" means high-pro/low-carb, you can make a hollandaise that will go on steamed fish (or the po man's lobster) that will have calories, but really high quality protein; especially if you use farm eggs for the hollandaise. That and the hollandaise on the side brussels sprouts/greens/baked parsnips will bring a decadent smile to your face.

bigG

Great, and healthy, way to prepare bluegill is to place fillets in a steamer, they'll curl up like shrimp. I cool them, dip them in cocktail sauce; but a healthier dip, I'm sure, could be made.

Okay, I'll let this die.

Awright, one last one. Either grill or caste iron the walleye and make fish tacos with pico de gallo (easiest thing ya ever made), from onions, little red bell, little hot pepper, squeeze of lime, cilantro, some salt.

imnofish

Great ideas!  Definitely "food for thought."  Thanks!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

ramjet

Here is my favorite;

Go to the local little tavern down the road, look the waitress in the eye and order Walleye with home made American Potatoe salad, fresh rye bread and home made coleslaw. A Southern Comfort Old Fashion sweet (diet 7-up). Pay and tip the waitress it is heavenly..........😇

imnofish

Now, that's a recipe that even I couldn't mess up!  The rye bread's a nice touch.   ;D

bigG

Yes sir. Potato salad is a nice touch. I like fries; but with fried fish can get a little oily.

Love rye...HATE caraway seeds.