WIAA Winter Sport Guidelines

Started by CoachA, October 09, 2020, 01:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

I don't think I'd ever feel confident that a waiver has me covered. The best attorneys think outside the box.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

First off isnt this just a proposal.

Second wasnt there something a month or 2 back that was also a proposal.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Also, a school can opt not to join the wiaa as did some schools several years ago. You cannt compete in the state series but can have a normal season in sports just no state.

A school if opting out has to supply their own refs and pay for them but they then also get to keep the entire money at the gate,

So.......I believe schools do not have to be wiaa if they chose not to.

littleguy301

I look at this as an assault on wrestling of some nature.

Basketball gets 20 games and a star player can play all 32 minutes of a game or. 640 minutes a season. A star wrestler will get a total of maybe 48 minutes eith 8 duals and 6 minute matches that is if no ff and every match goes the distance.

So tell the basketball coach he can only play his star 2 to 4 minutes a game and he has to be shut down. How would that go over in the basketball community.

So if I look at this correctly I feel that wrestling is being discriminated against!

DarkKnight

It's early in the fall yet, things will change.

bigG

Agreed. The WIAA is walking delicately. Gotta show we can do this.

I also agree with Littleguy. Seems to be much love for hoops and the stink eye to wrestling.

blacknblue

Email sent. Please consider voicing your opinion.
wlabecki@wiaawi.org
You can drill and waste your time or you can drill and get better. Either way we're going to drill! - D.G.

GO BLUE!!

Numbers

Would having the student athletes (instead of parents) contact the WIAA individually or as a team help show the WIAA the athletes want a normal wrestling season?

Is there any COVID guidance from USA wrestling about expectation for frequency of mat cleaning for a tournament environment that Wisconsin could adopt?  I think there should be waivers, but there also needs to be a list of written expectations to mitigate risk that is also part of the equation.

I would think a tournament in West Allis, Fond du Lac, and Wausau should all have a certain base/minimum level of COVID precautions in place statewide.  Having something like that may help get the WIAA on board.

littleguy301

Quote from: Numbers on October 12, 2020, 07:11:23 PM
Would having the student athletes (instead of parents) contact the WIAA individually or as a team help show the WIAA the athletes want a normal wrestling season?

Is there any COVID guidance from USA wrestling about expectation for frequency of mat cleaning for a tournament environment that Wisconsin could adopt?  I think there should be waivers, but there also needs to be a list of written expectations to mitigate risk that is also part of the equation.

I would think a tournament in West Allis, Fond du Lac, and Wausau should all have a certain base/minimum level of COVID precautions in place statewide.  Having something like that may help get the WIAA on board.

I have to toss this in just because ;D

Since their is no more collect bargaining for the public sectors, the wiaa does not have to listen to anyone from public schools.

Sorry I had to ;D

I really doubt the wiaa will listen to high school kids. They do as they please but what is really sad they believe they are the best and dont communicate with other states as to what is the best interest for the kids and sports.

This has been bear to death but look at all the off season wrestling and what those tournaments did, that should be a marker for any school of state to look at.

padre

I would hope no coaches are just sitting idly by and allowing the season to go like this.  I do believe there will be a postseason as I don't believe basketball won't have one but it doesn't say anything about it in the guidelines sent.  I think it will get revisited at some point but the more pressure being put on the better. 

Again...these are guidelines and schools are going to either follow or not follow.

littleguy301

Quote from: padre on October 12, 2020, 11:17:33 PM
I would hope no coaches are just sitting idly by and allowing the season to go like this.  I do believe there will be a postseason as I don't believe basketball won't have one but it doesn't say anything about it in the guidelines sent.  I think it will get revisited at some point but the more pressure being put on the better. 

Again...these are guidelines and schools are going to either follow or not follow.

That is what is confusing. One proposal has a state series and the other does not have anything in there about it. Is it going to be addressed later in the season?

They are very vague about this

padre

Volleyball was the same.  I know last week they still weren't sure if there was going to be a post season. Not sure what was decided.

bigG

I think "guidelines" translates to CYA. If we can open and show early success in dealing with our Virus preparedness, we'll have a post season. Let's get 'em folded, so we can proceed.

Ghetto

I'm far too lazy to scroll through the previous five pages of the thread, so I apologize for the repetition of ideas.

This is complete BS.

If I wrestle in a dual, I wrestle one match. It may go the entire six minutes, or I (which is more likely) get pinned in the first period. My exposure is to ONE KID. If that kid doesn't' have Covid, I'm good, no matter how long I was out there.

If I am a basketball player, not only am I guarding the guy in front of me, I could in theory have to guard all five guys on the floor(and any kid who plays in that game). My exposure on the floor alone is basically anyone in the gym, because if one guy has it, anyone that plays has the opportunity to spread it to the next person he guards. One game could spread from a single case to the entire gym full of players.

Assuming the 14 dates are now 14 duals (I didn't see any restriction on competitions for kids in the bulletin) , we will have to get creative with our scheduling. Anyone want to dual our team with 8 kids? Can we bring two kids one day, have them wrestle in a separate room other than the wrestling room and then they can wrestle 6 days later? I've already got a calendar out trying to figure it out for our kids.

While I agree with the temperature check at weigh-ins, it's far too vague. There's no number. Just put a line in the sand. 100 or something. The language is open to interpretation.

I feel like we have to go outside the WIAA for a season. I shouldn't say that, but this is a knife in the back for wrestling. It could literally stop schools from having teams. Why would our kids practice every day to wrestle 6-10 times?

There are schools out there with "wrestling ADs" that may allow their gyms to be rented on a Saturday/Sunday for an "open" tournament that coincides with CDC guidelines for people per square foot, etc. If a kid participated in an "off season" tournament, what is their penalty? (that's a real question). Would they be suspended for a certain amount of meets? Or would they be not allowed to wrestle in the post-season? Because if there is no post season, there's no reason NOT to have open tournaments.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

If schools are nervous, I wonder if our clubs couldn't step up and "rent" the facility.

Almost all wrestlers practice for the shot at regionals, sectionals, state, state champ. That's the dream. I like the idea behind doubling matches by reducing mat time.

But, yeah, hoops got much love wrestling didn't out of this.