Thielke, Medbery taking Olympic Redshirts

Started by WW_1995, July 01, 2015, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW_1995

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/14583

Think this hurts the badgers next year obviously, but could benefit them in 2016-2017.  Zeke, Medbery, and RT will be SR's, and hopefully at their peaks, along with bringing in some good recruits, allowing the youth to develop more and improve, will hopefully have a pretty nice lineup in 2016-2017.  Not sure if Thielke will be able to crack back into the lineup or not at that point especially with all that time spent on Greco , or if he'll be interested as i've seen posted here many times, but if he does, then that's even more experience on the team. 

leg turk

The Badgers just went from 14th, to 19th.

Ivan Stankowski

Wait till the year after next. We are going to have to change our slogan

billymurphy

I agree with both guys taking Olympic Redshirts.
Thielke has the better chance to make the Olympic team
of course, but the experience Medbery gets gives him
a much better chance to win a NCAA title.
Almost certainly, the Badgers team will be much better in
2017 than in 2016. This does show the need to get
a quality heavyweight replacement for Medbery ASAP.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

npope

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on July 01, 2015, 09:55:13 PM
5th Year Senior Brock Horwath is the next man up at 285

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/brock_horwath_779682.html

Of course there will be a drop off in production if Medbery takes the Olympic redshirt (you don't just replace a guy like Medbery), but I have to say that I am pleased that Horwath will get his day in the sun. Not many guys would be willing to hang around for four or five years theses days and play second fiddle. And, given the size of heavyweights, they can't practice with just anyone - they need another big body to go with. Horwath was willing to take on that role for Medbery and the team. So, I for one am totally on board with Horwath and will applaud him at every turn - I hope he surprises us all with a couple of big wins next year. What a great example for the other teammates as well as a lesson in life.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

mkm13

We were either going to be weak at Heavyweight next year or the year after, depending on if Medbery took the year off.  Next year we will have a reasonable replacement (Horwath).  The year after we would have been relying on either Schmidt or a true freshman to step in.  Medbery taking the year off also allows the heavyweight we recruit this year (hopefully Gremmel) to redshirt and have a year to develop before getting thrown in the lineup.

Thielke redshirting is a no brainer, given how good he is at Greco.

MAGMA

Regardless if you like/dislike Barry I give both him and Connor their props. as this sounds like more of an academic move. Wrestling is important, but school is #1 priority. Connor seems to have his life and priorities in order-kudos to him.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

If Connor is going to take an Olympic Redshirt to get into Medical School, can he still get a Medical Redshirt in the future? :-)

All kidding aside, that would be an incredible accomplishment.  Dr. Medbery has a good ring to it !!

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

badgerjohn

Quote from: futurerichguy on July 02, 2015, 02:34:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Spencer Mango places at the Worlds this year, Thielke will have to win the challenge tournament first, while Mango only has to win 2 of 3 to make the Olympic team against the challenge tournament champ.

Ha Ha, a Medical Redshirt for Medbery, nice.

If you were asking freestyle I think yes.  Greco did things way different this season. The WTT for greco was one more match after the open.  My guess the powers that be have not yet decided the criteria and procedures for next season.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

bigG

I'm thrilled for the both of 'em and can't wait to see how they do, international. Horwath taking the bull by the --- is perfect. Student-athlete. Win or lose, we'll have some ammo.

I d, at times, wonder about that training making them better in folk. Some yes, some no.

Either way, I hope they kick butt.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

dad 2 5

Exciting to see two Badgers that close and a third (Ricky R) not that far off.

As for the HWY, Brock could surprise a few people. He pushes Connor well in the room but obviously a drop off in points at the B1G and NCAA. Someone else will need to step up for points.

Is it true Coach Trevor talked to a HWY today recruiting? Couple important days this week!!!

Harris

Quote from: npope on July 02, 2015, 07:00:26 AM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on July 01, 2015, 09:55:13 PM
5th Year Senior Brock Horwath is the next man up at 285

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/brock_horwath_779682.html

Of course there will be a drop off in production if Medbery takes the Olympic redshirt (you don't just replace a guy like Medbery), but I have to say that I am pleased that Horwath will get his day in the sun. Not many guys would be willing to hang around for four or five years theses days and play second fiddle. And, given the size of heavyweights, they can't practice with just anyone - they need another big body to go with. Horwath was willing to take on that role for Medbery and the team. So, I for one am totally on board with Horwath and will applaud him at every turn - I hope he surprises us all with a couple of big wins next year. What a great example for the other teammates as well as a lesson in life.

Well said!